Post a bike abroad (Europe)?

Caher

New Member
May 22, 2003
Hi all,
As I tend to go to the same place a lot I thought I could post one of my bikes there. Having never done this before I have some ‘idiot guide’ questions to ask.
What should I post it in: bike bag, some box I could buy? I presume I contact some courier firm or does the post office do it? Do I insure it?
And following the environmental note from the previous thread I won't need to hire a car!

Any help would be great.

"Caher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi all,
> As I tend to go to the same place a lot I thought I could post one of
> my bikes there.

Where from do you intend to post your bike? USa? Canada? Australia?

Caher wrote:

>Ireland. so not too far.

Ride it there. :)

Caher wrote:
> Hi all,
> As I tend to go to the same place a lot I thought I could post one of
> my bikes there.

Post, as opposed to travel with?

FWIW, when I lived in Sweden (as a child and teenager), I borrowed a
bike there (indeed, that was all my cycling until I went to Cambridge
age 18). When I lived and worked in Germany, I bought a new bike there
(in a hurry - I'd been misled about public transport, and couldn't wait
to ship a bike from .uk). When I lived and worked in Italy, I bought
a new bike there (not in a hurry, but after the frame on my previous
bike gave up the ghost). Would you not consider such a solution?

--
Nick Kew