General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

post-workout drink

Started by zoo · · Last activity · 79 posts · 1,813 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 September 2005
Last activity
14 October 2005
Original author
zoo
Posts
79
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,813
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 79
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Curt James said:
    JMW said:

    You imply that he has a choice.
    How silly of you!

    Hmmm. I'd say you have a *point* there, but that would probably prove
    entirely too tempting for TBR to avoid. I say give the man a chance.

    I guess it's the Quaker in me. Turn the other cheek and all.

    Just like Richard Nixon.

  2. On 2 Oct 2005 22:05:33 -0700, "Curt James" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Since you seem to have forgotten to say pedophile or gay for the
    moment, I'll chime in while you're having a lucid moment.

    Better hurry, I got a fresh batch of weed on the burner.

    Quoted message said:

    Apparently, all the negative press about sugar being evil is incorrect.
    I remember reading an ancient issue of MMI with words by Dr. C.F. Smith
    who stated that calories are calories and that a candy bar and a Coke
    offers as much as anything considered more typically as nutritious.

    Does this really make sense you? Even an iota of common sense tells
    you how ridiculous it is. You simply cannot compare coke and candy
    bars to fruit, if only because one is natural, and one is not. Even if
    they are equal in carbs, etc etc (I'm not disputing that, because I
    frankly don't know) just the chemicals in coke and candy bars are
    reason enough to avoid them.

    Quoted message said:

    That idea rubs me the wrong way, but perhaps it's true. JMW seems to
    think so and he also seems to have something on the ball. Perhaps he's
    correct.

    Perhaps he's an idiot? Why do you put so much importance in what he
    says?

    Quoted message said:

    And, yes, I used the word ball which could easily serve as your
    straight (or gay - HO!) line if you prefer to fall back on your usual
    schtick.

    You also said he "rubs you", I could run with that.

    Quoted message said:

    Will you choose to be an imbecile or not?

    Unquestionably, it's only a matter of when.

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder.

    ....about your manhood? Me too. (I couldn't resist.)

  3. JMW said:

    Perhaps you should avoid giving advice on sports nutrition and stick
    to offering advice on how to bilk Social Security.

    My sports credentials are beyond reproach, my physique proves it. As
    far as SS goes, an MRI does not lie, nor do the 14 Dr's they made me
    go to, who were all unanimous in their opinion that I will never work
    again. You can whine, snivel, cry foul, but you aren't a Dr, and you
    know nothing of my physical limitations.

  4. TheBillRogers said:
    JMW said:

    Perhaps you should avoid giving advice on sports nutrition and stick
    to offering advice on how to bilk Social Security.

    My sports credentials are beyond reproach, my physique proves it.

    Uh-huh ...

    http://tinypic.com/dx0jm0.jpg

    <snick> BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Quoted message said:

    As
    far as SS goes, an MRI does not lie, nor do the 14 Dr's they made me
    go to, who were all unanimous in their opinion that I will never work
    again. You can whine, snivel, cry foul, but you aren't a Dr, and you
    know nothing of my physical limitations.

    "My advice on running has proven sound over the years on RR, where it
    is obvious I know my stuff. Running 9 miles a day should give you a
    clue, that I could run another one at anytime I wanted to."
    -- Bill Davidson, August 29, 2005

    http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/38237fee034d9c98?dmode=source&hl=en
    (http://tinyurl.com/arbdh)

    So which is the lie, Davidson? That you have "physical limitations"
    such that you "will never work again," or that you run "9 miles a
    day"? Google saves all your lies, so which one do you choose?

  5. What's the problem with just having whey protein?

    My post-drink is just 100% Whey Isolate, and creatine.
    And I pop 3 amino's with it.

    Any probs with that?

    zoo said:

    Right now I'm drinking a whey protein shake after the gym but I now
    realize it doesnt have any carbs. I'm looking for a powder with whey
    AND the necessary carbs (maltodextrin/dextrose). I've seen some on the
    web but I was wondering what the people here use. Any recommendations?

    I'd rather the shake but what other food or drink sources are good for
    carbs post workout?

    Thanks.

    zoo

  6. JMW said:

    Uh-huh ...

    http://tinypic.com/dx0jm0.jpg

    <snick> BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Only a dipshit like you, would take a headshot, and think it has
    something to do with my physique.
    And BTW genius, I no longer collect SS, and have two jobs.

  7. "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TheBillRogers said:
    JMW said:

    Perhaps you should avoid giving advice on sports nutrition and stick
    to offering advice on how to bilk Social Security.

    My sports credentials are beyond reproach, my physique proves it.

