rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Post your accidents!

Started by squoosh · · Last activity · 51 posts · 1,325 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
30 May 2007
Last activity
3 June 2007
Original author
squoosh
Posts
51
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,325
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 51
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I managed to brake my left hand due to my shoelace getting caught where
    the crank meets the hub. I relised it was caught and tried to dismount
    but my left left foot wouldnt move so i twisted and had a nice hard
    fall no my hand. That was great fun... All of my school friends had
    aagreat fun out of it to 😠

    --
    Sprida
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sprida's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14185
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. 'Yeah.' (

    )

    --
    Jerrick

    ~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
    more!~*~
    '!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
    '!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
    'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
    My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Jerrick said:

    'Yeah.' (

    )

    I remember that!!

    --
    Goats_On_Unicycles

    If time and space are naturally curved, where do all the
    straight people come from??

    'MY -GROOVY- GALLERY'
    (http://tinyurl.com/yeceup) '*
    Unicycle For Goats!!!!!*' (http://tinyurl.com/2vghk6)
    'PM me if you want in!!'
    (http://tinyurl.com/2hbmhn)
    -Homophobia is a social disease.-
    Stop bigotry now!
    *R.I.P Kurt Vonnegut*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goats_On_Unicycles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12566
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. kington99 said:

    A very good sprinter can hold 20mph for 12 seconds, but i doubt anyone
    can accelearte their legs from stationary to 20mph in the time it takes
    to fall from a coker, you would not stand a chance of running out at
    this speed.

    I've run out of 30km/h+, and 20mph (32km/h) can be maintained for a
    longer time than 12 seconds haha, I think Ken Looi once posted that it
    was a possible speed for a world hour record.

    Okay, there was a small crowd crowd watching, and I was infront of this
    long 8 set, preparing to gap it. So I ride up really fast, jump, and at
    the landing I notice my unicycle isn't there anymore... Well, it was
    there, but not at the right place so the landing was kind of painful
    haha

    --
    DustinSchaap

    FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\"😉
    *Sponsored by 'MUNICYCLE.COM' (http://www.municycle.com) , 'QU-AX'
    (http://www.qu-ax.com) and 'SEMCYCLE' (http://www.semcycle.com)*

    *I'm addicted to speed, but not the drug*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DustinSchaap's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12614
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. I have been forced to attempt to "run it out" at speeds around 20 mph
    while longboarding a few times...
    it doesn't work.

    --
    banjo_gun_snake_wheels

    John
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    banjo_gun_snake_wheels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15039
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. DustinSchaap said:

    I've run out of 30km/h+, and 20mph (32km/h) can be maintained for a
    longer time than 12 seconds haha, I think Ken Looi once posted that it
    was a possible speed for a world hour record.

    Oh i'm sure it's been done, but it;s not the kind of speed where you
    can think 'oh I can run out of this fine if i fall'. Also the 20mph for
    12 seconds was referring to running if you read more carefully, not
    unicycling. Actually Ive just realised i used the word 'sprinter' which
    i guess is kindof ambiguous, but I meant running.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. thejdw said:

    you can run out

    Trust me, you can't.

    --
    Loosemoose

    Vice President - Southampton University Circus Society

    "Come on you target for far away laughter,
    come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
    Floyd
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. I made a similar thread a couple weeks or months ago... UPD of The Day.

    --
    Borgschulze

    http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. kington99 said:

    Oh i'm sure it's been done, but it;s not the kind of speed where you can
    think 'oh I can run out of this fine if i fall'. Also the 20mph for 12
    seconds was referring to running if you read more carefully, not
    unicycling. Actually Ive just realised i used the word 'sprinter' which
    i guess is kindof ambiguous, but I meant running.

    Ah sorry, I was reading fast. I have done it but as you say, it's not a
    speed you WANT to run out of, first of all it's a pretty big shock to
    your ankles and it doesn't work all of the time. I just hate the word
    *can't* and Richard, I've heard you admit you don't ride your Schlumpf
    all that much so you hardly have ANY experience with running out at
    fast speeds, so don't be so quick on the can't.

    --
    DustinSchaap

    FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\"😉
    *Sponsored by 'MUNICYCLE.COM' (http://www.municycle.com) , 'QU-AX'
    (http://www.qu-ax.com) and 'SEMCYCLE' (http://www.semcycle.com)*

    *I'm addicted to speed, but not the drug*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DustinSchaap's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12614
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. DustinSchaap said:

    Richard, I've heard you admit you don't ride your Schlumpf all that
    much so you hardly have ANY experience with running out at fast speeds,
    so don't be so quick on the can't.

    Ahaaa, touché.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. MuniAddict said:

    What size cranks are you using to get you nearly 20mph? And may I ask,
    why are you going so fast? It's nearly impossible to run out at that
    speed if you upd, so you're risking serious injury, not to mention the
    uni flying into something or someone.

