Possibly Holy Grail Of Japanese Bikes On Ebay...

talkcanna

Jun 4, 2015
Its a nishiki custom sport, but I don't think the seller knows what he has?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-1975-RARE-Vintage-Nishiki-Custom-Sport-Bike-/331573628570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d33540e9a

The serial is s1 7b273
$_57.JPG

In my opinion that is a really significant serial number. I tried finding a registry but all in mentions is that S. Is from earlier years and the number 273 Is the print number. I don't know what the 1b is. (1st boat?). But I do know this is an official early year japanese model. And that is a really really early print / run.
Advice needed.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/390318-nishiki-serial-number-database.html

As some you may be aware, I have been collecting Nishiki data for several years in an attempt to more accurately determine their age and create a timeline of models. I now have sufficient data sets and confidence to report the results for serial numbers from the 1970s to mid 1980s, however sufficient data is lacking for the late 1980s onward.

To this end, it would appreciated if any Nishiki owners would submit posts with pics and specs of their Nihiki. A full, drive side view is the preferred pic. Requested info is model, year (if known), frame material and make, model and date codes of major components. For component date code format, location and decypher, refer to http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm .

Thank-you in advance for your contributions. Where possible, I will answer questions as they arise. General developments in the database will be reported in this post (ie post #1 ) below:

Kawamura manufactured frames (1972-1987*)

Serial number format XYZZZZZ where:

X is a letter indicating the market using the following codes:
A= Australia
C = Canada (pre-1985)
E = Europe
K = USA (pre 1985)
W = USA (1985-1987*)

Y is a letter indicating the last digit of the manufacturing calendar year, where A =1, B = 2, C = 3… J = 0. Exception is letter S, used on all frames prior to 1975.

ZZZZZ is a five or six digit number, apparently representing a sequential frame manufac turing number for the year (or era in the case of pre 1975 frames)

Example 1: KA24587 is the 24,787th frame produced in 1981 for the US market.

Example 2: CG231117 is the 23,117th frame produced in 1977 for the Canadian market.

Example 3: WE54612 is the 54,612th frame produced in 1985 for the US market.

* Serial number format may extend beyond 1987, but there are no reported examples, to date.

Giant manufactured frames (1978-1986*)

Two part serial number, with first part designating manufacturer, month and year. The date codes data is generally stamped on the drive side dropout.

Serial number foramt Gmmyy where,
G = Giant
mm = month where 01 = Jan, 02 = Feb, etc.
yy = year where 80 = 1980, 81 = 1981, etc.

Example: G0384 is a frame that was manufactured by Giant in March 1984.

* The serial number format may extend beyond this range, in either direction, but to date no examples have been reported.

Giant manufactured frames (1987-1989*)

Serial number formatt Gfyxxxxx where,
G = Giant
f = letter indicating fortnight (i.e A = weeks 1-2, B = weeks 3-3,... Z=weeks 51-52)
y =last digit of calendar year of manufacture (i.e. 7 = 1987, 8 = 1988, etc.)
xxxxx = numbers probably indicating a sequential manufacturing number during the fortnight

Example: GD706959 was the 6,959th frame manufactured during the 4th fortnight of 1987.

* The serial number format appears to started in 1987 and is known to extend beyond 1989 on Giant brandede models, though no Nishiki examples have been reported, to date.

Derby Manufactured Frames (1989-1992*)

Circa 1989, Nishiki was acquired by Derby International, which also owned Raleigh and some manufacturing was done at their Kent, Washingtion facility.

Serial number format Rydddyxxxx where:

R = Raleigh, Kent, Washington
y...y = year
ddd = day of year
xxxx = sequential manufacturing number

EXAMPLE: R9035167879 is the 7,879th frame built on day 35 (i.e. February 04) of 1991.

* The serial number format may extend beyond this range, in either direction, but to date no examples have been reported.

Katakura manufactured frames (1971-1973*)

Serial number format Kmyxxxx where:

K = Katakura
m = letter indicating month of manufacture (i.e A = January, B = February,... L = December)
y = number indicating last digit of calendar year (i.e 1 = 1971, 3 = 1973)
xxxx = four numbers probably indicating the sequential manufacturing number during the month

Example:KI20182 is 182nd frame manufactured during September 1971.

Other manufacturers

Over the years numerous other serial number formats have cropped up. Some are known manufacturers, while others are unidentified. These appear to have been smaller, subcontracted orders and constitute a a very small portion of the overall Nishiki volume. As such, they will not be covered here but will be addressed by individual forum response when they crop up.

