Posting - How Long?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jussibjoerling, Apr 10, 2003.

  1. When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes affect?
    Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes affect?
    > Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

    Usenet newsgroup posting is from newsserver to newsserver. You have posted to Google's Server. I
    have posted to News.CIS.DFN.DE (in Germany even though I am located in the U.S.) My newsserver
    hast to pass my message to your newsserver before you can read it. The message may go through
    several servers before it reaches Google. Your newsserver may delay it further before making it
    available for you to read. Google is the biggest reason for your delay, but there can be many
    others along the path.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > > When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes
    > > affect? Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

    BTW, I just checked Google. Neither your post or my reply has been made available by Google yet

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. John W

    John W Guest

    I use my ISP's news server and use Outlook Express 6 for my newsreader. Most post normally appear in
    under a minute. Another nice feature with OE 6 is you can highlight a post and hit the delete key
    and it will never appear again in your newsreader. You can delete the whole thread with this method.
    Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete them. You
    will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read. Its great!

    John

    "JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes affect?
    > Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

  5. Mike O'Brien

    Mike O'Brien Guest

    "John W" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I use my ISP's news server and use Outlook Express 6 for my newsreader.
    Most
    > post normally appear in under a minute. Another nice feature with OE 6 is you can highlight a post
    > and hit the delete key and it will never appear again in your newsreader. You can delete the whole
    > thread with this
    method.
    > Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete them. You
    > will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read. Its great!

    Not true. I use OE 6 and as har as I've tried I Still cannot delete your post!

    Regards,

    Mike O'Brien

    War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left...

    ---

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    John W(ho?) wrote:

    > ... Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete them.
    > You will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read....

    If John W deletes my posts without reading them, how does he know that 90% of them are off-topic [1]
    and in addition, are not enjoyable [2] to read?

    [1] A gross misrepresentation of reality on his part.
    [2] Completely subjective, of course.

  7. Cletus It took almost 6 hours to post. How can I get this NG without going through Google?
    Incidently, always enjoyed your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

  8. Like Cletus, I use news.cis.dfn.de which is both fast and free. If you go to
    http://news.cis.dfn.de/, registration is a painless affair. Then any old news client can be
    configured to read the newsfroup - I use Outlook Express, because I am a bone-idle layabout;
    Netscape Communicator can also be used relatively painlessly.

    HTH

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    When posting through Google, you can expect to wait 4-8 hours according to their disclaimer after
    you post. Mine seem to take effect immediately through my news server which is what determines the
    speed of posting... not your usenet software.

    Derek

    In <[email protected]> JussiBjoerling wrote:
    > When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes affect?
    > Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

  10. I just posted a reply to Tom. Google prints out your post and there is a notification above the post
    that it may take "3 to 9 hours" for the post to appear on Google. The Post Office delivers faster
    than that (on Sundays) . Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > John W(ho?) wrote:
    > >
    > > ... Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete
    > > them. You will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read....
    >
    > If John W deletes my posts without reading them, how does he know that 90% of them are off-topic
    > [1] and in addition, are not enjoyable [2] to read?
    >
    > [1] A gross misrepresentation of reality on his part.
    > [2] Completely subjective, of course.

  11. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Like Cletus, I use news.cis.dfn.de which is both fast and free. If you go to
    > http://news.cis.dfn.de/, registration is a painless affair. Then any old news client can be
    > configured to read the newsfroup - I use Outlook Express, because I am a bone-idle layabout;
    > Netscape Communicator can also be used relatively painlessly.

    Outlook And Outlook Express are subject to infection and are on my banned list on mail clients. I
    use an actual news reader Gravity (also free).

    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

    It allows me to filter out bozos like Martin Kreig (until he changes his email address again). And I
    can ignore certain politically motivated threads completely and do not have to wade through them
    again and again.

