potato salad done!

sarah bennett

Guest
Every damn year, I do the same thing. I forget that I need a little bit
more than one container of miracle whip and have to go out to get more.
What annoyed me even more this year was that my potatoes went off and I
had already went up to the store to get more. With a three year old in
tow, the corner grocery store is a daunting task, especially without a
cart( the place was packed). I'm not peeling another damn potato till
Easter :)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Every damn year, I do the same thing. I forget that I need a little bit
> more than one container of miracle whip and have to go out to get more.
> What annoyed me even more this year was that my potatoes went off and I
> had already went up to the store to get more. With a three year old in
> tow, the corner grocery store is a daunting task, especially without a
> cart( the place was packed). I'm not peeling another damn potato till
> Easter :)

I feel for you. I had a 40-minute wait in line today at a store, and I just
kept praying my thanks that I had the 8-year-old with me, and not the
2-year-old. In your position, I probably would have passed on the trip to
the store and just used fewer potatoes. (Or I would've committed the
ultimate heresy and added a tiny bit of mayo or sour cream to make up for
the missing MW). You're a better woman than I am.

Chris

Chris wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Every damn year, I do the same thing. I forget that I need a little bit
>>more than one container of miracle whip and have to go out to get more.
>>What annoyed me even more this year was that my potatoes went off and I
>>had already went up to the store to get more. With a three year old in
>>tow, the corner grocery store is a daunting task, especially without a
>>cart( the place was packed). I'm not peeling another damn potato till
>>Easter :)

> I feel for you. I had a 40-minute wait in line today at a store, and I just
> kept praying my thanks that I had the 8-year-old with me, and not the
> 2-year-old. In your position, I probably would have passed on the trip to
> the store and just used fewer potatoes. (Or I would've committed the
> ultimate heresy and added a tiny bit of mayo or sour cream to make up for
> the missing MW). You're a better woman than I am.
>
> Chris

I would have, had I not used up the mayo last week when I made some
salmon patties :)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

sarah bennett wrote:

> Every damn year, I do the same thing. I forget that I need a little bit
> more than one container of miracle whip and have to go out to get more.
> What annoyed me even more this year was that my potatoes went off and I
> had already went up to the store to get more. With a three year old in
> tow, the corner grocery store is a daunting task, especially without a
> cart( the place was packed). I'm not peeling another damn potato till
> Easter :)

I find taking a four year old anyplace is a great adventure!! Look at it
in a positive light.. learning activities abound!!
Do you serve potato salad for christmas? Is that a family custom? Very
unusual. I like Hellmanns though! LOL

> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Every damn year, I do the same thing. I forget that I need a little bit
> > more than one container of miracle whip and have to go out to get more.
> > What annoyed me even more this year was that my potatoes went off and I
> > had already went up to the store to get more. With a three year old in
> > tow, the corner grocery store is a daunting task, especially without a
> > cart( the place was packed). I'm not peeling another damn potato till
> > Easter :)

Tee hee hee. I know what you mean. I just hate to peel potatoes.

Do y'all peel the potatoes for potato salad before you cook them
or after you cook them?

Elaine, too

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> > "sarah bennett" wrote in message
> >
> > > I'm not peeling another damn potato till Easter :)

> I just hate to peel potatoes.
>
> Do y'all peel the potatoes for potato salad before you cook them
> or after you cook them?

Depends... with new potatoes, red skinned, and other thin skinned
potatoes I leave the skin on.

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Chris wrote:

> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Every damn year, I do the same thing. I forget that I need a little bit
> > more than one container of miracle whip and have to go out to get more.
> > What annoyed me even more this year was that my potatoes went off and I
> > had already went up to the store to get more. With a three year old in
> > tow, the corner grocery store is a daunting task, especially without a
> > cart( the place was packed). I'm not peeling another damn potato till
> > Easter :)

> I feel for you. I had a 40-minute wait in line today at a store, and I just
> kept praying my thanks that I had the 8-year-old with me, and not the
> 2-year-old. In your position, I probably would have passed on the trip to
> the store and just used fewer potatoes. (Or I would've committed the
> ultimate heresy and added a tiny bit of mayo or sour cream to make up for
> the missing MW). You're a better woman than I am.
>
> Chris

hehe. I'm with you, Chris. I would have been cheating big time if I had
only needed a little. In addition to mayo or sour cream.. ... thinned the
MW with milk. ... added Ranch or Coleslaw (comes mayo based in a
bottle) dressing. ...made a little mayo with eggs and oil. I absolutely
hate having to run to the store at the last minute during the holidays. It
not only stresses me out, it just seems to totally ruin my schedule.

