Postal Service sponsorships criticized

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Greg Hall, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Greg Hall

    Greg Hall Guest

    From the Salon.com news story http://salon.com/tech/wire/2003/07/07/postal_service/index.html

    "The audit said 500 tickets to a cycling event in 2001 were not tracked. Replied Bizzotto, "The
    Postal Service was not provided with 500 tickets to any cycling event in 2001." The OIG responded
    that it had been given the 500-ticket figure by Threshold Sports, a firm that promotes cycling."

    Which cycling event would Threshold Sports be referring to? A Euro six day? Do any cycling events in
    the USA actually sell tickets?

    Greg Hall

    Tags:

  2. Time Cop

    Time Cop New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    Very interesting story. For years, some in the media have (erroneously) speculated that mailing costs would be lower "if the Postal Service wouldn't spend so much money paying those guys to race bicycles."

  3. Greg Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    > From the Salon.com news story http://salon.com/tech/wire/2003/07/07/postal_service/index.html

    > "The audit said 500 tickets to a cycling event in 2001 were not tracked. Replied Bizzotto, "The
    > Postal Service was not provided with 500 tickets to any cycling event in 2001." The OIG responded
    > that it had been given the 500-ticket figure by Threshold Sports, a firm that promotes cycling."

    > Which cycling event would Threshold Sports be referring to? A Euro six day? Do any cycling events
    > in the USA actually sell tickets?

    There are tickets for the "VIP bleachers" at Corestates (First Union, Wachovia, Philly, you know).
    Probably similar at SFGP. Are there 500? Maybe, or if you added up the tickets for all the Threshold
    events in a year you might get to 500. Of course these are nearly zero-value items which the USPS
    probably hands out to people to make them feel good (You can buy tickets, but who does?) It's not
    like VIP tickets for boxes at Giants Stadium. This should be a non-issue.

  4. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Greg Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > From the Salon.com news story http://salon.com/tech/wire/2003/07/07/postal_service/index.html
    >
    > > "The audit said 500 tickets to a cycling event in 2001 were not tracked. Replied Bizzotto, "The
    > > Postal Service was not provided with 500 tickets to any cycling event in 2001." The OIG
    > > responded that it had been given the 500-ticket figure by Threshold Sports, a firm that promotes
    > > cycling."
    >
    > > Which cycling event would Threshold Sports be referring to? A Euro six day? Do any cycling
    > > events in the USA actually sell tickets?
    >
    > There are tickets for the "VIP bleachers" at Corestates (First Union, Wachovia, Philly, you know).
    > Probably similar at SFGP. Are there 500? Maybe, or if you added up the tickets for all the
    > Threshold events in a year you might get to 500. Of course these are nearly zero-value items which
    > the USPS probably hands out to people to make them feel good (You can buy tickets, but who does?)

    I had 4 VIP tickets for the 2001 SFGP and the extra TV monitors and loads of decent free food and
    drink had some value.

    -WG

  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Greg Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From the Salon.com news story http://salon.com/tech/wire/2003/07/07/postal_service/index.html
    >
    > "The audit said 500 tickets to a cycling event in 2001 were not tracked. Replied Bizzotto, "The
    > Postal Service was not provided with 500 tickets to any cycling event in 2001." The OIG responded
    > that it had been given the 500-ticket figure by Threshold Sports, a firm that promotes cycling."
    >
    > Which cycling event would Threshold Sports be referring to? A Euro six day? Do any cycling events
    > in the USA actually sell tickets?
    >
    > Greg Hall

    Threshold sells VIP passes. That could be what the "tickets" mean. In Philly there is usually a USPS
    special VIP section.

  6. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:080720031521579780%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Greg Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > From the Salon.com news story http://salon.com/tech/wire/2003/07/07/postal_service/index.html
    > >
    > > > "The audit said 500 tickets to a cycling event in 2001 were not tracked. Replied Bizzotto,
    > > > "The Postal Service was not provided with 500 tickets to any cycling event in 2001." The OIG
    > > > responded that it had been given the 500-ticket figure by Threshold Sports, a firm that
    > > > promotes cycling."
    > >
    > > > Which cycling event would Threshold Sports be referring to? A Euro six day? Do any cycling
    > > > events in the USA actually sell tickets?
    > >
    > > There are tickets for the "VIP bleachers" at Corestates (First Union, Wachovia, Philly, you
    > > know). Probably similar at SFGP. Are there 500? Maybe, or if you added up the tickets for all
    > > the Threshold events in a year you might get to 500. Of course these are nearly zero-value items
    > > which the USPS probably hands out to people to make them feel good (You can buy tickets, but who
    > > does?)
    >
    > I had 4 VIP tickets for the 2001 SFGP and the extra TV monitors and loads of decent free food and
    > drink had some value.
    >
    > -WG

    If you paid for the VIP passes, the food was not really free, now was it?

  7. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Sam <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:080720031521579780%[email protected]...

    > > > There are tickets for the "VIP bleachers" at Corestates (First Union, Wachovia, Philly, you
    > > > know). Probably similar at SFGP. Are there 500? Maybe, or if you added up the tickets for all
    > > > the Threshold events in a year you might get to 500. Of course these are nearly zero-value
    > > > items which the USPS probably hands out to people to make them feel good (You can buy tickets,
    > > > but who does?)
    > >
    > > I had 4 VIP tickets for the 2001 SFGP and the extra TV monitors and loads of decent free food
    > > and drink had some value.
    > >
    > > -WG
    >
    > If you paid for the VIP passes, the food was not really free, now was it?

    I didn't pay for them, but the race director who gave them to me could attach some value to them for
    accounting purposes, eh?

    -WG

  8. Tom I

    Tom I Guest

    That's what the people behind the counter at the post office always say... "Time Cop"