    -- Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  12. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Not in theUS. I'm still waiting (10 days) for a bike part mailed form about 80 miles away...
    "JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just posted a reply to Tom. Google prints out your post and there is a notification above the
    > post that it may take "3 to 9 hours" for the post to appear on Google. The Post Office delivers
    > faster than that (on Sundays) . Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > John W(ho?) wrote:
    > > >
    > > > ... Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90%
    OT)
    > > > posts and delete them. You will then having nothing but enjoyable on
    topic
    > > > bent posts to read....
    > >
    > > If John W deletes my posts without reading them, how does he know that 90% of them are off-topic
    > > [1] and in addition, are not enjoyable [2] to read?
    > >
    > > [1] A gross misrepresentation of reality on his part.
    > > [2] Completely subjective, of course.
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

  13. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    > . Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > John W(ho?) wrote:
    > > >
    > > > ... Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete
    > > > them. You will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read....
    > >
    > > If John W deletes my posts without reading them, how does he know that 90% of them are off-topic
    > > [1] and in addition, are not enjoyable [2] to read?
    > >
    > > [1] A gross misrepresentation of reality on his part.
    > > [2] Completely subjective, of course.
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

    John W probably deletes your posts based on previous experience with your posts. He is one smart
    cookie to do so. I wish I could do that too but I am always curious as to what wrongheadedness you
    are currently up to.

    By the way, although I do enjoy your footnotes, could you not incorporate them into the body of your
    text. After all, no one on this newsgroup is exactly a scholar.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    JussiBjoerling wrote:

    > He has espn.

    My posts are on ESPN? They should start paying me royalty money. ;)

    I do not have ESPN since I am unwilling to pay for cable TV.

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Edward Dolan wrote:
    > ... By the way, although I do enjoy your footnotes, could you not incorporate them into the body
    > of your text. After all, no one on this newsgroup is exactly a scholar.

    There are several contributors to a.r.b.r. who are university professors and who are expected to
    publish papers in peer reviewed journals [1] in addition to teaching. They would normally be
    considered scholars.

    [1] These papers invariably use either footnotes or endnotes.

  16. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    > Edward Dolan wrote:
    > > ... By the way, although I do enjoy your footnotes, could you not incorporate them into the body
    > > of your text. After all, no one on this newsgroup is exactly a scholar.
    >
    > There are several contributors to a.r.b.r. who are university professors and who are expected to
    > publish papers in peer reviewed journals [1] in addition to teaching. They would normally be
    > considered scholars.
    >
    > [1] These papers invariably use either footnotes or endnotes.

    University professors on arbr? You could have fooled me. A paper in a peer reviewed journal will of
    course have footnotes but what does that have to do with arbr? I would guess that you are the only
    one who is using footnotes or endnotes. Don't you think it is slightly pretentious of you to be
    doing this? Even if you are a university professor you ought to have enough sense to tailor your
    writing to your audience. If you say there are university professors on arbr I will accept that, but
    unfortunately I am afraid I am only reading the blockhheads.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  17. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "Edward Dolan" <

    <snip>>
    > University professors on arbr? You could have fooled me. A paper in a peer reviewed journal will
    > of course have footnotes but what does that have to do with arbr? I would guess that you are the
    > only one who is using footnotes or endnotes. Don't you think it is slightly pretentious of you to
    > be doing this? Even if you are a university professor you ought to have enough sense to tailor
    > your writing to your audience. If you say there are university professors on arbr I will accept
    > that, but unfortunately I am afraid I am only reading the blockhheads.
    >
    > Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    Perhaps you should be a little more selective in your reading. It appears so far that you have
    joined this newsgroup to argue politics. You have also not seemed to learn how to handle a troll.
    Mr. Sherman has you rising to the bait routinely, much to the amusement of the a.r.b.r. regulars.

    Tom Thompson

  18. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Edward Dolan wrote:

    > University professors on arbr? You could have fooled me. A paper in a peer reviewed journal will
    > of course have footnotes but what does that have to do with arbr? I would guess that you are the
    > only one who is using footnotes or endnotes. Don't you think it is slightly pretentious of you to
    > be doing this? Even if you are a university professor you ought to have enough sense to tailor
    > your writing to your audience. If you say there are university professors on arbr I will accept
    > that, but unfortunately I am afraid I am only reading the blockhheads.

    Scott Talkington (who seems to be taking a vacation from a.r.b.r.) is a Professor of Political
    Science. I believe that Ron Friedel was a Professor of Geoscience before retirement. I have a friend
    who is a Professor of Statistical Methods who posts very infrequently to a.r.b.r. That makes at
    least three university professors who have posted to
    a.r.b.r.

    British Human Power Club Newsletter Editor Dave "Legs Larry" Larrington also uses footnotes when
    posting to a.r.b.r. and various HPV related email lists.

  19. Derek What news server do you use?

    news:<[email protected]>...