Interesting data.

No one seems to think it's worth the $295 opening bid though. Any idea on what it's worth as a collectible?

A friend used to race a silver Nishiki with top-of-the-line Suntour components. It was a worthy racing bike, for sure.

Holy grail of what? It's a low-end campus bike, a mid-bike-boom "10-speed." Rare, maybe, but so far the seller is the only one who thinks it's worth $295.

Reactions: Bob Ross
Seller isn't marketing to bike experts. What I am asking is if its a first run. The serial implies its a first addition. Products such as nishiki came in a ground breaking post nuclear war era. Their companies took off. They are a part of international history, and world business relations. Much symbolized in the addition of the german die comfe brakes, and shirmano 600 derailer.

This specific nikishi, is apart of a whole new generation of post war, bicycles and manufacturing policies. Its almost like a symbol of peace. But the low print is what I want to know. Does anyone know if this is a first run bike?

Its like having the 300th ferarri to a collector.

NOTE:

The above serial information is from a Nishiki collector. (prints) In photography sell for 50.00 of this bike. They have a vast cult following; I suspect this bike will start to get attention on its listing soon. Its likely a 550.00-700.00+ (considering the s in the serial number)...

I am just an ebayer myself trying to find a serial number chart, before I bid. Because this could easily fetch the price of a cannon dale, being its not a Taiwanese model. A japanese collector might pay a pretty penny for this bike. so Ya. Anyone got a chart here?

I had no idea! I have bookmarked this page so I can do a little learning when I have more free time.
I am always on the hunt for interesting bikes. I think I should commit some of this to memory so I can spot a good find at a garage sale.

"...in the addition of the german die comfe brakes..."

It's "Dia Compe" and they are Japanese (now Taiwanese) copies of Swiss Weinmann brakes.

CAMPYBOB said:
"...in the addition of the german die comfe brakes..."

It's "Dia Compe" and they are Japanese (now Taiwanese) copies of Swiss Weinmann brakes.
Do you have any information on nishiki's ? you seem to know a lot about them...

Nishiki bikes, in their day...the 1980's...were mainly low-end bikes bought by college students to get around campus and recreational type riders. In a word, they were low cost transportation. There were a very few high-end models sold here and even they were looked down upon as not being the equal of their European counterparts. They just lacked cred. They built some decent touring models and few competent racing bikes that were nicely detailed and well finished, especially considering the low prices they usually sold for.

That bike you posted the eBay link to would sell for $25-$50 on Craigslist in my area 'if' it sold at all.

In the world of collectible Japanese bicycles a mint condition, high-end keirin model by San Rensho with all certified NJS components would be considered desirable and worth investing a few dollars. A used Nishiki of almost any production era or model in the range is, at least currently, not highly valued in the States. Perhaps the Japanese collectors will want to invest in a low production number example, but that would surprise me...knowing what the really desirable stuff sell for here that gets exported away from the Japanese collector market.

I think the seller knows what he has. He posted a picture of the serial number, listed it as a pre-1975 model and priced it with a $300 opening bid. It will be interesting to see what it sells for.

Reactions: BobCochran
Its a nishiki custom sport, but I don't think the seller knows what he has?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-1975-RA...570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d33540e9a

The serial is s1 7b273
$_57.JPG

In my opinion that is a really significant serial number. I tried finding a registry but all in mentions is that S. Is from earlier years and the number 273 Is the print number. I don't know what the 1b is. (1st boat?). But I do know this is an official early year japanese model. And that is a really really early print / run.
Advice needed.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/390318-nishiki-serial-number-database.html

As some you may be aware, I have been collecting Nishiki data for several years in an attempt to more accurately determine their age and create a timeline of models. I now have sufficient data sets and confidence to report the results for serial numbers from the 1970s to mid 1980s, however sufficient data is lacking for the late 1980s onward.

To this end, it would appreciated if any Nishiki owners would submit posts with pics and specs of their Nihiki. A full, drive side view is the preferred pic. Requested info is model, year (if known), frame material and make, model and date codes of major components. For component date code format, location and decypher, refer to http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm .

