Posting - How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jussibjoerling

When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes affect?
Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes affect?
> Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?
>
Usenet newsgroup posting is from newsserver to newsserver. You have posted to Google's Server. I
have posted to News.CIS.DFN.DE (in Germany even though I am located in the U.S.) My newsserver
hast to pass my message to your newsserver before you can read it. The message may go through
several servers before it reaches Google. Your newsserver may delay it further before making it
available for you to read. Google is the biggest reason for your delay, but there can be many
others along the path.
--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes
> > affect? Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

BTW, I just checked Google. Neither your post or my reply has been made available by Google yet

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

I use my ISP's news server and use Outlook Express 6 for my newsreader. Most post normally appear in
under a minute. Another nice feature with OE 6 is you can highlight a post and hit the delete key
and it will never appear again in your newsreader. You can delete the whole thread with this method.
Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete them. You
will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read. Its great!

John

"JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes affect?

"John W" <[email protected]> wrote

> I use my ISP's news server and use Outlook Express 6 for my newsreader.
Most
> post normally appear in under a minute. Another nice feature with OE 6 is you can highlight a post
> and hit the delete key and it will never appear again in your newsreader. You can delete the whole
> thread with this
method.
> Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete them. You
> will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read. Its great!

Not true. I use OE 6 and as har as I've tried I Still cannot delete your post!

Regards,

Mike O'Brien

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left...

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.470 / Virus Database: 268 - Release Date: 4/8/2003

John W(ho?) wrote:
>
> ... Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete them.
> You will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read....

If John W deletes my posts without reading them, how does he know that 90% of them are off-topic [1]
and in addition, are not enjoyable [2] to read?

[1] A gross misrepresentation of reality on his part.
[2] Completely subjective, of course.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Cletus It took almost 6 hours to post. How can I get this NG without going through Google?
Incidently, always enjoyed your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Like Cletus, I use news.cis.dfn.de which is both fast and free. If you go to
http://news.cis.dfn.de/, registration is a painless affair. Then any old news client can be
configured to read the newsfroup - I use Outlook Express, because I am a bone-idle layabout;
Netscape Communicator can also be used relatively painlessly.

HTH

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

When posting through Google, you can expect to wait 4-8 hours according to their disclaimer after
you post. Mine seem to take effect immediately through my news server which is what determines the
speed of posting... not your usenet software.

Derek

In <[email protected]> JussiBjoerling wrote:

I just posted a reply to Tom. Google prints out your post and there is a notification above the post
that it may take "3 to 9 hours" for the post to appear on Google. The Post Office delivers faster
than that (on Sundays) . Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> John W(ho?) wrote:
> >
> > ... Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete
> > them. You will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read....
>
> If John W deletes my posts without reading them, how does he know that 90% of them are off-topic
> [1] and in addition, are not enjoyable [2] to read?
>
> [1] A gross misrepresentation of reality on his part.
> [2] Completely subjective, of course.
>
> Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

> Like Cletus, I use news.cis.dfn.de which is both fast and free. If you go to
> http://news.cis.dfn.de/, registration is a painless affair. Then any old news client can be
> configured to read the newsfroup - I use Outlook Express, because I am a bone-idle layabout;
> Netscape Communicator can also be used relatively painlessly.

Outlook And Outlook Express are subject to infection and are on my banned list on mail clients. I
use an actual news reader Gravity (also free).

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

It allows me to filter out bozos like Martin Kreig (until he changes his email address again). And I
can ignore certain politically motivated threads completely and do not have to wade through them
again and again.

-- Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Not in theUS. I'm still waiting (10 days) for a bike part mailed form about 80 miles away...
"JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just posted a reply to Tom. Google prints out your post and there is a notification above the
> post that it may take "3 to 9 hours" for the post to appear on Google. The Post Office delivers
> faster than that (on Sundays) . Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > John W(ho?) wrote:
> > >
> > > ... Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90%
OT)
> > > posts and delete them. You will then having nothing but enjoyable on
topic
> > > bent posts to read....
> >
> > If John W deletes my posts without reading them, how does he know that 90% of them are off-topic
> > [1] and in addition, are not enjoyable [2] to read?
> >
> > [1] A gross misrepresentation of reality on his part.
> > [2] Completely subjective, of course.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

> . Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > John W(ho?) wrote:
> > >
> > > ... Whenever I go into arbr I scan for any OT posts or Tom Sherman (90% OT) posts and delete
> > > them. You will then having nothing but enjoyable on topic bent posts to read....
> >
> > If John W deletes my posts without reading them, how does he know that 90% of them are off-topic
> > [1] and in addition, are not enjoyable [2] to read?
> >
> > [1] A gross misrepresentation of reality on his part.
> > [2] Completely subjective, of course.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

John W probably deletes your posts based on previous experience with your posts. He is one smart
cookie to do so. I wish I could do that too but I am always curious as to what wrongheadedness you
are currently up to.

By the way, although I do enjoy your footnotes, could you not incorporate them into the body of your
text. After all, no one on this newsgroup is exactly a scholar.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

JussiBjoerling wrote:
>
> He has espn.

My posts are on ESPN? They should start paying me royalty money. ;)

I do not have ESPN since I am unwilling to pay for cable TV.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> ... By the way, although I do enjoy your footnotes, could you not incorporate them into the body
> of your text. After all, no one on this newsgroup is exactly a scholar.

There are several contributors to a.r.b.r. who are university professors and who are expected to
publish papers in peer reviewed journals [1] in addition to teaching. They would normally be
considered scholars.

[1] These papers invariably use either footnotes or endnotes.

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > ... By the way, although I do enjoy your footnotes, could you not incorporate them into the body
> > of your text. After all, no one on this newsgroup is exactly a scholar.
>
> There are several contributors to a.r.b.r. who are university professors and who are expected to
> publish papers in peer reviewed journals [1] in addition to teaching. They would normally be
> considered scholars.
>
> [1] These papers invariably use either footnotes or endnotes.
>
> Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

University professors on arbr? You could have fooled me. A paper in a peer reviewed journal will of
course have footnotes but what does that have to do with arbr? I would guess that you are the only
one who is using footnotes or endnotes. Don't you think it is slightly pretentious of you to be
doing this? Even if you are a university professor you ought to have enough sense to tailor your
writing to your audience. If you say there are university professors on arbr I will accept that, but
unfortunately I am afraid I am only reading the blockhheads.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Edward Dolan" <

<snip>>
> University professors on arbr? You could have fooled me. A paper in a peer reviewed journal will
> of course have footnotes but what does that have to do with arbr? I would guess that you are the
> only one who is using footnotes or endnotes. Don't you think it is slightly pretentious of you to
> be doing this? Even if you are a university professor you ought to have enough sense to tailor
> your writing to your audience. If you say there are university professors on arbr I will accept
> that, but unfortunately I am afraid I am only reading the blockhheads.
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Perhaps you should be a little more selective in your reading. It appears so far that you have
joined this newsgroup to argue politics. You have also not seemed to learn how to handle a troll.
Mr. Sherman has you rising to the bait routinely, much to the amusement of the a.r.b.r. regulars.

Tom Thompson

Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> University professors on arbr? You could have fooled me. A paper in a peer reviewed journal will
> of course have footnotes but what does that have to do with arbr? I would guess that you are the
> only one who is using footnotes or endnotes. Don't you think it is slightly pretentious of you to
> be doing this? Even if you are a university professor you ought to have enough sense to tailor
> your writing to your audience. If you say there are university professors on arbr I will accept
> that, but unfortunately I am afraid I am only reading the blockhheads.

Scott Talkington (who seems to be taking a vacation from a.r.b.r.) is a Professor of Political
Science. I believe that Ron Friedel was a Professor of Geoscience before retirement. I have a friend
who is a Professor of Statistical Methods who posts very infrequently to a.r.b.r. That makes at
least three university professors who have posted to
a.r.b.r.

British Human Power Club Newsletter Editor Dave "Legs Larry" Larrington also uses footnotes when
posting to a.r.b.r. and various HPV related email lists.

Derek What news server do you use?

Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
> When posting through Google, you can expect to wait 4-8 hours according to their disclaimer after
> you post. Mine seem to take effect immediately through my news server which is what determines the
> speed of posting... not your usenet software.
>
> Derek
>
>
> In <[email protected]> JussiBjoerling wrote:
> > When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes
> > affect? Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.