Possible relocation to West Denver

Anthony Sloan

Guest
There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge area.

What is the riding scene like? Within an hour of town are there some decent options?

How long does the riding season last?

Thanks in advance for helpful replies...

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge
area.

> What is the riding scene like? Within an hour of town are there some decent options?
>
> How long does the riding season last?
>
> Thanks in advance for helpful replies...

Anthony, There are several areas near the west side of Denver within 1/2 an hour of Golden. White
Ranch, Apex and the trails in that area; Jefferson County is pretty bike friendly on many of its
trails. But they do get crowded, particularly in the summer evenings and weekends. You have a few
million people in the Denver metro area using a limited supply of trails, and Jefferson county is
the nearest set. The season is pretty much all year, snow does not usually stay around too long, it
might be a little cooler than Austin, but certainly very ridable. As you head up into the mountains
on I70, more rides become available, but you have the I70 traffic. On a Friday afternoon before a 3
day weekend it can be stop and go for many miles. On Sunday afternoons it can take you nearly 4
hours to get back from Breckenridge, which would be a 2 hour drive on most other days.

For me, it was easy to decide to move away from the Denver metro area, I got tired of the crowds,
attitudes, traffic. But if you like big city attractions, Denver would be a good choice.

The Wheat Ridge Cyclery is probably one of my favorite bike shops.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

Thanks for the info. Denver certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but it is a heck of a lot closer
to Colorado than where I am now.

Anthony Sloan wrote:
> There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge area.
>
> What is the riding scene like? Within an hour of town are there some decent options?
>
> How long does the riding season last?
>
> Thanks in advance for helpful replies...

See: http://ww2.co.jefferson.co.us/ext/dpt/comm_res/openspac/leadpg2.htm and
http://infonectar.com/trails/trailinfo/whiteranch/white.html for some good info. Its been a couple
years since I've riden there, so I can't address the latest conditions (or mtb restrictions), but
generally speaking you'll ride Jefferson County Open Space trails. Golden and Wheat Ridge are in
JeffCo IIRC. Starting from a few miles (like 4) North of Golden off highway 93 is White Ranch. Lots
of climbing, some good fast single track descents that are open enough you won't have to worry about
creaming peds and sh!t machines (Um what do they call them? Oh yeah, horses.) Not that much really
technical riding, but lots of fun. Golden Gate State Park is a few miles west of Golden up one of
the best crotch rocket roads in the state. Didn't ride there much, just recall that it was sandy.
Matthews/Winters/Red Rocks is just South of I-70/Morison. All single track. Heavily used. Lots of
dinosaur fossils have come out of the hogback here (ever heard of "Morison Formation" sandstone in
the Moab area?) Next South is Apex (Far West end of Colfax Ave. behind Heritage Square). All single
track, lots of climbing and switchbacks. Otherwise not technical although I seriously separated my
shoulder there 10 years ago-'nother story. Just West of Golden(?) is Mt. Falcon. Good climb fast
descent (comments Tom P?) At the far SW corner of the Metro Area is Waterton Canyon. Turn left just
before the rocket plant (Lockeed/Martin). Park and ride along the South Platte up the closed road 6
miles (fast warmup) to the start of the Colorado Trail. Well groomed single track with one moderate
climb/descent after another. Green Mt. in Golden (East of 470) is pretty much open when there's no
snow on the ground in Golden (11 months of the year!) Mostly single track groomers. Also West
of Boulder is Walker Ranch. Good single track, some very technical spots. All of these rides
are in the foothills. Most are clear at least 9 months out of the year. All are less than
about 30 min drive from Golden (except maybe Walker), some are ride ups from Golden. This is a
good start at the riding in the area.

Cheers, Shawn Salida, CO

P.S. Why the move?

Craig Brossman wrote:

> "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge
>
> area.
>
>>What is the riding scene like? Within an hour of town are there some decent options?
>>
>>How long does the riding season last?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for helpful replies...

> Anthony, There are several areas near the west side of Denver within 1/2 an hour of Golden. White
> Ranch, Apex and the trails in that area; Jefferson County is pretty bike friendly on many of its
> trails. But they do get crowded, particularly in the summer evenings and weekends. You have a few
> million people in the Denver metro area using a limited supply of trails, and Jefferson county is
> the nearest set. The season is pretty much all year, snow does not usually stay around too long,
> it might be a little cooler than Austin, but certainly very ridable. As you head up into the
> mountains on I70, more rides become available, but you have the I70 traffic. On a Friday afternoon
> before a 3 day weekend it can be stop and go for many miles. On Sunday afternoons it can take you
> nearly 4 hours to get back from Breckenridge, which would be a 2 hour drive on most other days.
>
> For me, it was easy to decide to move away from the Denver metro area, I got tired of the crowds,
> attitudes, traffic. But if you like big city attractions, Denver would be a good choice.
>
> The Wheat Ridge Cyclery is probably one of my favorite bike shops.
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

The Denver area's character has changed a lot in the pat 10 years, for the crowded worse
unfortunately. I was so busy typing I forgot to mention Wheat Ridge Cyclery. I used to drive from
Boulder to do business with them. If Salida didn't have Absolute Bikes, another truly great shop,
I'd still be Wheat Ridge's customer.

Shawn

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the info. Denver certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but it is a heck of a lot
> closer to Colorado than where I am now.

Yeah, it's really close to Colorado!

Matt

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge area.
>
> What is the riding scene like? Within an hour of town are there some decent options?
>
> How long does the riding season last?
>
> Thanks in advance for helpful replies...

I know that what they call "singletrack" gets up to 10' wide.

JD

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote

> There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge area.

Denver sucks.

Oh, wait. You're moving from Austin. Never mind.

CC

> Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge
area.