Thank-you in advance for your contributions. Where possible, I will answer questions as they arise. General developments in the database will be reported in this post (ie post #1 ) below:

Kawamura manufactured frames (1972-1987*)

Serial number format XYZZZZZ where:

X is a letter indicating the market using the following codes:
A= Australia
C = Canada (pre-1985)
E = Europe
K = USA (pre 1985)
W = USA (1985-1987*)

Y is a letter indicating the last digit of the manufacturing calendar year, where A =1, B = 2, C = 3… J = 0. Exception is letter S, used on all frames prior to 1975.

ZZZZZ is a five or six digit number, apparently representing a sequential frame manufac turing number for the year (or era in the case of pre 1975 frames)

Example 1: KA24587 is the 24,787th frame produced in 1981 for the US market.

Example 2: CG231117 is the 23,117th frame produced in 1977 for the Canadian market.

Example 3: WE54612 is the 54,612th frame produced in 1985 for the US market.

* Serial number format may extend beyond 1987, but there are no reported examples, to date.

Giant manufactured frames (1978-1986*)

Two part serial number, with first part designating manufacturer, month and year. The date codes data is generally stamped on the drive side dropout.

Serial number foramt Gmmyy where,
G = Giant
mm = month where 01 = Jan, 02 = Feb, etc.
yy = year where 80 = 1980, 81 = 1981, etc.

Example: G0384 is a frame that was manufactured by Giant in March 1984.

Giant manufactured frames (1987-1989*)

Serial number formatt Gfyxxxxx where,
G = Giant
f = letter indicating fortnight (i.e A = weeks 1-2, B = weeks 3-3,... Z=weeks 51-52)
y =last digit of calendar year of manufacture (i.e. 7 = 1987, 8 = 1988, etc.)
xxxxx = numbers probably indicating a sequential manufacturing number during the fortnight

Example: GD706959 was the 6,959th frame manufactured during the 4th fortnight of 1987.

* The serial number format appears to started in 1987 and is known to extend beyond 1989 on Giant brandede models, though no Nishiki examples have been reported, to date.

Derby Manufactured Frames (1989-1992*)

Circa 1989, Nishiki was acquired by Derby International, which also owned Raleigh and some manufacturing was done at their Kent, Washingtion facility.

Serial number format Rydddyxxxx where:

R = Raleigh, Kent, Washington
y...y = year
ddd = day of year
xxxx = sequential manufacturing number

EXAMPLE: R9035167879 is the 7,879th frame built on day 35 (i.e. February 04) of 1991.

Katakura manufactured frames (1971-1973*)

Serial number format Kmyxxxx where:

K = Katakura
m = letter indicating month of manufacture (i.e A = January, B = February,... L = December)
y = number indicating last digit of calendar year (i.e 1 = 1971, 3 = 1973)
xxxx = four numbers probably indicating the sequential manufacturing number during the month

Example:KI20182 is 182nd frame manufactured during September 1971.

Other manufacturers

Over the years numerous other serial number formats have cropped up. Some are known manufacturers, while others are unidentified. These appear to have been smaller, subcontracted orders and constitute a a very small portion of the overall Nishiki volume. As such, they will not be covered here but will be addressed by individual forum response when they crop up.

Do you happen to know anything about this Nikishi? Year, price ect? I am trying to help my father in law clean up his garages.
20161021_113024.jpg
20161021_110937.jpg
20161020_101249.jpg
20161021_113110.jpg
20161021_113024.jpg
20161021_113024.jpg
20161021_110937.jpg

It's a low-end model. A steel cottered crankset, stem shifters, rear derailleur guard, Chainring guard, spoke protector, brake 'safety' levers were all features of the less expensive bikes in a brand's lineup.

It appears to have alloy rims, a plus. Also the heart shaped downtube stop is a nice touch.

I don't know if the kickstand is original. I would remove it and put it a box to be kept with the bike, but not on it.

A mix of lugged and lugless / welded construction. Weird.

A sidepull rear brake and a centerpull front brake? I'm guessing one brake caliper has been replaced. And yet...the rear brake cable routing is on the right side and the front cable hanger looks to have the matching patina of the rest of the bike. Perhaps and older replacement job?

The stem appears to be far beyond the safe insertion limit unless the original stem has been replaced with a replacement stem that has a longer quill. Check before riding.

Craigslist price in my area of Ohio...around $25-$50. Fully polished and detailed up with new rubber, new bar tape and a new saddle...maybe $75 max. They sold a metric ton of low end Nishiki's in my area and your example survived in better condition than the average one I see still on the road. Wild guess on vintage...

The 'K' is for USA pre 1985 production.
'S' was used on all frames prior to 1975