Potatoes for Scalloped Potatoes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba'S Jammin, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. It took me 16 minutes and 29 seconds to peel and slice (with a chef's knife, 1/8" thick, give or
    take 1/16") 3 large potatoes, (total weight 1#6oz) and make the white sauce with which to layer them
    in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. They're ready to come out of the oven now. Guess I'd better slice
    the ham and prep the broccoli and get the salads made. Supper's in 50 minutes.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

    Tags:

  2. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > It took me 16 minutes and 29 seconds to peel and slice (with a chef's knife, 1/8" thick, give or
    > take 1/16") 3 large potatoes, (total weight 1#6oz) and make the white sauce with which to layer
    > them in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. They're ready to come out of the oven now. Guess I'd better
    > slice the ham and prep the broccoli and get the salads made. Supper's in 50 minutes.
    > --
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

    Those must be some fancy salads (or did you mean 5 minutes?)

    ;-) gloria p

  3. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > It took me 16 minutes and 29 seconds to peel and slice (with a chef's knife, 1/8" thick, give or
    > take 1/16") 3 large potatoes, (total weight 1#6oz) and make the white sauce with which to layer
    > them in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. They're ready to come out of the oven now. Guess I'd better
    > slice the ham and prep the broccoli and get the salads made. Supper's in 50 minutes.

    HOLD that phone! Wait a sec, I'll be right over!

    Jill

  4. In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > It took me 16 minutes and 29 seconds to peel and slice (with a chef's knife, 1/8" thick, give or
    > > take 1/16") 3 large potatoes, (total weight 1#6oz) and make the white sauce with which to layer
    > > them in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. They're ready to come out of the oven now. Guess I'd
    > > better slice the ham and prep the broccoli and get the salads made. Supper's in 50 minutes.
    >
    > HOLD that phone! Wait a sec, I'll be right over!
    >
    > Jill

    Too late, Toots! Gotta tell you that supper was pretty darned good. Dang shame you missed it. The
    scalloped potatoes were very good. Not too salty. Tender. Just wet enough. (After getting them in
    the dish for the oven, I decided that by the time they baked, they'd be pretty t'ick, so I pour some
    milk on top -- like to almost the rim of the dish. Good move. BTW, the white sauce was made with
    skim milk; the milk I poured was also no fat skim milk.

    (And I was busy playing Collapse, so I didn't start the broccoli or the salads until about 6:15
    p.m.). We sat at 6:35. I'm messy but I'm fast and can do three things in the kitchen at the
    same time. :)
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > Guess I'd better slice the ham and prep the broccoli and get the salads made. Supper's in 50
    > > minutes.

    > > --
    > > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

    > Those must be some fancy salads (or did you mean 5 minutes?)
    >
    > ;-) gloria p

    :) Nope, 50 minutes is correct. We watch Wheel of Fortune whilst we
    eat. It's on at 6:30. (How pathetic is that?) But, the salads had iceberg, romaine, radish, onion,
    green pepper, carrot, and were dressed with my made-up dressing -- I sprinkle some sugar on the
    salad in the bowls, spray it with some olive oil, drizzle a leetle bit of soy sauce on it and then
    drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top. Pretty good.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

  6. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], Melba's
    Jammin' at [email protected] wrote on 2/16/04 10:00 PM:

    > (And I was busy playing Collapse, so I didn't start the broccoli or the salads until about 6:15
    > p.m.). We sat at 6:35. I'm messy but I'm fast and can do three things in the kitchen at the same
    > time. :)
    > --

    Collapse is addictive, isn't it?? Game House (www.gamehouse.com) has a few games that I have spent
    far too much time playing.... Candy Cruncher is another one. Highly addictive.

    At least you can win at Collapse! Candy Cruncher just keeps on going, until it beats YOU!

  7. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It took me 16 minutes and 29 seconds to peel and slice (with a chef's knife, 1/8" thick, give or
    > take 1/16") 3 large potatoes, (total weight 1#6oz) and make the white sauce with which to layer
    > them in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. They're ready to come out of the oven now. Guess I'd better
    > slice the ham and prep the broccoli and get the salads made. Supper's in 50 minutes.
    > --
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

    Okay, it must just take me longer because I use at least 9 potatoes in a regular, lasagna sized
    pyrex dish. Cooking time is always about 1 1/2 hours (I don't have an oven - it's a toaster oven,
    renting an apartment is the pitts!). But I do make the white sauce as well. Still, for me, you gotta
    figure 2 1/2 to 3 hours including cooking time.

    kili

  8. "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:X%[email protected]:

    > "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:barbschaller-
    > [email protected]
    >> It took me 16 minutes and 29 seconds to peel and slice (with a chef's knife, 1/8" thick, give or
    >> take 1/16") 3 large potatoes, (total weight 1#6oz) and make the white sauce with which to layer
    >> them in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. They're ready to come out of the oven now. Guess I'd better
    >> slice the ham and prep the broccoli and get the salads made. Supper's in 50 minutes.
    >> --
    >> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.
    >
    > Okay, it must just take me longer because I use at least 9 potatoes in a regular, lasagna sized
    > pyrex dish. Cooking time is always about 1
    > 1/2 hours (I don't have an oven - it's a toaster oven, renting an apartment is the pitts!). But I
    > do make the white sauce as well. Still, for me, you gotta figure 2 1/2 to 3 hours including
    > cooking time.
    >
    > kili

    And some folks, like me, are just slower at prep (like paring and slicing potatoes). I can even make
    a "production" out of making mashed potatoes.
    <G> And, of course, larger quantities take longer to prepare and to bake.

    Wayne