Potato oxidization

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Erica, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. Erica

    Erica Guest

    Hi,

    Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
    oxidize? Thanks!

    --Erica

    Tags:

  2. Dimiri

    Dimiri Guest

    "Erica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
    > oxidize? Thanks!
    >
    > --Erica

    Several hours if that are rinsed of the surface starch and then kept in lightly acidulated water.

    Dimitri

  3. Biff

    Biff Guest

    [email protected] (Erica) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
    > oxidize? Thanks!
    >
    > --Erica

    About 20 minutes if the water is salted, then they turn grayish but are still good for latkes.

    Biff

  4. [email protected] (Biff) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > [email protected] (Erica) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
    >> oxidize? Thanks!
    >>
    >> --Erica
    >
    > About 20 minutes if the water is salted, then they turn grayish but are still good for latkes.
    >
    > Biff

    If you add some fresh lemon juice, the keeping time is greatly extended.

    Wayne

  5. On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:04:08 GMT, "Dimiri" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Erica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold water before they start to
    >> oxidize? Thanks!
    >>
    >> --Erica
    >
    >Several hours if that are rinsed of the surface starch and then kept in lightly acidulated water.

    By which Dimitri means to toss in a bit of lemon juice or some such. :)

    --
    Siobhan Perricone "Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human
    physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"

  6. June Oshiro

    June Oshiro Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > If you add some fresh lemon juice, the keeping time is greatly extended.

    ...because polyphenol oxidase is inhibited at low pH.

    -j.

  7. June Oshiro <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    162643.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> If you add some fresh lemon juice, the keeping time is greatly extended.
    >
    > ...because polyphenol oxidase is inhibited at low pH.
    >
    > -j.

    June, you know much more about the chemical action than I do. I just know it works. <G> My mom and
    grandmother always did it...potatoes, turnips, apples, peaches, etc. If I don't have a lemon on
    hand, I use Fruit-Fresh®, even on the vegetables.

    Wayne