Posture advancements.

Tetsuo Shima

Guest
Not sure if it's anything to do with the adjustments, but I
did a 3 mile ride last night, (crappy I know.) But the
thing was this morning I had some really bad back pain
lower down, it seemed very localised to a single area of
the spine. Anything to do with the setup, or just a body
that's getting too old?

Oh, btw, i'm only 29!

Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> Not sure if it's anything to do with the adjustments, but
> I did a 3 mile ride last night, (crappy I know.) But the
> thing was this morning I had some really bad back pain
> lower down, it seemed very localised to a single area of
> the spine. Anything to do with the setup, or just a body
> that's getting too old?
>
> Oh, btw, i'm only 29!

Raising the saddle too high can cause lower back pain. One
trick to get in the ballpark is to raise the saddle until
the hipbones start moving up and down and then lower it
slowly until they stop. That's the highest you should have.
Mine is maybe 5mm below that point on all my bikes.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> > Not sure if it's anything to do with the adjustments,
> > but I did a 3 mile ride last night, (crappy I know.) But
> > the thing was this morning I had some really bad back
> > pain lower down, it seemed very localised to a single
> > area of the spine. Anything to do with the setup, or
> > just a body that's getting too old?
> >
> > Oh, btw, i'm only 29!
>
> Raising the saddle too high can cause lower back pain. One
> trick to get in the ballpark is to raise the saddle until
> the hipbones start moving up and down and then lower it
> slowly until they stop. That's the highest you should
> have. Mine is maybe 5mm below that point on all my bikes.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Same for me, but unfortunately i've had a lot of back
problems, i'm just trying not to let it stop me. Must have
been all that lugging flour around in the bakery.

"Tetsuo Shima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not sure if it's anything to do with the adjustments, but
> I did a 3 mile ride last night, (crappy I know.) But the
> thing was this morning I had
some
> really bad back pain lower down, it seemed very localised
> to a single area of the spine. Anything to do with the
> setup, or just a body that's
getting
> too old?
>
> Oh, btw, i'm only 29!

When you ride, do you attempt to arch your back ( pull your
shoulders back so that you open up your ribs more for
breathing), or the opposite, to tighten your stomach
muscles and bend your back forward---essentially trying to
stabilize the power your legs are generating with your
abdominal muscles?

I don't recall reading anything specific about this, but
I've tried both, and back soreness can result from pulling
your shoulders backward...I think this gets amplified in
guys with big guts hanging over their belt, as their back is
even weaker due to the lesser abdominal support available to
back muscles with this type of fitness ( lack of).

In Pilates, a basic movement from lying down on your back,
is to first pull your chin and neck up, trying to look at
your belly button, and then beginning to create a cup with
your stomach muscles, pulling your ribs up with a crunch
type contraction that originates at the waist to the
ribs...and then from their you continue to sit up and touch
your toes. This concentrates on the stabilizing muscles that
get weak in many people. You can tighten these same muscles
when riding, and try to keep your back protected by this
curling of the ab muscles, stabilizing the leg power---at
least, it seems very effective for me. At the same time, you
can concentrate on all the muscle exertion going on just
coming from your legs, with your arms and hands pretty much
relaxed--this will help you prevent numb hands and wasting
oxygen on muscles that you don't need to be engaging. More
importantly, this should protect your back.

Dan V

Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> Not sure if it's anything to do with the adjustments, but
> I did a 3 mile ride last night, (crappy I know.) But the
> thing was this morning I had some really bad back pain
> lower down, it seemed very localised to a single area of
> the spine. Anything to do with the setup, or just a body
> that's getting too old?
>
> Oh, btw, i'm only 29!

On second thought. A three mile ride is to short to hurt you
in any way. It must be something else screwing your back up.

--
Perre

RE/
> Anything to do with the setup, or just a body that's
> getting too old?

Small changes in setup can have big impacts on your bod.

But what I would wonder about is why it hurts today and
didn't hurt the last 20 times you rode. i.e. What changed?
OTOH, maybe your just starting up again after a long
layoff....

Guy at the LBS just messed up his back landing a drop the
wrong way. I've had mine hurt after riding my hardtail and
having a few bumps sneak up on me (i.e. taking the force
through my butt instead of with my legs).

