Possibly a stupid question...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alex Graham, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Do V brakes attach to the same fittings on the forks and seatstays as cantilever brake arms? They
    > look like they are pretty much in the same place on V brake equipped bikes, so can I fit them to a
    > bike that currently has cantilevers?
    >
    > --
    >
    > -Alex

    I'm fairly sure they do but you may need to change your levers as well or you may find yourself
    stopping very quickly indeed.

    I'm sure there's an article in one of the Cycling Plus editions on how to upgrade.

    > ----------------------------------
    > [email protected]
    >
    > http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    > ----------------------------------

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Alex Graham scribbled:

    > Do V brakes attach to the same fittings on the forks and seatstays as cantilever brake arms? They
    > look like they are pretty much in the same place on V brake equipped bikes, so can I fit them to a
    > bike that currently has cantilevers?

    Yes, exactly the same. Levers have a different cable pull though, so if you fit v-brakes, fit
    v-brake levers too .. it's a potentially painful learning curve otherwise .. ;)

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  4. Tony Yates

    Tony Yates Guest

    I think there is a widget that enables you to use existing canti levers with v-brakes, if you don't
    want to change your levers.

    Tony

    --
    www.therush.uk.com

    news:[email protected]...
    > Alex Graham scribbled:
    >
    > > Do V brakes attach to the same fittings on the forks and seatstays as cantilever brake arms?
    > > They look like they are pretty much in the same place on V brake equipped bikes, so can I fit
    > > them to a bike that currently has cantilevers?
    >
    > Yes, exactly the same. Levers have a different cable pull though, so if you fit v-brakes, fit
    > v-brake levers too .. it's a potentially painful learning curve otherwise .. ;)
    >
    > --

    > My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Tony Yates scribbled:

    > I think there is a widget that enables you to use existing canti levers with v-brakes, if you
    > don't want to change your levers.

    True, there are also many multi-brake versions that change the cable pull for whether canti or
    v-brakes are fitted ..

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  6. OOPS, I think I spoke of brakes being mounted on chainstays when I meant seatstays of course.

    Sorry, Bob Taylor

  7. The posts are the same as canti brakes and need to be at the same height relative to the rim.
    However just because a bike has canti posts doesnt mean that Vbrakes will work without problems.
    Vbrakes are intended for use on the widely spaced fork blades and chainstays of mountain bikes.
    Fitting them to the relatively narrowly spaced fork blades and chainstays may cause them to end up
    splayed out into a very wide V. The problem with this is that the brake shoes have to be adjusted so
    that they contact the rim squarely and the wide V may mean that the range of adjustment is
    inadequate.

    A second problem occurs when fitting Vbrakes onto a touring fork with the normal relatively narrowly
    spaced blades. Vbrakes always come with very long brake shoes, sometimes as much as 70mm long and
    the extra length all projects to the rear. Though it's doubtful that this extra lemgth adds anything
    to brake performance, it is harmless at the rear since it just projects into empty space. At the
    front though there are problems because the extra length projects back between the fork blade and
    the rim and there isn't much room there when you're dealing with a touring fork. If short (what we
    used to call normal length) brake shoes were offered with the necessary adjustability for Vbrakes
    the problem would be solved but alas, the solution offered is long shoes which are about half as
    thick as normal brake shoes. These may fit into the available space but they wear out faster of
    course since there is less material and also it's usually necessary to deflate the tire in order to
    remove the front wheel since the inflated tire is usually wider than the rim. I've seen suggestions
    to deal with the problem such as turning the shoes around with the long part to the front (not sure
    how well this would work) or simply cutting off the excess. This seems to me to offer a bit more
    promise. Most Vbrake shoes seem to be moulded and I believe I'd mount the shoes so the cut end would
    be at the front. Too bad the Vbrake shoes are all produced to cater to (or create) a silly fad.

    Bob Taylor

  8. John B

    John B Guest

    Robert Taylor wrote:

    > OOPS, I think I spoke of brakes being mounted on chainstays when I meant seatstays of course.

    I have 'V" brakes on my Trice's chainstays.

    You're definitely a candidate for the DarkSide ;-)

    John B

  9. Robert Taylor <[email protected]> wrote ...
    > At the front though there are problems because the extra length projects back between the fork
    > blade and the rim and there isn't much room there when you're dealing with a touring fork. If
    > short (what we used to call normal length) brake shoes were offered with the necessary
    > adjustability for Vbrakes the problem would be solved but alas, the solution offered is long shoes
    > which are about half as thick as normal brake shoes.

    Have you tried fitting caliper brake pads? Some of them even come with toe-in adjustment now - eg
    the Koolstop Dura holders that I've seen in the LBS recently.

    Andrew