Post ride headache



eortiz

New Member
Nov 12, 2003
145
0
16
53
I ride 4-5 times a week mostly 1 -1.5 hrs on a trainer or road when I have time. Sat. rides is with a group ~50 miles with some hammering. I do my share of the pull specially on flats. My problem is post ride headache. I get a headache after a couple of hours after my Sat. ride. I made a point to eat within 2 hrs. after the ride and drink fluid constantly (Endurox immediately, sip Gatorade and water). But I still get that nasty headache. If I want to get rid of my headache, I take Excedrin; 30 min. and I'm good again. So what gives? By the way, I also consciously hydrate and eat during the ride. Thanks for any inputs you may have.
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
Dehydration? Eye stress? Others?

Drink more... Darker sunglasses... Others. :)
 

gclark8

New Member
Apr 13, 2004
3,522
3
0
72
sogood said:
Dehydration? Eye stress? Others?

Drink more... Darker sunglasses... Others. :)
ditto! :rolleyes: more appropriate fluids, non dehydrating types. Also head covering, a helmet with better ventilation, short hair, all these will help.
 

GuyNoir

New Member
Jun 22, 2006
37
0
0
53
What about your riding posture? Find yourself in the drops more when you are on your group ride? Could be that you are putting a kink in your neck and causing a little damage that is leading to your headaches. If not the riding a lot in the drops (different possition than when on the trainer) then it could be due to all the extra time/miles that bring the issue to the front.

-GN
 

wiredued

New Member
Aug 17, 2004
1,300
0
0
Sugar levels could be to low or to high I find myself tweaking the amount of raw honey in my bottle for the temperature that day if it is cooler I don't drink so much so I add a little more your brain runs on sugar try to get optimum amounts.
 

eortiz

New Member
Nov 12, 2003
145
0
16
53
I think wiredued is coorect. I also drink soda (Coke) to help rid of my headache. I ride more on the hoods, I keep myself cool with a shower of water once in awhile during a ride, etc. I will experiment in balancing the minerals in my body since I do really sweat a lot (a lot of salt on my skin after the sweat dries out). In fact Eddie Borysewicz (sp?) one of the top coaches in the early days wrote in is training book to put honey in your water bottle as a substitute for energy drinks. I'll post the results after another hard ride. Thanks for all your response
 

tdl123321

New Member
Mar 26, 2006
120
0
0
If you are omitting your usual/daily caffeine on the day of your ride your headaches could be from to caffeine withdrawal.
 

eortiz

New Member
Nov 12, 2003
145
0
16
53
tdl123321 said:
If you are omitting your usual/daily caffeine on the day of your ride your headaches could be from to caffeine withdrawal.

Is caffeine withdrawal really true?! I thought it was just some cliche. I do drink coffee but not regularly. In fact I'm trying to cut down on it specially in the office. But let me try drinking some coffee before my Sat. ride to experiment and see what happens. Thanks
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
Caffeine withdrawal is definitely a real entity. If you are a daily and long time drinker, then you'll definitely get it. Yet again, if you don't have any symptoms on weekends when you don't drink, then I suspect there may be other reasons for the headache. But is caffeine a banned substance in cycling? Worth a try though. :p
 

marconfoot

New Member
Aug 30, 2004
12
0
0
GuyNoir said:
What about your riding posture? Find yourself in the drops more when you are on your group ride? Could be that you are putting a kink in your neck and causing a little damage that is leading to your headaches. If not the riding a lot in the drops (different possition than when on the trainer) then it could be due to all the extra time/miles that bring the issue to the front.

-GN
Not only your neck. I get a pain between shoulder blade and spine. The muscles are rhomboid/trapezius. Causes shoulder tension then neck tension which produces a headache in the base of your head followed by a pounding headache all the way to the back of the eyes. Excedrin works in 20 to 30 minutes. All the other NSAIDS hardly touch it.
 

eortiz

New Member
Nov 12, 2003
145
0
16
53
I had another had Sat. ride. I had 2 bottles of Gatorade and 2 bars of Oatmeal (forgot to bring Power bar) and a bottle of water with honey (about 3 tablespoons). After 70+ miles of hard riding (with 3 rest/re-group) anda total of 4 bottles of Gatorade and 2 bottles of water (one with honey). My legs were wasted. Got home and drank Endurox R4, took a shower, ate some pasta, and fell asleep. I was worried I was going to have a headache as soon as I wake up (which happened just the week before). Suprisingly, no headache! I know it's just my first experminet on putting honey in my water but I'm glad I did not have any headache. I will give it a try again this Sat. and again with honey in my water. So far so good.
 

DZ-015

New Member
Oct 25, 2005
60
0
0
A bit obvious, but is your helmet too tight? I used to get terrible headaches until I loosened by helmet straps a bit...
 

eortiz

New Member
Nov 12, 2003
145
0
16
53
I did a century ride (111 miles) last Sat. and started getting a headache near the finish. I know I did not hydrate myself regularly but I can still atest that after loading up with sugar post ride, it helped me lessen my headache. I did have honey with my water but I guess I did not have enough for a century ride. I'll keep putting honey in my water bottle every time I ride and I think that is the solution for my headache problem.
 

Dave80

New Member
May 5, 2006
72
0
0
41
eortiz said:
I did have honey with my water but I guess I did not have enough for a century ride. I'll keep putting honey in my water bottle every time I ride and I think that is the solution for my headache problem.
Just guessing but I think that the total quantity of water is just as important as the amount of honey.

I think taking in fluids whilst exercising is somthing you have to condition the body for. After the event, its almost impossible to over hydrate (keep taking in fluids till you urine is clear). Personnally, I would reduce the sports drink in favour of water - I find a 1/4 gatorade:water mix works well and tastes better (not as sticky and cheaper).
 

eortiz

New Member
Nov 12, 2003
145
0
16
53
Dave80 said:
Just guessing but I think that the total quantity of water is just as important as the amount of honey.

I think taking in fluids whilst exercising is somthing you have to condition the body for. After the event, its almost impossible to over hydrate (keep taking in fluids till you urine is clear). Personnally, I would reduce the sports drink in favour of water - I find a 1/4 gatorade:water mix works well and tastes better (not as sticky and cheaper).

I do exactly what you say - drink until my urine is clear. In fact I do that but I sweat so much that I am covered literally with salt after a long ride. I guess it's alos in my diet. If I drink plain water and not enough sports drink I tend to cramp after a couple of hours of riding. Spceially when the ride is hard