--
PeteCresswell

> When you ride, do you attempt to arch your back ( pull
> your shoulders back so that you open up your ribs more for
> breathing), or the opposite, to tighten your stomach
> muscles and bend your back forward---essentially
trying
> to stabilize the power your legs are generating with your
> abdominal
muscles?

> I don't recall reading anything specific about this, but
> I've tried both, and back soreness can result from pulling
> your shoulders backward...I
think
> this gets amplified in guys with big guts hanging over
> their belt, as
their
> back is even weaker due to the lesser abdominal support
> available to back muscles with this type of fitness (
> lack of).
>
> In Pilates, a basic movement from lying down on your back,
> is to first
pull
> your chin and neck up, trying to look at your belly
> button, and then beginning to create a cup with your
> stomach muscles, pulling your ribs up with a crunch type
> contraction that originates at the waist to the
> ribs...and then from their you continue to sit up and
> touch your toes.
This
> concentrates on the stabilizing muscles that get weak in
> many people. You can tighten these same muscles when
> riding, and try to keep your back protected by this
> curling of the ab muscles, stabilizing the leg
power---at
> least, it seems very effective for me. At the same
> time, you can
concentrate
> on all the muscle exertion going on just coming from your
> legs, with your arms and hands pretty much relaxed--this
> will help you prevent numb hands and wasting oxygen on
> muscles that you don't need to be engaging. More
> importantly, this should protect your back.
>
> Dan V

That's the best bit of advice i've ever got. Thanks Dan. :)

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:W%[email protected]...
> Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> > Not sure if it's anything to do with the adjustments,
> > but I did a 3 mile ride last night, (crappy I know.) But
> > the thing was this morning I had some really bad back
> > pain lower down, it seemed very localised to a single
> > area of the spine. Anything to do with the setup, or
> > just a body that's getting too old?
> >
> > Oh, btw, i'm only 29!
>
> On second thought. A three mile ride is to short to hurt
> you in any way.
It
> must be something else screwing your back up.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

I'm just not keen on having a blood test, probably get told
i'm on my last legs. *sigh*

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> > Anything to do with the setup, or just a body that's
> > getting too old?
>
> Small changes in setup can have big impacts on your bod.
>
> But what I would wonder about is why it hurts today and
> didn't hurt the
last 20
> times you rode. i.e. What changed? OTOH, maybe your just
> starting up
again
> after a long layoff....
>
> Guy at the LBS just messed up his back landing a drop the
> wrong way. I've
had
> mine hurt after riding my hardtail and having a few bumps
> sneak up on me
(i.e.
> taking the force through my butt instead of with my legs).
>
> --
> PeteCresswell

I'll put it this way. From the age of 16 i've been working
in a bakery and for 13 years after. When I first started I
was never given any proper training on lifting and after
taking a long while to realise what i'd done wrong and many
32kg bags of flour later, i've got one knackered back. If I
am confirmed as having arthritis, I could be in for more
hard times yet.

"Tetsuo Shima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > RE/
> > > Anything to do with the setup, or just a body that's
> > > getting too old?
> >
> > Small changes in setup can have big impacts on your bod.
> >
> > But what I would wonder about is why it hurts today and
> > didn't hurt the
> last 20
> > times you rode. i.e. What changed? OTOH, maybe your just
> > starting up
> again
> > after a long layoff....
> >
> > Guy at the LBS just messed up his back landing a drop
> > the wrong way.
I've
> had
> > mine hurt after riding my hardtail and having a few
> > bumps sneak up on me
> (i.e.
> > taking the force through my butt instead of with my
> > legs).
> >
> > --
> > PeteCresswell
>
> I'll put it this way. From the age of 16 i've been working
> in a bakery
and
> for 13 years after. When I first started I was never given
> any proper training on lifting and after taking a long
> while to realise what i'd done wrong and many 32kg bags of
> flour later, i've got one knackered back. If
> am confirmed as having arthritis, I could be in for more
> hard times yet.

