Post a bike abroad (Europe)?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Caher, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Hi all,
    As I tend to go to the same place a lot I thought I could post one of my bikes there. Having never done this before I have some ‘idiot guide’ questions to ask.
    What should I post it in: bike bag, some box I could buy? I presume I contact some courier firm or does the post office do it? Do I insure it?
    And following the environmental note from the previous thread I won't need to hire a car!

    Any help would be great.

    Tags:

  2. Tomek Li

    Tomek Li Guest

    "Caher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi all,
    > As I tend to go to the same place a lot I thought I could post one of
    > my bikes there.

    Where from do you intend to post your bike? USa? Canada? Australia?

  3. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Ireland. so not too far.

  4. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Caher wrote:

    >Ireland. so not too far.

    Ride it there. :)

  5. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    Caher wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > As I tend to go to the same place a lot I thought I could post one of
    > my bikes there.

    Post, as opposed to travel with?

    FWIW, when I lived in Sweden (as a child and teenager), I borrowed a
    bike there (indeed, that was all my cycling until I went to Cambridge
    age 18). When I lived and worked in Germany, I bought a new bike there
    (in a hurry - I'd been misled about public transport, and couldn't wait
    to ship a bike from .uk). When I lived and worked in Italy, I bought
    a new bike there (not in a hurry, but after the frame on my previous
    bike gave up the ghost). Would you not consider such a solution?

    --
    Nick Kew

  6. James Annan

    James Annan Guest