Post to set in concrete for locking a bike?

paranoid bob

Guest
Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
securely (with D-locks)?

thanks

paranoid bob <[email protected]> writes:

> Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> securely (with D-locks)?

Lots of that kind of thing at motorbike shops.

Jon

paranoid bob wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> securely (with D-locks)?

A quick google throws up
http://resources.lifecycleuk.org.uk/index.php?cPath=39

No association with them, just a first obvious stop from googling.

You could use something smaller, but the niice thing about a Sheffield
Stand is you /know/ it will work!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Schneider contained the following:

>> Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
>> set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
>> securely (with D-locks)?

>Lots of that kind of thing at motorbike shops.

Like this
http://www.yanchor.com/index.html

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

paranoid bob wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> securely (with D-locks)?

I used a shed shackle (http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php )
instead of a ground anchor or post. It allows you to place the
attachment point at the most convenient height (although it has to be
against the shed wall of course). It's not as secure as a concrete
solution, but any thief would face making a great deal of noise and
commotion in nicking the bikes provided you secure them to the shackle
with sound locks (if you believe there are such things after the recent
youtube revelations!)

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

On 6 Aug, 13:14, paranoid bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> securely (with D-locks)?

Assuming the floor is already set and lack of desire to get involved
with a jack-hammer, I wonder how much more time such a thing would
give you over fixing to, say, substantial shelving or a bench that
cannot be lifted and the lock slipped under.

Just thinking weakest link and what could be done under cover of a
garage. Plus, avoiding d.i.y :)

Best regards,

Jon C.

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, paranoid bob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped)
> to set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two
> bikes securely (with D-locks)?

There might be a good reason why you want a post, but I prefer a
chain. Good solid heavy chain, with links big enough to put a U-lock
through.

Break smallish hole through slab, hollow out cavity below slab. Put
chain in with a bar through each of the end two links. Make the bars
longer than the width of the hole. Fill hole with concrete (one with
a small aggregate - say 10mm).

The advantage of chain is that a long piece will take several bikes
and other stuff too (I like to lock up ladders). Also, if you ever
want to put a car in the garage (for some reason) you can just drive
over the chain, if you take the bikes and ladders off first.

Motorbike dealers are one source of big chain.

Alternatively, I've had reasonably good service from
http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk , both as a private individual and
as a company. There are a few post-like things at
http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Built_in_Anchor.html

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

> Motorbike dealers are one source of big chain.

I prefer ship yards - better quality:

<www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=3301839>

Mark wrote:
>> Motorbike dealers are one source of big chain.

> I prefer ship yards - better quality:
>
> <www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=3301839>

Call that a chain??? THIS is a chain:

http://tinyurl.com/33qk6c

they don't make them like that any more (except they do, obviously - and
a lot better no doubt...)

On 6 Aug 2007 21:14:17 GMT, Mark <> wrote:
> > Motorbike dealers are one source of big chain.

> I prefer ship yards - better quality:

Relatively few ship-yards in commuter-belt Surrey, however. OTOH,
plenty of middle-aged bikers with big expensive motorbikes which need
locking up for 6.9 days of the week.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007, Tony B <[email protected]> wrote:

> Call that a chain??? THIS is a chain:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/33qk6c
>
> they don't make them like that any more (except they do, obviously - and
> a lot better no doubt...)

Well, www.blueoceantackle.com/chains.html will sell you chain up to
about twice that size (2' length links - the IKB photo is no more than
1' long links, I think). You can get up to about 3' links, but might
have problems getting a U-lock round.

But anchor chain with cross-bar thingy is not what you want anyway -
you want open links.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 7 Aug, 08:47, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007, Tony B <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Call that a chain??? THIS is a chain:

> > http://tinyurl.com/33qk6c

> > they don't make them like that any more (except they do, obviously - and
> > a lot better no doubt...)

> Well,www.blueoceantackle.com/chains.htmlwill sell you chain up to
> about twice that size (2' length links - the IKB photo is no more than
> 1' long links, I think). You can get up to about 3' links, but might
> have problems getting a U-lock round.
>
> But anchor chain with cross-bar thingy is not what you want anyway -
> you want open links.
>
> regards, Ian SMith
> --
> |\ /| no .sig
> |o o|
> |/ \|

I buried an old seized U lock in concrete in my garage floor, with
just the "U" top sticking out.
This works well for chaining my m/cycle or my racer & MTB to.

Mind you, I had to drill through the 4" plus of concrete floor first
to insert the U-lock in the first place before re-concreting.

HTH, Niv.

[email protected] wrote:

> On 6 Aug, 13:14, paranoid bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> > set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> > securely (with D-locks)?
> >

> Assuming the floor is already set and lack of desire to get involved
> with a jack-hammer,

No, it isn't built yet.

On 7 Aug, 22:18, Jake <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 1:14 pm, paranoid bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> > set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> > securely (with D-locks)?

> > thanks

> Search ebay for "ground anchor"http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OXFORD-TERRAFORCE-SOLD-SECURE-GROUND-ANCHOR-4-C...

I happen to have here looking for good homes a number of 30mm ID heavy-
duty rings (like the top portion of that ground anchor). But they only
end with a stubby M8 (I think) thread. Maybe you could find a way to
embed a matching nut in the floor or wall (rawlbolt?). The price will
be rather less than £29.99. I don't guarantee "5 minute attack tested
against saw & sledge hammer" though :)

Chris

paranoid bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> securely (with D-locks)?
>
> thanks

How about a car suspension spring, placed on it's side ?

-adrian

Adrian Godwin <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> > set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> > securely (with D-locks)?

> How about a car suspension spring, placed on it's side ?

Thanks everyone for the good ideas for locking a bike close to the
floor, but I want to hang the bikes from hooks in the ceiling (not
park them on the floor) so I need something that sticks up 2 or 3
feet, maybe with big loop near the top, so I can lock the frames at
that height.

So far the Sheffield stand is the most suitable thing suggested.

Anyone seen something similar (a big upside-down U that is) but
narrower? (I mean with the two vertical sides closer together.)

In article <[email protected]>,
paranoid bob
[email protected] says...
> Adrian Godwin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Anyone know where I can get a good post (maybe something U-shaped) to
> > > set in a concrete floor in a shed or garage for locking two bikes
> > > securely (with D-locks)?

> > How about a car suspension spring, placed on it's side ?

> Thanks everyone for the good ideas for locking a bike close to the
> floor, but I want to hang the bikes from hooks in the ceiling (not
> park them on the floor) so I need something that sticks up 2 or 3
> feet, maybe with big loop near the top, so I can lock the frames at
> that height.
>
> So far the Sheffield stand is the most suitable thing suggested.
>
> Anyone seen something similar (a big upside-down U that is) but
> narrower? (I mean with the two vertical sides closer together.)

Why not just go to a local steel fabricator and get him to weld up a bit
of box section to your design?

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Thanks everyone for the good ideas for locking a bike close to the
> > floor, but I want to hang the bikes from hooks in the ceiling (not
> > park them on the floor) so I need something that sticks up 2 or 3
> > feet, maybe with big loop near the top, so I can lock the frames at
> > that height.
> >
> > So far the Sheffield stand is the most suitable thing suggested.
> >
> > Anyone seen something similar (a big upside-down U that is) but
> > narrower? (I mean with the two vertical sides closer together.)
> >

> Why not just go to a local steel fabricator and get him to weld up a bit
> of box section to your design?

I'll try a motorcycle shop first, and then look into having something
custom made.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions.