possible to put a bmx sprocket on an old road hub?

10timesbetter

Oct 7, 2004
I came to school in the city with an old schwinn world 10 speed, i got tired of the gears pretty fast, so after the first month i hacksawed off the larger chainwheel(they were solid, not bolted on) took off the derailers, and shortened the chain so it was just long enough to go around the smallest rear sprocket and back, so even though it's still techically a single speed, it still has the 5 rear sprockets, it's been about another month and i think I'm about ready to turn it into a fixed gear, but my question, is what size are the threads on a road bike hub? my bike has a freewheel on it, it's not a cassette, and i have a singlespeed sprocket that i used to have on a bmx bike just to play with, is there any chance that sprocket will fit? if nothing else i can take it to the bike shop, and take off my freewheel, and try this one on, i just don't have the freewheel tool at home, otherwise i'd just try it

10timesbetter said:
I came to school in the city with an old schwinn world 10 speed, i got tired of the gears pretty fast, so after the first month i hacksawed off the larger chainwheel(they were solid, not bolted on) took off the derailers, and shortened the chain so it was just long enough to go around the smallest rear sprocket and back, so even though it's still techically a single speed, it still has the 5 rear sprockets, it's been about another month and i think I'm about ready to turn it into a fixed gear, but my question, is what size are the threads on a road bike hub? my bike has a freewheel on it, it's not a cassette, and i have a singlespeed sprocket that i used to have on a bmx bike just to play with, is there any chance that sprocket will fit? if nothing else i can take it to the bike shop, and take off my freewheel, and try this one on, i just don't have the freewheel tool at home, otherwise i'd just try it
I can tell you that I've done it with old Campy hubs, but it sounds like you have to hit the local shop anyway. Just check to see if they have the gear you want ahead of time.

Smartt/RST said:
I can tell you that I've done it with old Campy hubs, but it sounds like you have to hit the local shop anyway. Just check to see if they have the gear you want ahead of time.
yeah, it's a pretty cool bike shop, instead of taking bikes in and paying the guy to work on them, he's just got about 5 bike stands, and all the bike tools, so you just take your bike in and can work on whatever needs done, so i'll head down there sometime with my bike and the sprocket,

also, i know normal fixed gear hubs are two step threads, the larger ones let the sprocket thread on, and then the smaller ones are reverse, and are for the lock ring, when i had the sprocket on my bmx bike it's just the one level of thread, so i had the sprocket, and no lock ring, and considering i spent most of my time pedaling forward, it stayed on fine, to get it off i'd acctually have to hold the back brake, and stomp on the pedals backwards a few times, but when you put it on your old hubs, did you have any kinda lockring, or did it just stay? i'll atleast leave my front brake on, but still, riding in the city and having the sprocket come loose would probably be a lot worse that it would've been in the suburbs, where i tried it before

The sproket should fit. I removed the cluster on an old Motobecane I bought cheap and threaded an ACS freewheel (16T) right on.

The freewheel threads are the same. I'm doing this on an old 10 speed touring bike. I hacked the big chainring off, left the 42 tooth chainring and took the freewheel off. I'm putting on a 16 tooth freewheel in its place. The chainline is just about perfect.

Details and notes here:
http://r2.hostrack.com/ryko/singlespeed.html

rykoala said:
I'm putting on a 16 tooth freewheel in its place. The chainline is just about perfect.
yeah, i'm gonna try next time i can get to the bike store, i've just been so busy with tests the past two weeks, but the one thing i did notice, is that the bmx freewheel is too wide for my roadbikes chain, so i'm gonna have to replace the chain too i think, but i'll see how i goes, i've been checking around ebay trying to get a fixed gear hub cause that's what i'd rather have, i have my bmx bike in peices right now anyway cause it's getting repainted, i guess i could always use that chain for a few weeks,