potato salad done!

On 24 Dec 2005 09:19:24 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]>
replied:
> The Ranger wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:45:01 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > <[email protected]> replied:
> > [snip]
> > > Always with mayo!
> > >

> > Good potato salad is always with Miracle Whip, you peasant!
> > <G>

>Actually good potato salad is always with hot bacon fat.

That's a different style of potato salad and not always
appreciated by the majority because it uses bacon fat.

The Ranger

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:33:01 -0500, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> replied:
> "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote
> > On 24 Dec 2005 09:19:24 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> replied:
> > > Actually good potato salad is always with hot bacon fat.
> > >

> > That's a different style of potato salad and not always
> > appreciated by the majority because it uses bacon fat.
> >

> Yeah, you know most people just hate bacon fat!

In my Clan, no, the members don't "hate" it but most can't have it
any longer... Many are on restricted diets due to too much
consumption of pig and all the extra calories followed by an
almost genetically-programmed dislike of physical exertion.

> Me, I do not like hot potato salad, especially that
> heavy-on-the-vinegar stuff.

Hmm. Maybe cut back on the vinegar or use apple cider instead?

The Ranger

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:32:41 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> replied:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:32:12 -0800, The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I always suspected that you were a little disturbed!

> > "Suspected?!" Dang, madam! What'll I gotta do to erase any doubt?
> >

> Dance naked on a table top at your favorite Chinese restaurant.
> With pictures.

I said disturbed, not mentally deficient. My type know the law and
just how far we can push it. Performing such art in public would
give me an opportunity at sampling county (or city) hospitality
that I'd like to defer to more suitable clientele. (Besides, would
you _really_ wanna see such an act? Ew!)

> > > Merry Christmas!
> > >

> > And a bah-humbug to you too. <G>
> >

> Nothing but coal and switches for you this year, young man!

A'right! No more shopping! No more caring! If I knew it was so
easy I'd've done this ages ago!

> > > Carol, who grew up on MW and much prefers mayo
> > >

> > And y'all're callin' ME disturbed?
> >

> I most certainly am. Miracle Whip is nasty in my NSHO.

It's the nectar of the Gahds and Gahdesses! Helman's, OTOH, is
what Hades uses for new admittees.

> > "May you be seated at an all-you-can-eat buffet where sandwiches
> > of JIF peanut butter and Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread are the only
> > item being served and where Musak is piped in at Blue Oyster Cult
> > levels with the mantra of "I love Miracle Whip" to the "Jingle
> > Bell Rock" tune being played..."
> >

> You *want* me to commit suicide, don't you? ;-)

Not at all. Just showing you the levels of despair I'm willing to
see visited on mayo-preachin' thumpers.

> MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thank you. Right back atchya, Lady!

The Ranger

Nancy Young wrote:
> "The Ranger" wrote
> > "Sheldon" writes:

> >>Actually good potato salad is always with hot bacon fat.

> > That's a different style of potato salad and not always
> > appreciated by the majority because it uses bacon fat.

> Yeah, you know most people just hate bacon fat!

Right, mayo gloped on so thick you can't see the potatoes is ever so
much more healthful.

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:33:01 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> <[email protected]> replied:

>> > That's a different style of potato salad and not always
>> > appreciated by the majority because it uses bacon fat.
>> >

>> Yeah, you know most people just hate bacon fat!

> In my Clan, no, the members don't "hate" it but most can't have it
> any longer... Many are on restricted diets due to too much
> consumption of pig and all the extra calories followed by an
> almost genetically-programmed dislike of physical exertion.

Yeah, I think most people should lay off the bacon fat but I'd
sure appreciate just about anything made with it!

>> Me, I do not like hot potato salad, especially that
>> heavy-on-the-vinegar stuff.

> Hmm. Maybe cut back on the vinegar or use apple cider instead?

