Post-ride Sugar Level . . . ?

Paul Kossa

Guest
Does anyone know about what your blood sugar level should be after a workout? I though I read
somewhere that it should be near 100 dm/ml (or whatever the abrrieviation is). (If that's the case,
mine is often way too low!)

Normal fasting blood glucose is considered to be approximately 90 mg/100 mL. I would say that if
your blood glucose is routinely anything less than about 75 mg/100 mL at the very end of exercise,
you probably need to up your rate of carbohydrate intake - the usual recommendation is to ingest
45-60 g/h, but there can be significant interindividual differences in how much is needed to
maintain euglycemia.

So why are you checking your blood glucose level after exercise anyway? I would think that if you
had insulin-dependent diabetes, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Andy Coggan

news:[email protected]...