Pot holes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I've been having a lot of problems with pot holes recently. They live in the grass verges alongside
    smooth country roads and leap out and plant themselves just in front of me as I cycle by!

    The trouble is that some of the blighters are pretty big - large adult ones can grow to a depth of 2
    inches or more. Obviously I try to avoid them but they're both widespread and persistant so every so
    often one of them will get me.

    I hit two big ones today and was wondering whether they can actually do any damage to a bike. I've
    heard a lot about aluminium bikes and cracking and although I realise that bikes are built to take
    knocks I was wondering how they might stand up to a concerted pot hole attack - I think they hunt
    co-operatively in herds trying to bring down large aluminium bikes to feed on.

    Any thoughts (or suggestions for medication) would be gratefully received.

    Paul.

    Tags:

  2. People like Transport 2000 whinge when money gets spent on roads, as they seem to think roads are
    only used by motor vehicles. </cynism

  3. "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote: ( People like Transport 2000 whinge
    when money gets spent on roads, as they ) seem to think roads are only used by motor vehicles.
    ( </cynism>

    I cannot say I have ever noticed Transport 2000 objecting to money being spent on maintaining paved
    roads, but then I am unobservant; or perhaps Transport 2000 is not people like Transport 2000.

  4. hmmm, no answers on the damage to frames issue....but could you get together with your local cycling
    club and apply for a permit to hunt the potholes? I know fox-hunting is the subject of great debate,
    but surely rounding up the potholes with your bikes and herding them to a safer place (like in a
    cave for the pot-holers to play with!!) could be seen as kindness??

    As for medication for you.....can't see a need for it....but maybe that's 'cos I'm mad too :))

    Cheers, Hedgehog

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've been having a lot of problems with pot holes recently. They live in
    the
    > grass verges alongside smooth country roads and leap out and plant themselves just in front of me
    > as I cycle by!
    >
    > The trouble is that some of the blighters are pretty big - large adult
    ones
    > can grow to a depth of 2 inches or more. Obviously I try to avoid them but they're both widespread
    > and persistant so every so often one of them will get me.
    >
    > I hit two big ones today and was wondering whether they can actually do
    any
    > damage to a bike. I've heard a lot about aluminium bikes and cracking and although I realise that
    > bikes are built to take knocks I was wondering
    how
    > they might stand up to a concerted pot hole attack - I think they hunt co-operatively in herds
    > trying to bring down large aluminium bikes to feed on.
    >
    > Any thoughts (or suggestions for medication) would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Paul.

  5. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Following on from Hedgehog & Markarina's message. . .
    >hmmm, no answers on the damage to frames issue....but could you get together with your local
    >cycling club and apply for a permit to hunt the potholes? I know fox-hunting is the subject of
    >great debate, but surely rounding up the potholes with your bikes and herding them to a safer place
    >(like in a cave for the pot-holers to play with!!) could be seen as kindness??
    >
    >As for medication for you.....can't see a need for it....but maybe that's 'cos I'm mad too :))
    >
    >Cheers, Hedgehog
    >
    >"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I've been having a lot of problems with pot holes recently. They live in
    >the
    >> grass verges alongside smooth country roads and leap out and plant themselves just in front of me
    >> as I cycle by!
    >>
    >> The trouble is that some of the blighters are pretty big - large adult
    >ones
    >> can grow to a depth of 2 inches or more. Obviously I try to avoid them but they're both
    >> widespread and persistant so every so often one of them will get me.

    They are a protected species. If you report one to the council they put a line round it and leave it
    for months until all the baby pots have left the hole.

    report 8 potholes this month!) When I was reporting a whole stretch of road as in urgent need of
    attention. "I can only deal with individual potholes not general road condition." - It appears that
    the anti-tar sports lobby have frightened the Council off all breeding colonies.

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the bra business went bust

  6. Peter Fox <[email protected]> writes:

    > They are a protected species. If you report one to the council they put a line round it and leave
    > it for months until all the baby pots have left the hole.

    Some reports indicate that the councils (in general, I don't know

    wheel on the pothole and happen to mention that you'll be going back the following day to take
    photographs for evidence.

    -dan

    --

    http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Daniel Barlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Some reports indicate that the councils (in general, I don't know

    > wheel on the pothole and happen to mention that you'll be going back the following day to take
    > photographs for evidence.

    Many councils have now outsourced fixing roads. Here we phone 'Clarance' -- which is a WS Atkins
    call centre somewhere in outer darkness. Nothing happens.

    If you ask your Borough Councillor they tell you its a County problem and they phone Clarence --
    nothing happens.

    If you ask you County Councillor they say its outsourced to Atkins. They phone Clarence &
    nothing happens.

    If voting made any difference they would have abolished it.

    :(