Potato oxidization

Erica

Guest
Hi,

Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
oxidize? Thanks!

--Erica

"Erica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
> oxidize? Thanks!
>
> --Erica

Several hours if that are rinsed of the surface starch and then kept in lightly acidulated water.

Dimitri

[email protected] (Erica) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
> oxidize? Thanks!
>
> --Erica

About 20 minutes if the water is salted, then they turn grayish but are still good for latkes.

Biff

[email protected] (Biff) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> [email protected] (Erica) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
>> oxidize? Thanks!
>>
>> --Erica
>
> About 20 minutes if the water is salted, then they turn grayish but are still good for latkes.
>
> Biff

If you add some fresh lemon juice, the keeping time is greatly extended.

Wayne

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:04:08 GMT, "Dimiri" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Erica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
>> oxidize? Thanks!
>>
>> --Erica
>
>Several hours if that are rinsed of the surface starch and then kept in lightly acidulated water.

By which Dimitri means to toss in a bit of lemon juice or some such. :)

--
Siobhan Perricone "Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human
physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> If you add some fresh lemon juice, the keeping time is greatly extended.

...because polyphenol oxidase is inhibited at low pH.

-j.

June Oshiro <[email protected]> wrote in news:bsdl30$bsjnf$1@ID-
162643.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> If you add some fresh lemon juice, the keeping time is greatly extended.
>
> ...because polyphenol oxidase is inhibited at low pH.
>
> -j.

June, you know much more about the chemical action than I do. I just know it works. <G> My mom and
grandmother always did it...potatoes, turnips, apples, peaches, etc. If I don't have a lemon on
hand, I use Fruit-Fresh®, even on the vegetables.

Wayne