Posting pics protocol?

98gtw

Guest
I've got a question about valve stems on some new tubes I bought (on ebay). It would make sense to
post a picture or a link to a picture to illustrate my question. It seems, as I look back on my
experience with this NG, that I don't recall seeing any pictures posted directly, only links to
sites with the pictures. Are there guidelines for picture posting (image size, etc.) posted
somewhere for all to see? Thanks, Dave

I've got a question about valve stems on some new tubes I bought (on ebay). It would make sense to
post a picture or a link to a picture to illustrate my question. It seems, as I look back on my
experience with this NG, that I don't recall seeing any pictures posted directly, only links to
sites with the pictures. Are there guidelines for picture posting (image size, etc.) posted
somewhere for all to see? Thanks, Dave

Binary files, including images, can only be posted to dedicated newsgroups (typically with
'binaries' in the name). This is in consideration of the storage requirements for large files on
privately owned newsservers.

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've got a question about valve stems on some new tubes I bought (on
ebay).
> It would make sense to post a picture or a link to a picture to illustrate my question. It seems,
> as I look back on my experience with this NG, that I don't
recall
> seeing any pictures posted directly, only links to sites with the
pictures.
> Are there guidelines for picture posting (image size, etc.) posted
somewhere
> for all to see? Thanks, Dave

"98GTW" skrev...
> I've got a question about valve stems on some new tubes I bought (on ebay). It would make sense to
> post a picture or a link to a picture to illustrate my question. It seems, as I look back on my
> experience with this NG, that I don't recall seeing any pictures posted directly, only links to
> sites with the pictures. Are there guidelines for picture posting (image size, etc.) posted
> somewhere for all to see?

Well this is a textgroup so even if your ISP let you post a pic, we wouldn't see it. Most people use
one of the free photopages out there. Like mine: http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (resolution
kinda sucks tho) I've seen better ones out there.

The IHPVA-site got somewhere you can post them too I think. ???

As for other guidelines I guess 800x600 for ordinary pics might be a nice upper limit. My 15 inch
monitor can go higher but I rarely do. If you're posting pics where detail is important you can
always go higher if your webpage/photopage has the space and allows it.

Hope this helps Mikael

Binary files, including images, can only be posted to dedicated newsgroups (typically with
'binaries' in the name). This is in consideration of the storage requirements for large files on
privately owned newsservers.

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've got a question about valve stems on some new tubes I bought (on
ebay).
> It would make sense to post a picture or a link to a picture to illustrate my question. It seems,
> as I look back on my experience with this NG, that I don't
recall
> seeing any pictures posted directly, only links to sites with the
pictures.
> Are there guidelines for picture posting (image size, etc.) posted
somewhere
> for all to see? Thanks, Dave

"98GTW" skrev...
> I've got a question about valve stems on some new tubes I bought (on ebay). It would make sense to
> post a picture or a link to a picture to illustrate my question. It seems, as I look back on my
> experience with this NG, that I don't recall seeing any pictures posted directly, only links to
> sites with the pictures. Are there guidelines for picture posting (image size, etc.) posted
> somewhere for all to see?

Well this is a textgroup so even if your ISP let you post a pic, we wouldn't see it. Most people use
one of the free photopages out there. Like mine: http://photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels (resolution
kinda sucks tho) I've seen better ones out there.

The IHPVA-site got somewhere you can post them too I think. ???

As for other guidelines I guess 800x600 for ordinary pics might be a nice upper limit. My 15 inch
monitor can go higher but I rarely do. If you're posting pics where detail is important you can
always go higher if your webpage/photopage has the space and allows it.

Hope this helps Mikael

Fair enough. How do I encode the link to a website when I create the message?

Here's the URL: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/

oh. It's that easy?

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Binary files, including images, can only be posted to dedicated newsgroups (typically with
> 'binaries' in the name). This is in consideration of the storage requirements for large files on
> privately owned newsservers.
>

> "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've got a question about valve stems on some new tubes I bought (on
> ebay).
> > It would make sense to post a picture or a link to a picture to
illustrate
> > my question. It seems, as I look back on my experience with this NG, that I don't
> recall
> > seeing any pictures posted directly, only links to sites with the
> pictures.
> > Are there guidelines for picture posting (image size, etc.) posted
> somewhere
> > for all to see? Thanks, Dave

Fair enough. How do I encode the link to a website when I create the message?

Here's the URL: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/

oh. It's that easy?