> > What is the riding scene like? Within an hour of town are there some decent options?
> >
> > How long does the riding season last?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for helpful replies...
>
> I know that what they call "singletrack" gets up to 10' wide.
>
> JD

LMAO.

TJ

Shawn Curry wrote:

<snip>

> This is a good start at the riding in the area.
>
> Cheers, Shawn Salida, CO
>
> P.S. Why the move?

Thanks for all of the helpful information. It's nice to see that folks can still answer questions on
usenet.. ;*)

The move is precipitated by a very decent job offer.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge area.
>

> Denver sucks.
>
> Oh, wait. You're moving from Austin. Never mind.
>
> CC

Thanks for the incredibly snotty reply.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote

> Thanks for the incredibly snotty reply.

You're welcome. Thanks for the terrific sense of humor.

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:

>Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote
>

>>Thanks for the incredibly snotty reply.
>>

>You're welcome. Thanks for the terrific sense of humor.
>
>CC

May I humbly suggest ":)" or "<jk>", or (my favorite), " ;*) "

Corvus Corvax wrote: <snip>
> As for Austin, it's a real shithole IMO, made infinitely worse by the fact that it's full of
> people who spend all of their time rattling on about how absolutely terrific Austin is, like if
> they keep saying it, it will be true. It's not. Of course, that's Texans for you. Texans aren't
> friendly. Texans are deranged and scary. Combine that with that ubiquitous, loony "Texas Pride",
> and the overall effect is of a huge state populated entirely by village idiots.

All of whom moved here and spoiled everything when they fled California in the 1990s.

Anthony Sloan wrote:

> There is a slim chance that we may be moving to the Golden/Wheat Ridge area.
>
> What is the riding scene like? Within an hour of town are there some decent options?
>
> How long does the riding season last?
>
> Thanks in advance for helpful replies...

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. This really looks like it may happen.

Places are places. We imbue them with our own perceptions. It would be great to be able to wave a
wand and be able to live wherever I wanted to. And when they start handing out tickets to that
existence, please let me know.

As I said before, the Denver area wouldn't be my first choice, but it is close to a lot of really
good country. Sounds as if I'll be able to ride a mountain bike there as well. As long as there is
fresh produce and a decent independent record store, I'll be able to eke out some sort of existence.
Even if all of the trails are ten feet wide...

;*)

Leaving Austin will be difficult. Not because I think it is the greatest place on earth. But because
it is home. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Destination__Barton_Creek_Greenbelt.html
http://www.anthonysloan.com/Walnut_Creek.html

Besides, I'll really miss all of the baseless generalizations about Texas.

(again... ;*) )

Craig Brossman wrote:

> And, having personally met Mr. Sloan, I can tell you he is not the stereotypical Texan, in fact,
> I'ld like to talk him to moving to my part of Colorado.

Thanks, Mang!

Would that DGO were a menu option.... Lemme check. Nope, still ghosted out. But this is one
step closer.

It's definitely on our radar.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Craig Brossman wrote:
>
> > And, having personally met Mr. Sloan, I can tell you he is not the stereotypical Texan, in fact,
> > I'ld like to talk him to moving to my part
of
> > Colorado.
>
> Thanks, Mang!
>
> Would that DGO were a menu option.... Lemme check. Nope, still ghosted out. But this is one
> step closer.
>
> It's definitely on our radar.

> My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

You'll have a great time in the Denver area, try to see lots of concerts at Red Rocks. Despite my
happiness to get away (which has a lot to do with the fact that I am not a city person), your work
schedule will allow you to take advantage of the less crowded times up in the mountains and at the
local trails.

4 hours to Fruita, 3 hours to Salida, 1.5 hours to Winter Park/Fraser, 2 hours to Leadville and of
course, 6.5 hours to Durango.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

----------
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Corvus
Corvax) wrote:

> Anthony Sloan wrote:
>>
>>May I humbly suggest ":)" or "<jk>", or (my favorite), " ;*) "
>
> Except that I wasn't really joking. Denver does suck. It's one huge, continuous traffic jam. This
> is mostly caused by Californians who got tired of spending all their time commuting in the Bay
> Area, so they fled to Denver so that they could build McMansions in the mountains outside of town
> (just like in the Bay Area). Now they spend all their time commuting, because every rural highway
> within fifty miles of the city is gridlocked with doofi just like them. Just like in the Bay Area.

whew! harsh words, and from a New Yorker yet.

Actually since the "dot gone" traffic congestion has eased remarkably in the Bay Area.

Paul- I drive the Nimitz, pray for me

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote

> Leaving Austin will be difficult. Not because I think it is the greatest place on earth. But
> because it is home.

Anthony, please do not continue to behave with such class. You make the rest of us look bad.

CC

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anthony Sloan wrote:
> >
> >May I humbly suggest ":)" or "<jk>", or (my favorite), " ;*) "
>
> Except that I wasn't really joking. Denver does suck. It's one huge, continuous traffic jam.

Well, compared to Fort Collins, it is. WHen my wife was expecting, I timed a trip from our house
on the SW side to the hospital in the east central part of town. 15 minutes, 20 seconds at just
after 5 pm. :)

> Also, the riding in the Denver/Boulder is really sub-par, especially when compared to the rest of
> Colorado. This is because the vast majority of Front Range trails are off limits to bikes, and the
> bloated population is forced onto a small handful of decent, but not especially exciting trails.

We don't have them problems up north.

> I lived in Boulder for five years, and I consider Denver to be a national tragedy surpassed in the
> West perhaps only by Phoenix. It's the poster-child for rapacious development, unsustainable use,
> and incredibly poor quality of life, despite being in one of the most beautiful areas on the
> planet. What a waste.

I've only been to Denver at night once. I don't get south much, for sure.

Glenn D.