Post-ride Sugar Level . . . ?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Paul Kossa, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Paul Kossa

    Paul Kossa Guest

    Does anyone know about what your blood sugar level should be after a workout? I though I read
    somewhere that it should be near 100 dm/ml (or whatever the abrrieviation is). (If that's the case,
    mine is often way too low!)

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    Normal fasting blood glucose is considered to be approximately 90 mg/100 mL. I would say that if
    your blood glucose is routinely anything less than about 75 mg/100 mL at the very end of exercise,
    you probably need to up your rate of carbohydrate intake - the usual recommendation is to ingest
    45-60 g/h, but there can be significant interindividual differences in how much is needed to
    maintain euglycemia.

    So why are you checking your blood glucose level after exercise anyway? I would think that if you
    had insulin-dependent diabetes, you wouldn't be asking this question.

    Andy Coggan

    news:[email protected]...