Potential dumb question.

R Brickton wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 02:49:54 -0400, Greg Evans
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Psshaw! You kids with your "computers"! In my day we had
>> >abacuses. Made from solid stone. And we had to gnaw them

>>from stone with our teeth, because we didn't have any tools.
>> >
>> >And we liked it!
>> >Greg

> You had teeth?

That's right. I had 3 brothers and 3 sisters and we shared
a set of teeth. Thursday was my day.

Ahh... good times.
Greg
"Giving money and power to government is like
giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

(P.J. O'Rourke)
My Photos-
http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

Callistus Valerius wrote:
>>> ----------

>> I ride 80 pounds of water and food for the 80+ mile trips that I am
>> totally on my own. I do have a fresh creek for water (pre-housing) but
>> we all have to eat. Pedaling the bike and me to 3,000 feet burns off a
>> lot of that food and water weight.
>> Bill Baka

> ------------
> Forget eating In&Out burgers while riding, I usually eat KFC, much
> easier. Just tie the bucket to your stem and drape the bucket over the
> front handlebars.

I should have said I load up a 50 pound bike to about 80 pounds with all
the food and water I take along. Nearest KFC to my rides is about 35
miles. Sounds good, but I ride way back in the boondocks.
Bill Baka

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>>> I ride 80 pounds of water and food for the 80+ mile trips that I am
>>> totally on my own. I do have a fresh creek for water (pre-housing) but
>>> we all have to eat. Pedaling the bike and me to 3,000 feet burns off a
>>> lot of that food and water weight.
>>> Bill Baka

>> ------------
>> Forget eating In&Out burgers while riding, I usually eat KFC, much
>> easier. Just tie the bucket to your stem and drape the bucket over the
>> front handlebars.
>>

> I should have said I load up a 50 pound bike to about 80 pounds with all
> the food and water I take along. Nearest KFC to my rides is about 35
> miles. Sounds good, but I ride way back in the boondocks.
> Bill Baka

30 pounds of food and water just for a bike ride? That's enough for an
entire tour, come on Bill get real.

On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:13:51 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>> ------------
>>> Forget eating In&Out burgers while riding, I usually eat KFC, much
>>> easier. Just tie the bucket to your stem and drape the bucket over the
>>> front handlebars.
>>>

>> I should have said I load up a 50 pound bike to about 80 pounds with all
>> the food and water I take along. Nearest KFC to my rides is about 35
>> miles. Sounds good, but I ride way back in the boondocks.
>> Bill Baka

>30 pounds of food and water just for a bike ride? That's enough for an
>entire tour, come on Bill get real.

He is real... on Planet Baka.

On May 25, 2:34 pm, R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:13:51 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> I should have said I load up a 50 pound bike to about 80 pounds with all
> >> the food and water I take along. Nearest KFC to my rides is about 35
> >> miles. Sounds good, but I ride way back in the boondocks.
> >> Bill Baka

> >30 pounds of food and water just for a bike ride? That's enough for an
> >entire tour, come on Bill get real.

> He is real... on Planet Baka.- Hide quoted text -

It takes heaps of fuel to get up to 50mph on a tricycle.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> On May 25, 2:34 pm, R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:13:51 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> 30 pounds of food and water just for a bike ride? That's enough
>>> for an entire tour, come on Bill get real.

>> He is real... on Planet Baka.- Hide quoted text -

> It takes heaps of fuel to get up to 50mph on a tricycle.

Not to mention doing "off-road centuries" wearing blue jeans. (Oh, and with
a morbidly obese riding partner.)

Bill "tired from today's moderate 40...all paved" S.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hank Wirtz wrote:
>> On May 25, 2:34 pm, R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>>> On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:13:51 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>

>> It takes heaps of fuel to get up to 50mph on a tricycle.

> Not to mention doing "off-road centuries" wearing blue jeans. (Oh, and
> with a morbidly obese riding partner.)

On a 50lb Huffy

DI wrote:
> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>> ------------
>>> Forget eating In&Out burgers while riding, I usually eat KFC, much
>>> easier. Just tie the bucket to your stem and drape the bucket over the
>>> front handlebars.
>>>

>> I should have said I load up a 50 pound bike to about 80 pounds with all
>> the food and water I take along. Nearest KFC to my rides is about 35
>> miles. Sounds good, but I ride way back in the boondocks.
>> Bill Baka

> 30 pounds of food and water just for a bike ride? That's enough for an
> entire tour, come on Bill get real.

Picky.
I mean the food, water, Ice Chest in the left rear, 1 gallon water
thermos in the right rear, tools, 3 water bottles (1 one the front fork)
and other things like maybe my camera. On a 95-110 degree F day in
California it is easy to sweat and drink that much in the mountains, and
food to keep the energy up is consumed at every 10-15 miles. Think 40
miles of paved road, half flat, half hills, then the rest is either
really bad gravel road, trail (barely bikeable), or trail carrying bike.
15-20 miles east of Beale AFB is no pavement, no traffic, no people and
no services and a lot of carrying the bike. It isn't just a ride.
Google California's northern section, find Beale then just try to find a
paved road or even a building. There aren't any. No cell service or
anything where I go. Find the gravel road (Waldo) and use the
satellite/map composite and you will see there is nothing there.
I like to explore the remains of the gold rush country and have found
machinery from the 1850's to 1890's time period, rusted, but still
identifiable. Almost all the buildings have collapsed or burned so the
iron and steel tools are all that I find now.
Bill Baka

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Not to mention doing "off-road centuries" wearing blue jeans.

I gave up riding more than 5 miles with blue jeans for some obvious
chaffing reasons. I keep a pair in the back rack to slip on if I am
going to hike it and carry the bike through some pointy weeds.
(Oh, and with
> a morbidly obese riding partner.)

No partner, so far. When I tell people what I have in mind they
'remember' some yard work they forgot.

> Bill "tired from today's moderate 40...all paved" S.

40? On pavement? Damn, that sure is impressive, and boring.
Bill Baka

DI wrote:
> On a 50lb Huffy

48 pounds plus lots of junk I carry. If I break the bike 30 miles from
traffic or cell phone service I want some spare food and water to be
able to walk or carry the bike that distance. If I break me the vultures
get lucky. That's just the way I ride and hike.
Nobody lives forever, and a rest home is not for me, so if I go having
fun, then that's that.
Simple.
Bill Baka

On Fri, 25 May 2007 17:59:01 -0500, "DI" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hank Wirtz wrote:
>>>>

>>> It takes heaps of fuel to get up to 50mph on a tricycle.

>> Not to mention doing "off-road centuries" wearing blue jeans. (Oh, and
>> with a morbidly obese riding partner.)
>>

>On a 50lb Huffy

The gravity must be lower on Planet Baka.