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Binary files, including images, can only be posted to dedicated newsgroups (typically with
> 'binaries' in the name). This is in consideration of the storage requirements for large files on
> privately owned newsservers.
>

> "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've got a question about valve stems on some new tubes I bought (on
> ebay).
> > It would make sense to post a picture or a link to a picture to
illustrate
> > my question. It seems, as I look back on my experience with this NG, that I don't
> recall
> > seeing any pictures posted directly, only links to sites with the
> pictures.
> > Are there guidelines for picture posting (image size, etc.) posted
> somewhere
> > for all to see? Thanks, Dave

"98GTW" skrev...
> Fair enough. How do I encode the link to a website when I create the message?
>
> Here's the URL: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/
>
> oh. It's that easy?

Well yes and no... I can use the link but it didn't display the pic.

M.

"98GTW" skrev...
> Fair enough. How do I encode the link to a website when I create the message?
>
> Here's the URL: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/
>
> oh. It's that easy?

Well yes and no... I can use the link but it didn't display the pic.

M.

> "98GTW" skrev...
> > Fair enough. How do I encode the link to a website when I create the message?
> >
> > Here's the URL: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/
> >
> > oh. It's that easy?
>
> Well yes and no... I can use the link but it didn't display the pic.

You could if you had access to his local drive. file:///E:/tmp/downloads/smooth%20presta.jpg

Dave, you need to load the file on the server that host your web page and reference that location
in your HTML

Something like: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/smooth%20presta.jpg

Us you valve anything like one of these? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_w.html#woods

- Bellaire, TX USA -

> "98GTW" skrev...
> > Fair enough. How do I encode the link to a website when I create the message?
> >
> > Here's the URL: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/
> >
> > oh. It's that easy?
>
> Well yes and no... I can use the link but it didn't display the pic.

You could if you had access to his local drive. file:///E:/tmp/downloads/smooth%20presta.jpg

Dave, you need to load the file on the server that host your web page and reference that location
in your HTML

Something like: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/smooth%20presta.jpg

Us you valve anything like one of these? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_w.html#woods

- Bellaire, TX USA -

I got the link working (or, to be more correct, I uploaded the jpeg and set the reference to
it properly.) And, no, it doesn't look quite like anything I've seen before, except in a
general way. Dave

"Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > "98GTW" skrev...
> > > Fair enough. How do I encode the link to a website when I create the message?
> > >
> > > Here's the URL: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/
> > >
> > > oh. It's that easy?
> >
> > Well yes and no... I can use the link but it didn't display the pic.
> >
> You could if you had access to his local drive. file:///E:/tmp/downloads/smooth%20presta.jpg
>
> Dave, you need to load the file on the server that host your web page and reference that location
> in your HTML
>
> Something like: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/smooth%20presta.jpg
>
> Us you valve anything like one of these? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_w.html#woods

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

I got the link working (or, to be more correct, I uploaded the jpeg and set the reference to
it properly.) And, no, it doesn't look quite like anything I've seen before, except in a
general way. Dave

"Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > "98GTW" skrev...
> > > Fair enough. How do I encode the link to a website when I create the message?
> > >
> > > Here's the URL: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/
> > >
> > > oh. It's that easy?
> >
> > Well yes and no... I can use the link but it didn't display the pic.
> >
> You could if you had access to his local drive. file:///E:/tmp/downloads/smooth%20presta.jpg
>
> Dave, you need to load the file on the server that host your web page and reference that location
> in your HTML
>
> Something like: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/smooth%20presta.jpg
>
> Us you valve anything like one of these? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_w.html#woods

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

It looks as though Dave's valve is one designed for aero rims - hence the long stem and lack of
threading for a locknut. It will work quite happily with a normal rim, but take extra care when
inflating the tyre...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

It looks as though Dave's valve is one designed for aero rims - hence the long stem and lack of
threading for a locknut. It will work quite happily with a normal rim, but take extra care when
inflating the tyre...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Worked OK for me first time.

<Chas>

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I got the link working (or, to be more correct, I uploaded the jpeg and
set
> the reference to it properly.) And, no, it doesn't look quite like anything I've seen before,
> except in a general way. Dave
>
> "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "98GTW" skrev...

> > > Well yes and no... I can use the link but it didn't display the pic.
> > >
> > You could if you had access to his local drive. file:///E:/tmp/downloads/smooth%20presta.jpg
> >
> > Dave, you need to load the file on the server that host your web page
and
> > reference that location in your HTML
> >
> > Something like: http://www.netacc.net/~helarson/smooth%20presta.jpg
> >
> > Us you valve anything like one of these? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_w.html#woods