Postal has a sprinter?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gary, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Dutchman Max van Heeswijk (US Postal-Berry Floor) has triumphed in stage 2 of the Ruta del Sol,
    winning a bunch sprint ahead of Oscar Freire (Rabobank) and Erik Zabel (T-Mobile). The latter took
    over the race lead after overnight leader Tom Boonen only finished 32nd, however the first 65 riders
    are all on the same time. (cyclingnews.com)

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:39:33 -0600, Gary wrote:
    > Dutchman Max van Heeswijk (US Postal-Berry Floor) has triumphed in stage 2 of the Ruta del Sol,
    > winning a bunch sprint

    He has always been considered a sprinter. Not a pure sprinter like Quaranta, more one for smaller
    groups at the end of hard races. http://dewielersite.net/coureurs/heeswijkvan_m.htm

  3. Matabala

    Matabala Guest

    Meanwhile, Georgie out with his bout of annual "stomach problems". Must have eaten something that
    didn't agree with him.

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:39:33 -0600, Gary wrote:
    > > Dutchman Max van Heeswijk (US Postal-Berry Floor) has triumphed in stage 2 of the Ruta del
    > > Sol, winning a bunch sprint
    >
    > He has always been considered a sprinter. Not a pure sprinter like Quaranta, more one for smaller
    > groups at the end of hard races. http://dewielersite.net/coureurs/heeswijkvan_m.htm

  4. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    matabala wrote:
    > Meanwhile, Georgie out with his bout of annual "stomach problems". Must have eaten something that
    > didn't agree with him.

    In Spain, is this a big surprise?

    Dan

  5. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    Gary <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dutchman Max van Heeswijk (US Postal-Berry Floor) has triumphed in stage 2 of the Ruta del Sol,
    > winning a bunch sprint ahead of Oscar Freire (Rabobank) and Erik Zabel (T-Mobile). The latter took
    > over the race lead after overnight leader Tom Boonen only finished 32nd, however the first 65
    > riders are all on the same time. (cyclingnews.com)

    Second stage win today. Still sprinting well.

  6. Art M

    Art M Guest

    "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > matabala wrote:
    > > Meanwhile, Georgie out with his bout of annual "stomach problems". Must
    have
    > > eaten something that didn't agree with him.
    > >
    > In Spain, is this a big surprise?
    >
    > Dan

    What the hell is that supposed to mean. I suppose you're one of those who thinks a tortilla is made
    with corn. What I wouldn't give for paella right now.

    --Art

  7. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    Art M wrote:
    > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>matabala wrote:
    >>
    >>>Meanwhile, Georgie out with his bout of annual "stomach problems". Must
    > have
    >>>eaten something that didn't agree with him.
    >>>

    >>In Spain, is this a big surprise?
    >
    > What the hell is that supposed to mean. I suppose you're one of those who thinks a tortilla is
    > made with corn.

    In my part of the world, waitstaff default to speaking Spanish & giving corn tortillas to la raza,
    and speaking English & giving flour tortillas to the anglos.

  8. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "Art M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > matabala wrote:
    > > > Meanwhile, Georgie out with his bout of annual "stomach problems". Must
    > have
    > > > eaten something that didn't agree with him.
    > > >
    > > In Spain, is this a big surprise?
    > >
    > > Dan
    > >

    > What the hell is that supposed to mean.

    It was that chicken ceviche.

  9. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Amit) wrote:

    > "Art M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > > news:CIkYb[email protected]...
    > > have
    > > > >
    > > > In Spain, is this a big surprise?
    > > >
    > > > Dan
    > > >

    > > What the hell is that supposed to mean.
    >
    > It was that chicken ceviche.

    Amit, From Larouse Gastronomique: "Ceviche: Also known as cebiche. A dish, characteristically of
    Peruvian cookery, that is based on raw fish marinated in lemon juice and is served with sweet limes,
    raw onion rings, tomatoes and boiled sweet corn."

    There is a dish of raw beef marinated in lemon juice and chiles (as well as a few other
    ingredients) called carne apache, as well as a variation from pollo (both are really good, too).