I just like regular potato salad, the mayo (not miracle whip ya freak)
egg, relish, etc. type. Actually make it very rarely, I don't know why.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>>My family customs for Christmas are my father *****ing about everything
>>being closed and maybe seeing a movie :)

> But I thought that's what Jewish people did on Christmas, get
> Chinese food (pork is okay on christmas, it's a kosher exception
> day) and go to the movies, no?
>
> nancy

That *is* what Jewish people do on Christmas :)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:08:23 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Do you serve potato salad for christmas? Is that a family custom? Very
>>unusual. I like Hellmanns though! LOL

> I'm not serving it for Christmas. It would go wierd under the turkey
> gravy. ;-) But I'm making a big batch sometime next week. A belated
> Christmas gift to Crash. He says my potato salad is just like his
> mom's. One difference. I don't mix mine with my hands. We are in
> custody of his mom's big yellow Pyrex potato salad bowl. *smile*
>
> Always with mayo!
>
> Carol

LOL, yeah.. I just thought it was unusual to have picnic type food for
christmas, so I wondered if this was one of those family quirks that
gets passed on down generations?
And AMEN on the mayo, Hellmanns please!! LOL

On 24 Dec 2005 10:12:34 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]>
replied:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > > >
> > > That's a different style of potato salad and not always
> > > appreciated by the majority because it uses bacon fat.
> > >

> > Yeah, you know most people just hate bacon fat!
> >

> Right, mayo gloped on so thick you can't see the potatoes
> is ever so much more healthful.

Maybe bargain basement dining like you enjoy or someone incapable
of tasting more than glop will add extra, and unnecessary, mayo
but my MW-based potato salads are quite enjoyable with just enough
to help with binding the ingredients.

Moderation, something you're unable to understand, is the key to
success.

The Ranger

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:07:37 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:08:23 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Do you serve potato salad for christmas? Is that a family custom? Very
> >>unusual. I like Hellmanns though! LOL

> > I'm not serving it for Christmas. It would go wierd under the turkey
> > gravy. ;-)

> LOL, yeah.. I just thought it was unusual to have picnic type food for
> christmas, so I wondered if this was one of those family quirks that
> gets passed on down generations?

It very well could be, especially down under, where Christmas is in
the heat of summer.

> > Always with mayo!
> >

> And AMEN on the mayo, Hellmanns please!! LOL

Yup, I've got two and a half jars. Always ready for a mayo emergency.

Carol

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:21:04 -0800, The Ranger
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:45:01 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > <[email protected]> replied:
> > [snip]
> > >Always with mayo!

> > Good potato salad is always with Miracle Whip, you peasant!
> > <G>
> > The Ranger

> I always suspected that you were a little disturbed!
>
> Merry Christmas!
> Carol, who grew up on MW and much prefers mayo

I have a jar of each in the fridge. I like them both and I find them to be
very different in taste - even in recipes. Some things I make with MW and
some I make with mayo.

Being indecisive has its perks!

Happy Holidays.

Elaine, too

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On 24 Dec 2005 09:19:24 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Actually good potato salad is always with hot bacon fat.

> Oh, that hot German potato salad? I've never tried it.
>
> Happy Holidays,
> Carol

er...uh ... well, not only that hot German potato salad. I usually add
crispy fried bacon and I sneak in some bacon "drippins'" to my plain, ole
garden variety, served-cold potato salad. That's probably a Southern
thang.

Emeril became my hero the first time I heard him say, "Pork fat
rules!" But, alas, it doesn't take much to be "my hero" any more. <g>

Elaine, too

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:05:44 -0600, Elaine Parrish <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > Carol, who grew up on MW and much prefers mayo

> I have a jar of each in the fridge. I like them both and I find them to be
> very different in taste - even in recipes. Some things I make with MW and
> some I make with mayo.
>
> Being indecisive has its perks!

Not if it means you have to eat Miracle Whip! ;-)

When I was in my teens, the family went to a nice restaurant on the
river in Hastings, MN. They had a lovely buffet, and I had some of
their shrimp salad and was overwhelmed by how good it was! I asked
Mom what made it taste so good. She said, "Mayonnaise." At that very
moment, I became a convert.