    Weren't you on the ride where someone broke his back? Didn't you try
    the same section? Let's not get all "safer than thou."

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. in the name of science, fairness and overall moving on, I took my old
    36" frame and bolted it on my wheelset and swapped seatpost assemblies
    with my 29" plain gel seat/post so nothing of value was on board. I
    flew down 4th street where I live and when my friend on bike next to me
    said "20!" I yanked a foot off of its pedal and UPD'd (in the name of
    science). I was able to run out for about 4 slippery steps and then
    fell on my knees.

    Myth Busted. 😉

    --
    mouse
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mouse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14148
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. I'm starting to standardise on rolling out of anything above about 13
    mph. Sure, I *could* run out some of the falls that I have, but quite
    often I'm going too fast to do so. I'm getting the hang of rolling so
    that I don't damage myself too badly (although I don't always succeed).
    My hope is that the risk of severe damage will be lower, even if I
    sometimes hit the asphalt when I didn't strictly need to.

    However, here's an interesting thought: I think it does matter whether
    you fall off forwards or backwards. Overbalancing forwards (which, for
    me, tends to be the most common form of high speed UPD) feels like I'm
    more likely to hit the ground fast and hard - but it does stop the uni
    bouncing about so much or travelling so far... Overbalancing backwards
    whilst riding a decent pace can shoot the uni out miles ahead, but
    almost without exception I land on my feet.

    Why is this? I have a theory that may account for part of it: if you
    fall off the front of the uni at 20mph you're tipping forwards. You
    don't just have to run at 20mph - you actually have to run faster than
    that, accelerating to get your legs back under your body. If you fall
    off the back, you're already in a position that's leaning backwards
    ready to decelerate yourself so you don't have to sustain the high
    speed run out for very long. The deceleration naturally brings you
    back to an upright balance in the process, so you're left standing.

    Since I find high speeds exactly the kind of situation where falling
    off the front is likely, I try to be VERY careful since it's exactly
    the kind of fall that's hardest to survive unharmed.

    --
    mark williamson

    Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
    pedals!
    Mark: To answer a question with a question: What use is a skateboard?
    Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
    Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. MuniAddict said:

    What size cranks are you using to get you nearly 20mph? And may I ask,
    why are you going so fast? It's nearly impossible to run out at that
    speed if you upd, so you're risking serious injury, not to mention the
    uni flying into something or someone.

    I think you risk injury when you get on anything with one wheel.

    --
    Evan Byrne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. mouse said:


    Myth Busted. 😉

    I'm sorry but without a bald guy with a moustache and beret it's not
    quite the same.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. tholub said:

    Weren't you on the ride where someone broke his back? Didn't you try
    the same section? Let's not get all "safer than thou."

    Nah I wasn't there when Jim (Munivision) fell and fractured his back.
    From what he tells me, the doc predicts 100% recovery, so that's great
    news!😄 As for "safer than thou", I just think it would be very
    unlikely to immediately catch up to the speed of a 20mph UPD,
    especially if it was sudden (which most are) and you didn't have
    adequate warning to prepare. I've had my share of UPD's, but at much
    slower speeds, like in the 5-8 mph range.

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. MuniAddict said:

    Nah I wasn't there when Jim (Munivision) fell and fractured his back.
    From what he tells me, the doc predicts 100% recovery, so that's great
    news!😄 As for "safer than thou", I just think it would be very
    unlikely to immediately catch up to the speed of a 20mph UPD,
    especially if it was sudden (which most are) and you didn't have
    adequate warning to prepare. I've had my share of UPD's, but at much
    slower speeds, like in the 5-8 mph range.

    You may not be able to run out a UPD, but I don't think a street UPD at
    20mph is significantly more likely to cause serious injury than, for
    example, riding the MUni stuff that Josh and Eyal do.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. tholub said:

    You may not be able to run out a UPD, but I don't think a street UPD at
    20mph is significantly more likely to cause serious injury than, for
    example, riding the MUni stuff that Josh and Eyal do.

    I'd agree there, but I in no way do the level of crazy drops and stuff
    that those guys do. And they've both had some pretty bad UPD's and
    injuries.

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. MuniAddict said:

    I'd agree there, but I in no way do the level of crazy drops and stuff
    that those guys do. And they've both had some pretty bad UPD's and
    injuries.

    Do you tell them not to do it because they might get hurt?

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. tholub said:

    Do you tell them not to do it because they might get hurt?

    Hahaha

    --
    DustinSchaap

    FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\"😉
    *Sponsored by 'MUNICYCLE.COM' (http://www.municycle.com) , 'QU-AX'
    (http://www.qu-ax.com) and 'SEMCYCLE' (http://www.semcycle.com)*

    *I'm addicted to speed, but not the drug*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DustinSchaap's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12614
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61306

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.