potato salad done!

"serene" <[email protected]> wrote

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:40:04 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:11:38 -0500, George <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> I frequently do that when I am already boiling something else. The first
>>> time I did it was because all of the burners were in use and I thought
>>> why not put the eggs into a pot that already had boiling water. Just
>>> remember how long you normally boil eggs and note the time.

>>Will do. I'm making potato salad this week sometime.

> I've never been able to add eggs to boiling water without them
> cracking. How do you do that?

You are supposed to start the potatoes in cold water as well, I
think so's to cook them evenly, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I like the bring the eggs to a boil, turn off the water and let them
sit for a little over 20 minutes then put them into ice water method,
myself. No green ring, just nice tender cooked through eggs.
I wouldn't cook them with the potatoes.

nancy

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:04:25 -0500, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I like the bring the eggs to a boil, turn off the water and let them
>sit for a little over 20 minutes then put them into ice water method,
>myself. No green ring, just nice tender cooked through eggs.
>I wouldn't cook them with the potatoes.

20 minutes!!!!!!??????

Try halving that time..it makes the most wonderful moist eggs..done
with the yolks just set. You don't need to cook them that long!!!

Christine

"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:04:25 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I like the bring the eggs to a boil, turn off the water and let them
>>sit for a little over 20 minutes then put them into ice water method,
>>myself. No green ring, just nice tender cooked through eggs.
>>I wouldn't cook them with the potatoes.

> 20 minutes!!!!!!??????

> Try halving that time..it makes the most wonderful moist eggs..done
> with the yolks just set. You don't need to cook them that long!!!

Oh, no, they aren't on a flame. I didn't say it right, turn off the
heat once it reaches a boil. Sorry.

nancy

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:12:48 -0500, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh, no, they aren't on a flame. I didn't say it right, turn off the
>heat once it reaches a boil. Sorry.

Still too long.

Cut the time in about half. You will be amazed.

Christine

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:01:21 -0800, Christine Dabney
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:56:26 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>I've never been able to add eggs to boiling water without them
>>cracking. How do you do that?

>Don't add them to boiling water. Start them in cold water, and bring
>them to a boil. I rarely have them crack then.

Me, too, but the post I replied to said to add the eggs to the stuff
that was already boiling, so I was confused.

>Christine, who hails Serene from the fartherest reaches of the bay
>area.

Howdy! If San Leandro isn't too far away, you should come to our New
Year's Day open house. Fondue fountain! Overdecorated Christmas
House! Board games! :)

serene

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:18:38 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Howdy! If San Leandro isn't too far away, you should come to our New
>Year's Day open house. Fondue fountain! Overdecorated Christmas
>House! Board games! :)
>
>serene

I am in Fairfield. I might just do that....

Christine

"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:12:48 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Oh, no, they aren't on a flame. I didn't say it right, turn off the
>>heat once it reaches a boil. Sorry.

> Still too long.
>
> Cut the time in about half. You will be amazed.

I've taken them out too early, still a little too yellow (as in
not cooked enough) in the center.

nancy

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:21:29 -0500, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've taken them out too early, still a little too yellow (as in
>not cooked enough) in the center.

Oh, that is how I like them. But they are cooked enough...they are
done. Just nice and moist...and not overcooked. Just cooked enough.
Most people who think that eggs have to be cooked for 20 or so
minutes, just aren't used to them when they are just cooked to the
just done stage.

Christine

"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:21:29 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I've taken them out too early, still a little too yellow (as in
>>not cooked enough) in the center.

> Oh, that is how I like them. But they are cooked enough...they are
> done. Just nice and moist...and not overcooked. Just cooked enough.
> Most people who think that eggs have to be cooked for 20 or so
> minutes, just aren't used to them when they are just cooked to the
> just done stage.

Heh, I promise my eggs aren't overcooked, still soft and not
at all rubbery, just perfectly done through. Nice and moist,
as you say.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>"serene" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:40:04 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Will do. I'm making potato salad this week sometime.

>> I've never been able to add eggs to boiling water without them
>> cracking. How do you do that?

>You are supposed to start the potatoes in cold water as well, I
>think so's to cook them evenly, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>
>I like the bring the eggs to a boil, turn off the water and let them
>sit for a little over 20 minutes then put them into ice water method,
>myself.

That's a fair bit longer than I cook my eggs (12 minutes), so I think
I'll just continue doing them separately.

serene

Nancy Young wrote:
> "serene" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:40:04 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Will do. I'm making potato salad this week sometime.

>> I've never been able to add eggs to boiling water without them
>> cracking. How do you do that?

> You are supposed to start the potatoes in cold water as well, I
> think so's to cook them evenly, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I like the bring the eggs to a boil, turn off the water and let them
> sit for a little over 20 minutes then put them into ice water method,
> myself. No green ring, just nice tender cooked through eggs.
> I wouldn't cook them with the potatoes.
>
> nancy

I use my electric steamer to hardboil my eggs, very few crack. And I
find them easier to peel afterwards.

"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:56:26 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I've never been able to add eggs to boiling water without them
>>cracking. How do you do that?

> Don't add them to boiling water. Start them in cold water, and bring
> them to a boil. I rarely have them crack then.
>
> Christine, who hails Serene from the fartherest reaches of the bay
> area.

O who agrees and hails Serene and Christine from Scotland

--
http://www.qpat.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>,
Christine Dabney <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:18:38 -0800, serene <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Howdy! If San Leandro isn't too far away, you should come to our New
> >Year's Day open house. Fondue fountain! Overdecorated Christmas
> >House! Board games! :)
> >
> >serene

> I am in Fairfield. I might just do that....

Any excuse to leave Fairfield.

:)

We went there one Christmas vacation. Hit the Budweiser place and the
Jelly Belly place. A pleasant day, really.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]