Potato Lefse time

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by pamjd, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. pamjd

    pamjd Guest

    How do you like your lefsa?
    I like meatballs rolled in mine.

    Lefse Recipe

    7 cups water
    1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
    2 sticks margarine or butter (1/2 pound)
    5 tablespoons sugar
    1-1/2 tablespoons salt

    Heat and stir this to a boil. Remove mixture from heat and stir in:

    5 cups potato pearls or buds
    1 tablespoon baking powder (mixed into potato pearls)

    Put in bowl and cover with plastic wrap (right down on the
    potatoes). Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.

    Divide dough in half. Add 2 cups of flour to each half. This should
    be kneaded into the mixture with 2 table knives (like pie crust). Let
    dough rest for 10 minutes. Form into golf ball-sized portions. Keep
    them cold until they are rolled out. Roll out on floured lefse board
    and bake on lefse grill. Put baked rounds in lefse cozy.

    Potato Lefse

    2-2/3 cups water
    2/3 cup milk
    6 tablespoons margarine
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2-2/3 cups Potato Buds
    2 cups flour

    Heat first five ingredients to boiling. Add the Potato Buds and mix
    until moistened. Let stand a couple of minutes and then mix until
    smooth. Cover and chill overnight. Add flour. Dough will be soft. Form
    into small balls. Work a little more flour into each ball as you roll.
    Cook on lefse griddle until browned on both sides.

    Tags:

  2. On 9 Dec 2005 18:33:50 -0800, "pamjd" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How do you like your lefsa?

    Heated, buttered, cinnamon/sugared, rolled, devoured.

    > I like meatballs rolled in mine.

    Don't they have a tendency to escape?

    (Did you catch the mustard thread? We need that fantatic German spicy
    mustard recipe of yours!)

    Huggles,
    Carol
    --

    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

  3. Tara

    Tara Guest

    On 9 Dec 2005 18:33:50 -0800, "pamjd" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How do you like your lefsa?

    I haven't had lefse in years -- more than twenty-five years, I would
    guess. My grandmother on my dad's side is of German ancestry. She
    used to make lefse. I don't remember it being my favorite. I always
    remember her most delicious fudge, candies, Pfefferneuse cookies, all
    kinds of treats. She made some fudge for a New Years family reunion
    of that side of the family a couple of years ago. I was going on and
    on about her candy skills, and she and everyone else kept saying, "And
    lefse! Remember how we would all eat the lefse!" It was so important
    to everyone else. I do remember we would butter and sugar it and roll
    it up. My dad is from North Dakota and my mom is from Georgia. My
    brother and I were the strange southern kids at the North Dakota get
    togethers. Maybe my palate just didn't appreciate lefse at the time.
    I should try it again. Next time I see her, maybe she can show me how
    it's made.

    Tara
    My uncle also makes ludefisk, but that is another story and everyone
    in the family disowns him everytime he brings it around.

  4. On 9 Dec 2005 18:33:50 -0800, "pamjd" <[email protected]> rummaged
    among random neurons and opined:

    >How do you like your lefsa?
    >I like meatballs rolled in mine.

    Here's my recipe for lefse which is similar. I made this as part of a
    meal a few years ago where two of my guests were Scots. He took one
    look and exclaimed, "Tattie scones!":

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Lefse

    breads

    5 cups potatoes; peeled
    1/2 cup light cream
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup butter; melted
    2 3/4 cups flour

    Cook potatoes until done; drain, put through ricer and cool
    completely. Mix cream, salt and melted butter in bowl. Alternately add
    the potatoes and the flour, mixing well with hands, adding more flour
    if the mixture is too moist. Divide dough in half and make two long
    rolls. Place in refrigerator for 30 mins. The dough rolls better if
    kept chilled.

    Preheat griddle to 410F. Slice off 1" or 2" pieces of dough. Roll into
    thin rounds on floured board. Do not over-flour the rounds or handle
    too much when rolling or lefse will be tough. Bake until little brown
    spots appear on the surface; turn and bake on other side.

    Baked rounds should be placed on a towel and covered to prevent
    drying. (I also had success by putting them in a Corningware square
    casserole and putting a sheet of waxed paper between each round.)

    Store in tight containers in cool place or refrigerator.

    Contributor: Minnesota Heritage Cookbook

    Yield: 16 servings

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines