Posture - Road Bike

timburgan

Jun 26, 2004
Hello,

I'm wondering what the correct posture is while riding a road bike?

My neck and back currently get sore even on short rides. I must say - I haven't been on a bike for over 5 years, so I'm just getting back into it.

I assume that:
1) My muscle will develop again in these areas the more I ride.
2) There must be a correct posture technique to follow that I don't know of..

Thanks

Originally posted by timburgan
Hello,

My neck and back currently get sore even on short rides. I must say - I haven't been on a bike for over 5 years, so I'm just getting back into it.

I assume that:

Thanks

I am by no means an expert. I had the same problem until someone gave me some form tips. I'm not sure if they are actually correct but they worked for me and my neck and back no longer get sore.

Just rest your hands on the handle bars for balance...keep most of your weight on your legs and push your, you know what as far back as you can on the seat.....your body should be in line with the road...............tighten your stomach muscles and do not grip the handle bars tightly........... elbows bent......just sit your hands on them and concentrate on relaxing your neck and shoulders...keeping space between you head and shoulders......

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by timburgan
Hello,

I assume that:

Thanks

Main thing I'd check on your bike is that the drop from saddle to handlebars isn't more than an inch or two.

Agree it takes time to get used to a road bike position, and that some soreness is normal for your first few rides. Just relax on the bike, be patient and allow your muscles to adapt.