Elaine, too

Goomba38 wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>> Every damn year, I do the same thing. I forget that I need a little
>> bit more than one container of miracle whip and have to go out to get
>> more. What annoyed me even more this year was that my potatoes went
>> off and I had already went up to the store to get more. With a three
>> year old in tow, the corner grocery store is a daunting task,
>> especially without a cart( the place was packed). I'm not peeling
>> another damn potato till Easter :)
>>

> I find taking a four year old anyplace is a great adventure!! Look at it
> in a positive light.. learning activities abound!!
> Do you serve potato salad for christmas? Is that a family custom? Very
> unusual. I like Hellmanns though! LOL

My Grandmother in-law used to make it at Christmas and Easter. I make it
now. My family customs for Christmas are my father *****ing about
everything being closed and maybe seeing a movie :)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Elaine Parrish wrote:

>>"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Every damn year, I do the same thing. I forget that I need a little bit
>>>more than one container of miracle whip and have to go out to get more.
>>>What annoyed me even more this year was that my potatoes went off and I
>>>had already went up to the store to get more. With a three year old in
>>>tow, the corner grocery store is a daunting task, especially without a
>>>cart( the place was packed). I'm not peeling another damn potato till
>>>Easter :)

> Tee hee hee. I know what you mean. I just hate to peel potatoes.
>
> Do y'all peel the potatoes for potato salad before you cook them
> or after you cook them?
>
> Elaine, too

after.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote

> My family customs for Christmas are my father *****ing about everything
> being closed and maybe seeing a movie :)

But I thought that's what Jewish people did on Christmas, get
Chinese food (pork is okay on christmas, it's a kosher exception
day) and go to the movies, no?

nancy

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:08:23 -0500, Goomba38 <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Do you serve potato salad for christmas? Is that a family custom? Very
> unusual. I like Hellmanns though! LOL

I'm not serving it for Christmas. It would go wierd under the turkey
gravy. ;-) But I'm making a big batch sometime next week. A belated
Christmas gift to Crash. He says my potato salad is just like his
mom's. One difference. I don't mix mine with my hands. We are in
custody of his mom's big yellow Pyrex potato salad bowl. *smile*

Always with mayo!

Carol

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:02:01 -0600, Elaine Parrish <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Do y'all peel the potatoes for potato salad before you cook them
> or after you cook them?

Before on this end. We use russets, and that would make a hideous
mess of the cooking water.

Mom always cooked her red potatoes along wtih the hard boiled eggs.
Then she'd slide the skins off of the potatoes. Wish I had the
confidence to boil eggs and potatoes together and have the eggs turn
out right.

Russets soak up more flavor than the reds. And they don't require
much chewing because of their tendency to get a little fluffy.

Holiday Hugs,

wrote:

>Do y'all peel the potatoes for potato salad before you cook them
>or after you cook them?

After, usually, but if I use a very thin-skinned red potato, for
instance, I leave the peel on sometimes.

serene

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:21:04 -0800, The Ranger
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:45:01 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> <[email protected]> replied:
> [snip]
> >Always with mayo!

> Good potato salad is always with Miracle Whip, you peasant!
> <G>
> The Ranger

I always suspected that you were a little disturbed!

Merry Christmas!
Carol, who grew up on MW and much prefers mayo

The Ranger wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:45:01 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> <[email protected]> replied:
> [snip]
> >Always with mayo!

> Good potato salad is always with Miracle Whip, you peasant!
> <G>
> The Ranger

Actually good potato salad is always with hot bacon fat.

On 24 Dec 2005 09:19:24 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Actually good potato salad is always with hot bacon fat.

Oh, that hot German potato salad? I've never tried it.

Happy Holidays,
Carol

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:45:01 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> replied:
[snip]
>Always with mayo!

Good potato salad is always with Miracle Whip, you peasant!
<G>
The Ranger

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:19:18 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
<[email protected]> replied:
>On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:21:04 -0800, The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:45:01 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > <[email protected]> replied:
> > [snip]
> > >Always with mayo!
> > >

> > Good potato salad is always with Miracle Whip, you peasant!
> > <G>

> I always suspected that you were a little disturbed!

"Suspected?!" Dang, madam! What'll I gotta do to erase any doubt?

> Merry Christmas!

And a bah-humbug to you too. <G>

>Carol, who grew up on MW and much prefers mayo

And y'all're callin' ME disturbed?

The Ranger
--
"May you be seated at an all-you-can-eat buffet where sandwiches
of JIF peanut butter and Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread are the only

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:32:12 -0800, The Ranger
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:19:18 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> <[email protected]> replied:
> >On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:21:04 -0800, The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:45:01 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > > <[email protected]> replied:
> > > [snip]
> > > >
> > > Good potato salad is always with Miracle Whip, you peasant!
> > > <G>

> > I always suspected that you were a little disturbed!

> "Suspected?!" Dang, madam! What'll I gotta do to erase any doubt?

Dance naked on a table top at your favorite Chinese restaurant. With
pictures.

> > Merry Christmas!

> And a bah-humbug to you too. <G>

Nothing but coal and switches for you this year, young man!

> >Carol, who grew up on MW and much prefers mayo

> And y'all're callin' ME disturbed?

I most certainly am. Miracle Whip is nasty in my NSHO.

> "May you be seated at an all-you-can-eat buffet where sandwiches
> of JIF peanut butter and Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread are the only
> item being served and where Musak is piped in at Blue Oyster Cult
> levels with the mantra of "I love Miracle Whip" to the "Jingle
> Bell Rock" tune being played..."

You *want* me to commit suicide, don't you? ;-)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Carol

"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote

> On 24 Dec 2005 09:19:24 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]>
> replied:

>>Actually good potato salad is always with hot bacon fat.

> That's a different style of potato salad and not always
> appreciated by the majority because it uses bacon fat.

Yeah, you know most people just hate bacon fat!

Me, I do not like hot potato salad, especially that heavy-on-the-vinegar
stuff.

nancy