Carol

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:17:11 -0600, Elaine Parrish <[email protected]>
wrote:

> er...uh ... well, not only that hot German potato salad. I usually add
> crispy fried bacon and I sneak in some bacon "drippins'" to my plain, ole
> garden variety, served-cold potato salad. That's probably a Southern
> thang.

Stop. You're frightening me!

Carol, who is a Northern thang

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:17:11 -0600, Elaine Parrish <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > er...uh ... well, not only that hot German potato salad. I usually add
> > crispy fried bacon and I sneak in some bacon "drippins'" to my plain, ole
> > garden variety, served-cold potato salad. That's probably a Southern
> > thang.

> Stop. You're frightening me!
>
> Carol, who is a Northern thang

tee hee hee. Part of the fun of being a Southerner is frightening the
Yankees! <g>

Elaine, too

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:02:01 -0600, Elaine Parrish <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Do y'all peel the potatoes for potato salad before you cook them
>>or after you cook them?

> Before on this end. We use russets, and that would make a hideous
> mess of the cooking water.
>
> Mom always cooked her red potatoes along wtih the hard boiled eggs.
> Then she'd slide the skins off of the potatoes. Wish I had the
> confidence to boil eggs and potatoes together and have the eggs turn
> out right.

I frequently do that when I am already boiling something else. The first
time I did it was because all of the burners were in use and I thought
why not put the eggs into a pot that already had boiling water. Just
remember how long you normally boil eggs and note the time.

Try leaving the skins on when using red potatoes. Potato salad looks
good (and you get all the fiber and other goodies) with the skins left on.

> Russets soak up more flavor than the reds. And they don't require
> much chewing because of their tendency to get a little fluffy.
>
> Holiday Hugs,
> Carol

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:10:43 -0600, Elaine Parrish
<[email protected]> replied:
>tee hee hee. Part of the fun of being a Southerner is frightening the
>Yankees! <g>

Y'all do that easily enough... By serving grits!

The Ranger
--
"Grits are akin to Elmer's Paste with less flavor and more sand."

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:11:38 -0500, George <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I frequently do that when I am already boiling something else. The first
> time I did it was because all of the burners were in use and I thought
> why not put the eggs into a pot that already had boiling water. Just
> remember how long you normally boil eggs and note the time.

Will do. I'm making potato salad this week sometime.

> Try leaving the skins on when using red potatoes. Potato salad looks
> good (and you get all the fiber and other goodies) with the skins left on.

I always use russets. They absorb more flavor, and they're easier to
eat if you're not wearing your dentures. <G>

Although, I did make smashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. I used red,
unpeeled potatoes, and we enjoyed them. Next time I smash a potato,
it will be a red.

Carol

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:10:43 -0600, Elaine Parrish
> <[email protected]> replied:
>>tee hee hee. Part of the fun of being a Southerner is frightening the
>>Yankees! <g>

> Y'all do that easily enough... By serving grits!
>
> The Ranger
> --
> "Grits are akin to Elmer's Paste with less flavor and more sand."

Ranger, I can see you and I need to have a wee heart to heart about
grits! I know they are made from corn and from what I can see they are
made like a porridge (porridge is what we make with oats and have for
breakfast)

Now, tell me more about a) why I should learn about them, b) why I would
like them and c) how I should make them..........if at all........:))))

http://www.qpat.co.uk/

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:40:04 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:11:38 -0500, George <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>> I frequently do that when I am already boiling something else. The first
>> time I did it was because all of the burners were in use and I thought
>> why not put the eggs into a pot that already had boiling water. Just
>> remember how long you normally boil eggs and note the time.

>Will do. I'm making potato salad this week sometime.

I've never been able to add eggs to boiling water without them
cracking. How do you do that?

serene

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:56:26 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've never been able to add eggs to boiling water without them
>cracking. How do you do that?

Don't add them to boiling water. Start them in cold water, and bring
them to a boil. I rarely have them crack then.

Christine, who hails Serene from the fartherest reaches of the bay
area.