From a neuromuscular and postural perspective, any time you
bend over to pick something up, or lift something over your
head, you should be sucking your gut in hard during this.
Its somewhat natural for a kid who's fit. But if you take a
30 year old who is fat, I'd bet 9 times out of ten they do
not suck their gut in anymore when they bend over to pick
something up--some of them can't really suck their gut
in....this will hurt their back. Get into Pilates right away---
even if you can't get in a class, get a video at the local
health food store, and start learning about what muscles
should be engaging. Also, do every thing slow--don't let the
video rush you through the moves and stretches. Dan V

Dan Volker wrote: Bunch of probably good advice for the right person
Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> That's the best bit of advice i've ever got. Thanks Dan.
> :)

You sure seem eager to listen to anybody that opens his
mouth, at the same time implying that you probably/possibly
have a severe medical condition with your back. You can't
resolve matters like that on the internet. Go see your damn
doctor and have it out with him. The only thing we're good
for is helping you make sure it's not your bike causing
this. The rest is way beyond our heads.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Volker wrote: Bunch of probably good advice for the
> right person Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> > That's the best bit of advice i've ever got. Thanks
> > Dan. :)
>
> You sure seem eager to listen to anybody that opens his
> mouth, at the same time implying that you
> probably/possibly have a severe medical condition with
> your back. You can't resolve matters like that on the
> internet. Go
see
> your damn doctor and have it out with him. The only thing
> we're good for is helping you make sure it's not your bike
> causing this. The rest is way beyond our heads.
>
> --
> Perre

Perre, I could not agree more. I'm no Doctor, and I have no
idea what special problems Tetsuo may have.

I would suggest a top Neuromuscular therapist, as a 2nd
opinion to anything an Orthopedic surgeon would have to say--
since the latter tend to be cutting happy, they rarely
understand muscle/soft tissue problems, and often like to
shorten a leg bone, when muscle imbalances cause the length
discrepancy in the first place. I can't tell you how many
athletes I know that have had surgeons insist on fusing back
vertebrae, only to be handicapped by this stupidity the rest
of their lives---when they could have had neuromuscular work
that would have totally corrected the problem. Still, some
orthopedic guys ARE really good, and these guys try all good
alternatives first. And if you want MRI's or X-rays to
detect hidden problems, you get this through the doc, not
through the therapist. The best one I know of in the
Southeastern US is Dennis Price. I have no idea where Tetsuo
is, but he could call Dennis and ask for a referral to a
good neuromuscular practitioner in his area...Dennis is at
(954) 629-6617 .

My advice works for me and people like me. That could mean
everything or nothing to Tetsuo.

Dan V

> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dan Volker wrote: Bunch of probably good advice for the
> right person Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> > That's the best bit of advice i've ever got. Thanks
> > Dan. :)
>
> You sure seem eager to listen to anybody that opens his
> mouth, at the same time implying that you
> probably/possibly have a severe medical condition with
> your back. You can't resolve matters like that on the
> internet. Go
see
> your damn doctor and have it out with him. The only thing
> we're good for is helping you make sure it's not your bike
> causing this. The rest is way beyond our heads.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Looks like it IS the Doc's then. *sigh*

Tetsuo Shima wrote:
> "Per Elms=E4ter"=20
>>
>>see your damn doctor and have it out with him. The only
>>thing we're good for is helping you make sure it's not
>>your bi=
ke
>>causing this. The rest is way beyond our heads.
>>
>>--
>>Perre
>>

>=20
> Looks like it IS the Doc's then. *sigh*
>=20 20
Hey, look on the bright side: you can get your prostrate
checked while=20 you're there.

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> Tetsuo Shima wrote:

>> Looks like it IS the Doc's then. *sigh*
>>

> Hey, look on the bright side: you can get your prostrate
> checked while you're there.

Nice one, Sipowitz.

Bill "prostrate more for chiropractors" S.

S o r n i wrote:

> Slacker wrote:
>
>>Tetsuo Shima wrote:
>

>>>Looks like it IS the Doc's then. *sigh*
>>>

>>Hey, look on the bright side: you can get your prostrate
>>checked while you're there.
>

> Nice one, Sipowitz.
>
> Bill "prostrate more for chiropractors" S.

lol .... sheesh, I always get those words mixed up.

Ok, so maybe his doc will have him prostrate in order to
check out his prostate.
--
Slacker