Pothole-proof wheelset?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dw_moto, Jan 3, 2006.

1. dw_moto

dw_moto New Member

I am a century rider who is looking to switch over to road racing. I am planning to buy the Orbea Lobular frameset and build it up with Ultegra componants. I'm looking for a wheelset that I can use for training (I will build a nicer wheelset for racing when I have more money). I don't want to spend more then $300. I am 5'10" and weigh 150 lbs. I ride 200-300 miles a week. The roads in my area are really rough (gravel/potholes/annoying drivers/ect.) so I am looking for a wheelset that can take the abuse. I would be willing to have a heavier wheelset if it was duriable. Thanks for your help

Tags:

2. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

Velocity makes some good ones.

The Fusion:

http://velocityusa.com/wheels/road-fusion.php

The Deep V:

http://velocityusa.com/wheels/road-deepvroad.php

The Dyad -- touring wheel -- even stronger:

http://velocityusa.com/wheels/road-touring.php

People have their favorite builders, but ... for my money ... I'd get my wheels from Peter Chisholm, at Vecchio's Bicicletteria, in Boulder, Colorado:

http://www.vecchios.com/

Peter White would be another good one:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp

Good luck!

3. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I second the open pro/ultegra wheels as those are pretty much bulletproof. If you want, contact Mike Garcia and see what he recommends (everyone I know who has bought from him has been very satisfied), www.oddsandendos.com

5. StartTday

StartTday New Member

I agree with the previous posters, Open Pros rock!

6. shokhead

shokhead New Member

Elites are bombproff.

7. daveornee

daveornee New Member

How wide of tires will clear your frame, fork, and brakes.
    Wider tires also have a taller profile giving more protection to the rims and margin for the entire wheels.
    Fusion rims on Ultegra with 14/15 DB or 14/17 DB Front and left rear will work well with any road tire to 28 mm wide.
    If you can get 30 to 32 mm width, then I would go with Velocity Dyad.
    If your builder can't meet you cost target with Ultegra, 105 is a step down in cost, but still very good quality for your application.
    If you can find a reputable local builder you can save the shipping and have a local resource to deal with any issues that arise. If no reputable local builder is available, I agree that Peter Chisholm is a great wheel builder.
    I would welcome the business as well.
    dave at ornee dot net

8. Cyclist14

Cyclist14 New Member

Mavic Cosmos are pretty good wheels also, they are based on the Open Pro rim but they have super-smooth mavic hubs.

9. palewin

palewin New Member

Another vote for the 32 spoke Ultegra/OpenPro standard. If your roads are really horrible, I remember reading that one of the Belgian teams went to Mavic CXP-33 rims for their cobbled roads, slightly heavier than the OPs, but even more bomb-proof. One virtue of the Ultegra hubs over some fancier sealed-bearing options is that they are really easy to service (re-grease, replace worn cones, etc.).

10. dw_moto

dw_moto New Member

Thanks for your help. I usually build wheels myself for my collection of 1960s and 70s road bikes but I'm not used to the "new" technology so I'm out of my element here.

I have been looking at some of the Open Pro reviews and am wondering, What's up with the "click"? Is it really as obvious/annoying as the reviews say?

11. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

I echo these sentiments.

The Mavic CXP-33 rim is about 1oz heavier then a Open Pro rim.

So: CXP-33 black rims/36-hole Ultegra hubs ;)/DT 14-guage spokes/Brass nipples.

Thats more bomb-proof then a Hum-vee in Iraq :)

12. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

There's no new technology, only new marketing. Wheels aren't any rounder now than they were forty years ago. Take a look at pictures from Paris-Roubaix, which is quite possibly the worst day of racing you could inflict on a wheel. Almost everyone is rolling on 32 hole box rims laced up 3x, tied, and soldered.

13. dw_moto

dw_moto New Member

ceramic? carbon fiber? and what ever happened to 27"?