Status
Not open for further replies.
"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anthony Sloan wrote:
> >
> >May I humbly suggest ":)" or "<jk>", or (my favorite), " ;*) "
>
> Except that I wasn't really joking. Denver does suck. It's one huge, continuous traffic jam. This
> is mostly caused by Californians who got tired of spending all their time commuting in the Bay
> Area, so they fled to Denver so that they could build McMansions in the mountains outside of town
> (just like in the Bay Area). Now they spend all their time commuting, because every rural highway
> within fifty miles of the city is gridlocked with doofi just like them. Just like in the Bay Area.
> And then they act surprised when the palace they built in high semi-arid forest burns to the
> ground. Also, the riding in the Denver/Boulder is really sub-par, especially when compared to the
> rest of Colorado. This is because the vast majority of Front Range trails are off limits to bikes,
> and the bloated population is forced onto a small handful of decent, but not especially exciting
> trails. I lived in Boulder for five years, and I consider Denver to be a national tragedy
> surpassed in the West perhaps only by Phoenix. It's the poster-child for rapacious development,
> unsustainable use, and incredibly poor quality of life, despite being in one of the most beautiful
> areas on the planet. What a waste.
>
> As for Austin, it's a real shithole IMO, made infinitely worse by the fact that it's full of
> people who spend all of their time rattling on about how absolutely terrific Austin is, like if
> they keep saying it, it will be true. It's not. Of course, that's Texans for you. Texans aren't
> friendly. Texans are deranged and scary. Combine that with that ubiquitous, loony "Texas Pride",
> and the overall effect is of a huge state populated entirely by village idiots.
>
> ":)"
>
> CC
Tell us how you really feel.

TJ

> Jesus, Mary and Joseph. This really looks like it may happen.
>
> Places are places. We imbue them with our own perceptions. It would be great to be able to wave a
> wand and be able to live wherever I wanted to. And when they start handing out tickets to that
> existence, please let me know.
>
> As I said before, the Denver area wouldn't be my first choice, but it is close to a lot of really
> good country. Sounds as if I'll be able to ride a mountain bike there as well. As long as there is
> fresh produce and a decent independent record store, I'll be able to eke out some sort of
> existence. Even if all of the trails are ten feet wide...
>

Don't listen to all that bad talk about Denver. Sure lots of the trails in Boulder are closed to
bikes. But in the Golden/West Denver area you will be within rock throwing distance of lots a
really nice trails. You will be right next to the expansive Jefferson County open space parks and
their trails.

I recommend Apex, Matthew Winters/Hogsback, Mount Falcon, White Ranch. Those will all be close to
you. If you want to drive south to Colorado Springs, or North to Ft Collins. About an hour, hour and
1/2 away, there are great trails there as well. Not to mention all the high alltitude riding you can
hit in the summer that is very close.

Hell, I've been riding in this area for about 9 years and still haven't gotten tired of it. There
are enough trails you could ride something different every single day if you wanted. I feel spoiled
rotten living here.

And contrary to what most people think about Colorado. You can pretty much ride year round in the
Denver area. Sure it gets cold sometimes, but we are hardly snow bound all winter.

For independent record stores you will need to check out both Wax Trax and Twist and Shout. Both
stellar. Denver has a pretty good music scene as well. Lots of great local bands of all different
styles. And we pretty much get visited by all the national acts as well. Lots of cool venues of
all sizes.

Is Denver perfect or even close to it? Of course not. But it is a pretty nice place to live. I hope
you enjoy it.

James

Natas Lived wrote:
>>Jesus, Mary and Joseph. This really looks like it may happen.
>>
>>Places are places. We imbue them with our own perceptions. It would be great to be able to wave a
>>wand and be able to live wherever I wanted to. And when they start handing out tickets to that
>>existence, please let me know.
>>
>>As I said before, the Denver area wouldn't be my first choice, but it is close to a lot of really
>>good country. Sounds as if I'll be able to ride a mountain bike there as well. As long as there is
>>fresh produce and a decent independent record store, I'll be able to eke out some sort of
>>existence. Even if all of the trails are ten feet wide...
>>
>
>
> Don't listen to all that bad talk about Denver. Sure lots of the trails in Boulder are closed to
> bikes. But in the Golden/West Denver area you will be within rock throwing distance of lots a
> really nice trails. You will be right next to the expansive Jefferson County open space parks and
> their trails.
>
> I recommend Apex, Matthew Winters/Hogsback, Mount Falcon, White Ranch. Those will all be close to
> you. If you want to drive south to Colorado Springs, or North to Ft Collins. About an hour, hour
> and 1/2 away, there are great trails there as well. Not to mention all the high alltitude riding
> you can hit in the summer that is very close.
>
> Hell, I've been riding in this area for about 9 years and still haven't gotten tired of it. There
> are enough trails you could ride something different every single day if you wanted. I feel
> spoiled rotten living here.
>
> And contrary to what most people think about Colorado. You can pretty much ride year round in the
> Denver area. Sure it gets cold sometimes, but we are hardly snow bound all winter.
>
> For independent record stores you will need to check out both Wax Trax and Twist and Shout. Both
> stellar. Denver has a pretty good music scene as well. Lots of great local bands of all different
> styles. And we pretty much get visited by all the national acts as well. Lots of cool venues of
> all sizes.
>
> Is Denver perfect or even close to it? Of course not. But it is a pretty nice place to live. I
> hope you enjoy it.
>
> James
>
>

Thanks,

I continue to maintain a thin, tattered shred of hope that there is some USE left in Usenet. ;*)

Sounds like all I need now is fresh produce and it's a go.

Oooo errr. And a house.

A
--
My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anthony Sloan wrote: Even if all of the trails are ten feet wide...

The saddest part of that is some Far Siders seem to think that mistreating the trails here is
ok as well. They don't like it when they are informed that it's bad form here, or anywhere for
that matter.

JD

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> > Also, the riding in the Denver/Boulder is really sub-par, especially when compared to the rest
> > of Colorado. This is because the vast majority of Front Range trails are off limits to bikes,
> > and the bloated population is forced onto a small handful of decent, but not especially exciting
> > trails.
>
> We don't have them problems up north.
>

Are you sure? Name 5 riding areas within 1 hours drive of Fort Collins.

I consider Pine Ridge, Michaude Lane and Maxwell as one ride. You should worry about the last one.
With the increased presence of the CDC's research facility on the CSU campus, you might expect that
they'll be enforcing the "private property" signs that most people just cruise right by on their
jog/hike/bike through that area. Maxwell skirts it. Also, Pine Ridge used to have many more trails
available, but they were closed in early 2000 because of over use by all trail users.

Lory State Park and Horsetooth Park are both pay-to-play. Since they adjoin, I count them as one.

It was sort of freaky living in FC. I had single track within 4 minutes of my front door. But if it
wasn't in the above areas, I had to drive about hour to find another trail. That would add
Youngs/Hewlett Gulch to the list.

Hopefully, I'll be back there in a while. I'm getting tired of the tractor trails here.

nk

Status
Not open for further replies.