    Uh-huh ...

    http://tinypic.com/dx0jm0.jpg

    <snick> BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!


    That was taken after I over dosed on my energy breakfast. I'm not usually
    that putrid looking

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    As
    far as SS goes, an MRI does not lie, nor do the 14 Dr's they made me
    go to, who were all unanimous in their opinion that I will never work
    again. You can whine, snivel, cry foul, but you aren't a Dr, and you
    know nothing of my physical limitations.

    "My advice on running has proven sound over the years on RR, where it
    is obvious I know my stuff. Running 9 miles a day should give you a
    clue, that I could run another one at anytime I wanted to."
    -- Bill Davidson, August 29, 2005

    http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/38237fee034d9c98?dmode=source&hl=en
    (http://tinyurl.com/arbdh)

    So which is the lie, Davidson? That you have "physical limitations"
    such that you "will never work again," or that you run "9 miles a
    day"? Google saves all your lies, so which one do you choose?


    OK, you caught my lying this time. I'm not always this full of [censored]...

  8. <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    What's the problem with just having whey protein?

    My post-drink is just 100% Whey Isolate, and creatine.
    And I pop 3 amino's with it.

    Any probs with that?

    If the purpose of your post workout drink is to maximize muscle gain, yes.
    There is a prob with that.

    David

    Quoted message said:
    zoo said:

    Right now I'm drinking a whey protein shake after the gym but I now
    realize it doesnt have any carbs. I'm looking for a powder with whey
    AND the necessary carbs (maltodextrin/dextrose). I've seen some on the
    web but I was wondering what the people here use. Any recommendations?

    I'd rather the shake but what other food or drink sources are good for
    carbs post workout?

    Thanks.

    zoo


  9. JMW,
    I stated that honey was healthier in my opinion. Based on my
    experience with using table sugar, I get a more uneven sugar high from
    it that does not make me feel like it is good for my strength. When I
    use honey it seems to give a smoother sugar high to me and does not
    give me that crashed feeling. I definitely am not making my opinion
    based on the old it comes from the earth so it is better for you
    mentality, hemlock is natural but I wouldn't want to eat it. I agree
    with you that some people are allergic to honey and should avoid it,
    babies should avoid it. I have seen references that honey is healthy,
    here is a website with some honey information and references:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=96

    As with anything I take studies with a grain of salt, but I do feel
    like honey feels healthier than table sugar when I eat it. I also
    prefer the taste of honey to table sugar.

    James

  10. Well I am trying to maximize muscle gain.
    What am I doing wrong, and what would you suggest.
    Cheers

  11. JamesG said:

    I get a more uneven sugar high from
    it that does not make me feel like it is good for my strength. When I
    use honey it seems to give a smoother sugar high to me

    I'll join the others now, and tell you that you are an idiot. There is
    no such thing as a "sugar hugh", it's been debunked repeatedly, and it
    doesn't even effect children in that way.

  12. zoo said:

    Right now I'm drinking a whey protein shake after the gym but I now
    realize it doesnt have any carbs. I'm looking for a powder with whey
    AND the necessary carbs (maltodextrin/dextrose). I've seen some on the
    web but I was wondering what the people here use. Any recommendations?

    I'd rather the shake but what other food or drink sources are good for
    carbs post workout?

    Thanks.

    zoo

    Banana. Just eat it if you can't blend it in. It doesn't have to be
    rocket science... 🙂

  13. Bill Rogers,
    If the whole sugar high thing has been debunked repeatedly then I would
    be curious to see the references. It could all just be a placebo
    effect but I did feel that way. Is the headache that I sometimes get
    from table sugar also something that has been "debunked"? I don't ever
    recall making a blanket statement on the subject anyway and stated that
    these were my experiences and opinions. If it is a placebo effect and
    feeling that way makes me an idiot in your eyes then okay, I don't
    care.

    James

  14. <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Well I am trying to maximize muscle gain.
    What am I doing wrong,

    Not quoting the post you are replying to, and not putting sugar in your post
    workout drink.

    Quoted message said:

    and what would you suggest.

    Quoting the post you are replying to, and putting sugar in your post workout
    drink.

    Try 0.5 grams whey protein/kg body weight plus 1 gram sugar/kg body weight
    plus 5 grams creatine.

    David

  15. Slambram said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd rather the shake but what other food or drink sources are good for
    carbs post workout?

    Thanks.

    zoo

    Banana. Just eat it if you can't blend it in. It doesn't have to be
    rocket science... 🙂

    Yeaaaah buuuut.... fructose, and battlestar galactacos....and and
    milquetoast.
    Nevermind.

