Potato lovers have higher diabetes risk...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ken Kubos, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. Ken Kubos

    Ken Kubos Guest

    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...45Z_01_HAR363207_RTRUKOC_0_US-POTATO-RISK.xml

    Atkins told us so....

    Potato lovers have higher diabetes risk
    Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:33 PM ET

    By Amy Norton

    NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Holding that side of fries might help thwart
    type 2 diabetes, new research suggests.

    In a long-term study of nearly 85,000 U.S. women, researchers at Harvard
    University found that those with the highest potato intake had a modestly
    elevated risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

    The link was strongest among obese women, who are already at increased risk
    of the disease, suggesting that heavy potato consumption may pose a
    particular problem for them, the researchers point out.

    The findings are published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

    Though potatoes have healthful attributes, they also have a high glycemic
    index (GI) -- meaning they cause a rapid, strong rise in blood sugar. Over
    time, these surges may damage the pancreatic cells that produce the hormone
    insulin, which is needed to metabolize blood sugar.

    Overweight or sedentary adults may be particularly vulnerable to the effects
    of high-GI foods because they often have underlying insulin resistance -- a
    precursor to diabetes in which body cells lose their sensitivity to insulin.

    So it would make sense for these individuals to lay off the french fries,
    Thomas L. Halton, the lead author of the new study, told Reuters Health.

    He and his colleagues found that women with the highest potato intake were
    14 percent more likely than those with the lowest intake to develop diabetes
    over 20 years. And women who ate the most french fries, specifically, had a
    21 percent greater risk of diabetes than those who ate the fewest.

    Overall diet and other lifestyle habits did not explain the link, and
    potatoes seemed to be more problematic when a woman ate them instead of
    whole grains.

    Whole grains -- as well as many high-fiber vegetables, fruits and legumes --
    have a lower GI than potatoes and white-flour products. So eating those
    foods in place of potatoes, Halton's team concludes, could potentially cut
    diabetes risk.

    SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, February 2006.

    --

    Ken

    "Buddhism elucidates why we are sentient."
    "Karma means that you don't get away with anything."

    Tags:

  2. Ken Kubos wrote:
    > http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...45Z_01_HAR363207_RTRUKOC_0_US-POTATO-RISK.xml
    >
    > Atkins told us so....
    >
    > Potato lovers have higher diabetes risk
    > Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:33 PM ET
    >
    > By Amy Norton
    >
    > NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Holding that side of fries might help thwart
    > type 2 diabetes, new research suggests.
    >
    > In a long-term study of nearly 85,000 U.S. women, researchers at Harvard
    > University found that those with the highest potato intake had a modestly
    > elevated risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
    >
    > The link was strongest among obese women, who are already at increased risk
    > of the disease, suggesting that heavy potato consumption may pose a
    > particular problem for them, the researchers point out.
    >
    > The findings are published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
    >
    > Though potatoes have healthful attributes, they also have a high glycemic
    > index (GI) -- meaning they cause a rapid, strong rise in blood sugar. Over
    > time, these surges may damage the pancreatic cells that produce the hormone
    > insulin, which is needed to metabolize blood sugar.
    >
    > Overweight or sedentary adults may be particularly vulnerable to the effects
    > of high-GI foods because they often have underlying insulin resistance -- a
    > precursor to diabetes in which body cells lose their sensitivity to insulin.
    >
    > So it would make sense for these individuals to lay off the french fries,
    > Thomas L. Halton, the lead author of the new study, told Reuters Health.
    >
    > He and his colleagues found that women with the highest potato intake were
    > 14 percent more likely than those with the lowest intake to develop diabetes
    > over 20 years. And women who ate the most french fries, specifically, had a
    > 21 percent greater risk of diabetes than those who ate the fewest.
    >
    > Overall diet and other lifestyle habits did not explain the link, and
    > potatoes seemed to be more problematic when a woman ate them instead of
    > whole grains.
    >
    > Whole grains -- as well as many high-fiber vegetables, fruits and legumes --
    > have a lower GI than potatoes and white-flour products. So eating those
    > foods in place of potatoes, Halton's team concludes, could potentially cut
    > diabetes risk.
    >
    > SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, February 2006.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "Buddhism elucidates why we are sentient."
    > "Karma means that you don't get away with anything."

    Ain't this grand? The $400Mil, 8 year study that everyone in the
    established medical community thought would prove the benefits of low
    fat continues to surprise everyone. First it showed no corelation
    between substantially reducing fat intake and either heart disease or
    cancer. Next we found out that women taking calcium supplements to
    ward off osteoporosis had the same rate of bone problems as those that
    did not, but they did have 15% more kidney stone problems. Now, we
    find out that those eating more potatoes, a favorite staple of those
    believing low fat is the way to go, had a 15% higher incidence of
    diabetes.