I recently visited Poulsbo for the first time. Poulsbo
is a Scandinavian town on the Kitsap Peninsula in
Washington State.
For lunch I ate pickled herring, fried cod and chips, and
danish pastries (wienerbrød). I bought an æbleskiver pan, a
Danish cookbook and a jar of cloudberry preserves, which I
used a few days later to fill crepes.
Æbleskiver
Hulda Sorensen, LeClaire, Iowa Minor editing (for clarity)
by Derek Juhl
2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp sugar 2 c buttermilk 2 eggs, separated 1
tsp baking soda melted butter jelly or applesauce
Mix flour, salt and sugar. Beat together buttermilk and egg
yolks, and add the flour mixture. Add soda and fold in
stiffly beaten egg whites. Heat æbliskiver pan and put some
melted butter in each cup in the pan. Pour batter into cups
of the pan, but do not quite fill them (about 2/3 full).
Place over low heat and turn quickly when half done. A fork,
toothpick or knitting needle works well for turning. Cook
until done—an inserted toothpick will come out clean—and
serve hot with jelly or applesauce.
From _Delectably Danish_, by Julie Jensen McDonald. 1982,
Penfield Press, 215 Brown St, Iowa City IA 52245
Derek Juhl