  16. JamesG said:

    Bill Rogers,
    If the whole sugar high thing has been debunked repeatedly then I would
    be curious to see the references. It could all just be a placebo
    effect but I did feel that way. Is the headache that I sometimes get
    from table sugar also something that has been "debunked"? I don't ever
    recall making a blanket statement on the subject anyway and stated that
    these were my experiences and opinions. If it is a placebo effect and
    feeling that way makes me an idiot in your eyes then okay, I don't
    care.

    [a] "Bill Rodger" is actually Bill Davidson. He is a troll.

    [b] While there is no "sugar high," there is insulin release. The
    degree of insulin release is dependent on many things, but one of the
    primary factors is the level of glucose.
    Glucose/dextrose/maltodextrin cause the greatest insulin release.
    Fructose causes slow insulin release because it must be converted to
    glucose, primarily in the liver, and some may not be absorbed,
    depending on individual metabolism. Different sugars contain
    different ratios of each. Sucrose (table sugar) is 50/50. Honey and
    HFCS-55 are slightly higher in fructose. Fruit sugars vary in both
    directions: apples, pears, cherries, grapes and oranges favor
    fructose, while bananas, plums, and prunes favor glucose.
    Strawberries and peaches are pretty much even.

    It's not the sugar that affects you; it's the insulin release. Keep
    in mind that honey is a syrup, partly water, so the amount of each
    monosaccharide will automatically be less than it would in the same
    amount of sucrose.

    Of course, there is also the placebo effect. Taking your cues from
    natural/organic food proponents will often convince you that the
    "natural" alternative is always superior to one which has been
    processed. That's not realistic, and at times, it's dangerous.

  17. "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JamesG said:

    Bill Rogers,
    If the whole sugar high thing has been debunked repeatedly then I would
    be curious to see the references. It could all just be a placebo
    effect but I did feel that way. Is the headache that I sometimes get
    from table sugar also something that has been "debunked"? I don't ever
    recall making a blanket statement on the subject anyway and stated that
    these were my experiences and opinions. If it is a placebo effect and
    feeling that way makes me an idiot in your eyes then okay, I don't
    care.

    [a] "Bill Rodger" is actually Bill Davidson. He is a troll.

    Mercy me! A troll!! Why didn't anyone tell me??

    [quote="Quoted message"]
    [b] While there is no "sugar high," there is insulin release. The
    degree of insulin release is dependent on many things, but one of the
    primary factors is the level of glucose.
    Glucose/dextrose/maltodextrin cause the greatest insulin release.
    Fructose causes slow insulin release because it must be converted to
    glucose, primarily in the liver, and some may not be absorbed,
    depending on individual metabolism. Different sugars contain
    different ratios of each. Sucrose (table sugar) is 50/50. Honey and
    HFCS-55 are slightly higher in fructose. Fruit sugars vary in both
    directions: apples, pears, cherries, grapes and oranges favor
    fructose, while bananas, plums, and prunes favor glucose.
    Strawberries and peaches are pretty much even.

    It's not the sugar that affects you; it's the insulin release. Keep
    in mind that honey is a syrup, partly water, so the amount of each
    monosaccharide will automatically be less than it would in the same
    amount of sucrose.

    Of course, there is also the placebo effect. Taking your cues from
    natural/organic food proponents will often convince you that the
    "natural" alternative is always superior to one which has been
    processed. That's not realistic, and at times, it's dangerous.[/quote]

  18. David said:
    JMW said:


    [a] "Bill Rodger" is actually Bill Davidson. He is a troll.

    Mercy me! A troll!! Why didn't anyone tell me??

    We figured you'd recognize one of your own.

  19. "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    David said:
    JMW said:


    [a] "Bill Rodger" is actually Bill Davidson. He is a troll.

    Mercy me! A troll!! Why didn't anyone tell me??

    We figured you'd recognize one of your own.


    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Bill+Rodgers+aka+Bill+Davidson&qt_s=Search

  20. JMW,
    I really appreciate your reply. I always try to eat some "real" food
    when I am eating a lot of sucrose to help smooth out the insulin
    release and it seems to help. I guess I used the term "sugar high" too
    loosely, I did mean blood sugar spike and have noticed that this spike
    makes me feel different.
    Is there anything good or bad about the fact that I seem to be
    affected by sugar somewhat strongly? My grandpa had diabetes and my
    dad has been told to be careful with his diet since he is in early
    stages of it. They both had very bad diets, were overweight, and were
    unhealthy. I don't have any of these risk factors but I figure that
    too many sweets wouldn't be a great idea for me either.

    Thank you,
    James

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.