    I know that frequently certain tapas are prepped early and left out for some time, but usually
    not items with ingredients that could spoil easily, like chicken. Those tapas are prepped just
    prior to being consumed.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "We're not laughing -at- you, we're laughing -with- you..) "But... I'm not
    laughing???" Happiness

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  10. Amit

    Amit Guest

    Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > (Amit) wrote:
    >
    > > "Art M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > have

    > > > What the hell is that supposed to mean.
    > >
    > > It was that chicken ceviche.
    >
    > Amit, From Larouse Gastronomique:
    >
    > There is a dish of raw beef marinated in lemon juice and chiles (as well as a few other
    > ingredients) called carne apache, as well as a variation from pollo (both are really good,
    > too).

    It's made with raw chicken ?

  11. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Amit) wrote:

    > Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<YOURhoward-
    > [email protected]>...

    > > There is a dish of raw beef marinated in lemon juice and chiles (as well as a few other
    > > ingredients) called carne apache, as well as a variation from pollo (both are really good,
    > > too).
    > >

    > It's made with raw chicken ?

    Ground chicken marinated overnight in the acidic lemon juice isn't raw anymore. It can be put in
    a hot saute pan and tossed a couple times to put a little heat into it before serving (put it on
    tortillas), but I've had it cold. Last did this about nine or ten years ago, so I can't recall
    the exact recipe.

    Of course, neither of these is Spanish -- more Mexican.

    If you're interested in Spanish food, I suggest the book "Tapas, the Little Dishes of Spain", by
    Penelope Casas. A couple of my faves from that are Chicken in Garlic Sauce, and Marinated
    Asparagus Wrapped with Ham. Or Grilled Fresh Tuna on Dressed Tomatoes, yum.

    Spend some time in downtown Barcelona, and you'll discover that the phrase "Little Dishes of
    Spain" has more than one meaning, heh.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "We're not laughing -at- you, we're laughing -with- you..) "But... I'm not
    laughing???" Happiness

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  12. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Howard Kveck wrote:

    > Ground chicken marinated overnight in the acidic lemon juice isn't raw anymore.

    Well, it may not be raw in the sense that its proteins have coagulated from the change in pH, but
    from a microbiology point of view it's pretty raw.

  13. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Howard Kveck wrote:
    > >
    > > Ground chicken marinated overnight in the acidic lemon juice isn't raw anymore.
    >
    > Well, it may not be raw in the sense that its proteins have coagulated from the change in pH, but
    > from a microbiology point of view it's pretty raw.

    The texture has decidedly changed to being close to that of cooked, and I think of as chemically
    cooked, but you are correct. However, I can't say that description would be very appealing on a
    menu, heh.

    I have never had a problem eating raw beef in small bits, but raw poultry is pretty unappetizing
    to me. That marinated version was easy to eat, though. I would have to say that, from a safety
    standpoint, raw beef is less risky than poultry (salmonella).

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "We're not laughing -at- you, we're laughing -with- you..) "But... I'm not
    laughing???" Happiness

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  14. Art M

    Art M Guest

    "Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Art M wrote:
    > > "Dan Connelly" <[email protected]_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > have
    > >>>

    > >>In Spain, is this a big surprise?
    > >
    > > What the hell is that supposed to mean. I suppose you're one of those
    who
    > > thinks a tortilla is made with corn.
    >
    > In my part of the world, waitstaff default to speaking Spanish & giving corn tortillas to la raza,
    > and speaking English & giving flour tortillas to the anglos.

    Way to late in getting back to this thread but... My point was that in Spain a tortilla is made with
    eggs. It's an omelet. I posed this as a foil to the American ideas that Mexican water will make you
    sick, and that Mexico=Spain.

    --Art

  15. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Art M" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > In my part of the world, waitstaff default to speaking Spanish & giving corn tortillas to la
    > > raza, and speaking English & giving flour tortillas to the anglos.
    > >

    > Way to late in getting back to this thread but... My point was that in Spain a tortilla is made
    > with eggs. It's an omelet. I posed this as a foil to the American ideas that Mexican water will
    > make you sick, and that Mexico=Spain.
    >
    > --Art

    It's frequently a potato omelet, too. Many different fillings, like onion, eel, chorizo or
    truffles and cheese, can be had. Good stuff.