Posting - How Long?

Plus Bill Patterson (hi Bill!), who has recently retired from the post of Prof of Mechanical
engineering at Cal Poly, and wrote the book - literally - on single-track vehicle dynamics...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Look at the line [email protected]> wrote. He uses news.vigoris.net. You use posting.google.com.

"JussiBjoerling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Derek What news server do you use?
>
> Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > When posting through Google, you can expect to wait 4-8 hours according to their disclaimer
> > after you post. Mine seem to take effect immediately through my news server which is what
> > determines the speed of posting... not your usenet software.
> >
> > Derek
> >

> > In <[email protected]> JussiBjoerling wrote:
> > > When posting a reply or starting a new topic, how long does it take before the post takes
> > > affect? Several times I noticed more than an hour's delay. Any reason(s)?

"Tom Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Edward Dolan" <
>
> <snip>>
> > University professors on arbr? You could have fooled me. A paper in a peer reviewed journal will
> > of course have footnotes but what does that have to do with arbr? I would guess that you are the
> > only one who is using footnotes or endnotes. Don't you think it is slightly pretentious of you
> > to be doing this? Even if you are a university professor you ought to have enough sense to
> > tailor your writing to your audience. If you say there are university professors on arbr I will
> > accept that, but unfortunately I am afraid I am only reading the blockhheads.
> >
> > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>
> Perhaps you should be a little more selective in your reading. It appears so far that you have
> joined this newsgroup to argue politics. You have also not seemed to learn how to handle a troll.
> Mr. Sherman has you rising to the bait routinely, much to the amusement of the a.r.b.r. regulars.
>
> Tom Thompson

I know full well what Mr. Sherman is doing everytime he "trolls", but what passes for humor and
amusement on this newsgoup is of no interest to me. I choose to take very seriously everything that
is said and respond in my own inimitable manner. You and your ilk are easily amused and I am
delighted to be able to add to the general merriment. The fact that you and others (so you say) are
apparently taking everything I say very seriously should make you wonder who is trolling who. A
serious man is not ever serious when he is dealing with fools (is this a "troll"?). Mr. Sherman to
his credit will not respond to my troll because he is intelligent, but perhaps you will. I choose to
respond to his trolls though because it amuses me to do so.

As to only posting on the OT, again it amuses me to do so. Also the OT subjects are of more interest
to me than any of the recumbent related subjects although I do keep up on what everyone is saying.
But after 20 years of being around recumbents I have heard it all before and said much better by
others. There is really not much new under the sun when it comes to recumbents (is this a troll?),
but if it is new to you , then it is new.

By the way, I consider myself an arbr regular, having been following the posts on this newsgroup for
the past year. But that does not mean that I am going to necessarily conform to any other regulars
such as yourself if that is what you are.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Edward Dolan wrote:
> >
> > University professors on arbr? You could have fooled me. A paper in a peer reviewed journal will
> > of course have footnotes but what does that have to do with arbr? I would guess that you are the
> > only one who is using footnotes or endnotes. Don't you think it is slightly pretentious of you
> > to be doing this? Even if you are a university professor you ought to have enough sense to
> > tailor your writing to your audience. If you say there are university professors on arbr I will
> > accept that, but unfortunately I am afraid I am only reading the blockhheads.
>
> Scott Talkington (who seems to be taking a vacation from a.r.b.r.) is a Professor of Political
> Science. I believe that Ron Friedel was a Professor of Geoscience before retirement. I have a
> friend who is a Professor of Statistical Methods who posts very infrequently to a.r.b.r. That
> makes at least three university professors who have posted to
> a.r.b.r.
>
> British Human Power Club Newsletter Editor Dave "Legs Larry" Larrington also uses footnotes when
> posting to a.r.b.r. and various HPV related email lists.

I stated in my previous post that I accepted your statement that there are univeristy professors on
arbr. So you have added some names along with that of Mr. Larrington who I do note uses footnotes as
idiotically as you do. So you are not alone in your use of footnotes, but you are in a minority of a
handful. You claim to be a writer. Why not prove it by constructing your sentences so that all the
pertinent information gets conveyed without the use of footnotes. It is possible. I have done it all
my life. There is a place for footnotes in certain types of publications and arbr is not one of
them. Who do you think 95% of your readers are? University professors?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> I stated in my previous post that I accepted your statement that there are univeristy professors
> on arbr. So you have added some names along with that of Mr. Larrington who I do note uses
> footnotes as idiotically as you do. So you are not alone in your use of footnotes, but you are in
> a minority of a handful. You claim to be a writer. Why not prove it by constructing your sentences
> so that all the pertinent information gets conveyed without the use of footnotes. It is possible.
> I have done it all my life. There is a place for footnotes in certain types of publications and
> arbr is not one of them. Who do you think 95% of your readers are? University professors?
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I see nothing wrong with being in a minority of a handful - after all, recumbent riders are a
minority within the minority of cyclists relative to the general population. [1] The majority is not
always right.

I find the clarity of sentences and paragraphs to be improved when information that relevant but
not essential to understanding the meaning of a sentence and/or paragraph is relegated to a
footnote. [2]

Since alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent is a non-moderated Usenet group, we are free to post anything
within the limits of free speech of the country we live in. In addition, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
is not a publication.

[1] Being in a minority of a handful can also be a good thing. I am one of the few (I am aware of
only one other) Dragonflyer owners who also has a Sunset. [3]
[2] These are also endnotes in the case of Usenet, which lacks page breaks.
[3] There were 160+ Dragonflyers made, but only 18 Sunsets.

> Edward Dolan wrote:
> >
> > I stated in my previous post that I accepted your statement that there are univeristy professors
> > on arbr. So you have added some names along with that of Mr. Larrington who I do note uses
> > footnotes as idiotically as you do. So you are not alone in your use of footnotes, but you are
> > in a minority of a handful. You claim to be a writer. Why not prove it by constructing your
> > sentences so that all the pertinent information gets conveyed without the use of footnotes. It
> > is possible. I have done it all my life. There is a place for footnotes in certain types of
> > publications and arbr is not one of them. Who do you think 95% of your readers are? University
> > professors?
> >
> > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>
> I see nothing wrong with being in a minority of a handful - after all, recumbent riders are a
> minority within the minority of cyclists relative to the general population. [1] The majority is
> not always right.
>
> I find the clarity of sentences and paragraphs to be improved when information that relevant but
> not essential to understanding the meaning of a sentence and/or paragraph is relegated to a
> footnote. [2]
>
> Since alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent is a non-moderated Usenet group, we are free to post anything
> within the limits of free speech of the country we live in. In addition,
> alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent is not a publication.
>
> [1] Being in a minority of a handful can also be a good thing. I am one of the few (I am aware of
> only one other) Dragonflyer owners who also has a Sunset. [3]
> [2] These are also endnotes in the case of Usenet, which lacks page breaks.
> [3] There were 160+ Dragonflyers made, but only 18 Sunsets.

I see that it is your intention to drive me stark raving mad with your use of footnotes and endnotes
(nice touch that, an endnote on a footnote). As you say, they are not essential and since I find
them also not relevant there is no sense in reading them since they only serve to irritate and
annoy. Just be sure you are saying what you want to say in the body of your statement because I for
one am not going to bother with your infernal footnotes ever again.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Since alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent is a non-moderated Usenet group, we are free to post anything
> within the limits of free speech of the country we live in. In addition,
> alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent is not a publication.

You and I both are certainly free to post just about any kind of nonsense we want, and we do. What
did I ever say to you that would have you believe otherwise. You have set up a straw man again just
so you can knock him over. It is not what you post but how you post with your infernal use of
footnotes. No one else does it with a very few exceptions. That ought to tell you something. But it
isn't going to bother me in the future because I am not going to read your footnotes.

Your note about arbr being a list rather than a publication is a fine point, but is even more of a
reason for not using footnotes. But as usual you miss the main point almost always and get derailed
on details.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

University Professors? I am aware of 3 others who post here on a regular basis who are NOT on your
list of University Professors...2 of them are now retired and one still teaching, so I guess we're
up to 7 on a.r.b.r..counting Ed. And if UR taking a Poll....I don't mind Tom S. use of
endnotes/footnotes on this list and it is very rare to see T.S. or Legs Larry making spelling
mistakes. Some posts have so many misspelled words and words missing that one has to read the
message over and over to get an idea what the person is trying to communicate...and Yes I do this as
well (not so much the misspelled words part), but I am guilty of having a sentence with a word
missing. I read what I have done after it appears on the list and shudder because those missing
word(s) have messed up what I was trying to convey. Can be a real bugger trying to come across as
being coherent when one spells THE as TEH or has a word missing in every 3rd sentence. Plus my
misuse/abuse of CAPITALIZATION seems to drive a few here round the bleedin twist.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...

Edward Dolan wrote:

> I see that it is your intention to drive me stark raving mad with your use of footnotes and
> endnotes (nice touch that, an endnote on a footnote). As you say, they are not essential and since
> I find them also not relevant there is no sense in reading them since they only serve to irritate
> and annoy. Just be sure you are saying what you want to say in the body of your statement because
> I for one am not going to bother with your infernal footnotes ever again.

LOL :)

news:<[email protected]>...

Mr. Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> University Professors? I am aware of 3 others who post here on a regular basis who are NOT on your
> list of University Professors...2 of them are now retired and one still teaching, so I guess we're
> up to 7 on a.r.b.r..counting Ed. And if UR taking a Poll....I don't mind Tom S. use of
> endnotes/footnotes on this list and it is very rare to see T.S. or Legs Larry making spelling
> mistakes. Some posts have so many misspelled words and words missing that one has to read the
> message over and over to get an idea what the person is trying to communicate...and Yes I do this
> as well (not so much the misspelled words part), but I am guilty of having a sentence with a word
> missing. I read what I have done after it appears on the list and shudder because those missing
> word(s) have messed up what I was trying to convey. Can be a real bugger trying to come across as
> being coherent when one spells THE as TEH or has a word missing in every 3rd sentence. Plus my
> misuse/abuse of CAPITALIZATION seems to drive a few here round the bleedin twist.

Ms. Goldberg, I hear what you are saying loud and clear. I have spent the better part of my life
following trails of footnotes. If there are university professors , retired or otherwise, on
this newsgroup, then I am delighted. But I will bet you that they are not flagellating this
group of readers with footnotes. They are not necessary and it is nothing but an affectation. It
is something that only a wanna be professor would do. Mr. Sherman is intelligent enough and a
good enough writer to say what he wants to say without resorting to footnotes. And so are you
and 99% of the rest of the participants on this newsgroup.

By the way, a few misspelled words, whether due to typos or ignorance, is not a mortal sin and an
intelligent reader takes no notice of it. I think I would keep the capitalization to a minimum as
it's overuse defeats the purpose of it. UR for you are is not good either, but as long as I can read
you without resorting to special reference books I will be content. The main trick to avoiding
mistakes in our posts is to read them and reread them like an editor before sending them off.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota