Pouring rain ride

GrowingStronger

Aug 22, 2013
One of my favorite things, a 3 hour ride in pouring rain. I was completely prepared, full rain gear, waterproof boots, etc. I had the best time. Braking needs a little extra distance, and of course I had to hose myself and the bike down for sand and grit.

GrowingStronger said:
Parts at least had a lot if rain this mi soon season, right?
I don't know how much total rain the monsoon brought Tucson, but friends did say that a number of powerful storms. I left Tucson about 1.5 years ago and miss it terribly.

Quote: Originally Posted by GrowingStronger .

One of my favorite things, a 3 hour ride in pouring rain. I was completely prepared, full rain gear, waterproof boots, etc. I had the best time. Braking needs a little extra distance, and of course I had to hose myself and the bike down for sand and grit.

If you are using rim brakes you can practice this:
1. Make a very slight push on the brakes so the pads will just "clean" the rims first.
2. Release the brakes.
3. Reapply the brakes. The braking performance should now be as close as to normal (dry) conditions.

Tires brake alot better when on the wet then in sandy conditions... Its the mud that kinda messes things up but if it had been raining for a while when you go cycling then there should be just water on the road and not any mud from the dust.

I love riding in the rain too... Only thing that kinda gets to me is that I wear glasses! After a while everything starts to look like a kaleidoscope and I have to stop and clean them!
big-smile.png

Disc brakes, no problems just cautious. I just got contacts 2 weeks ago at 48, like being let out of eyewear prison. Sitting now at a stupid McD's mid ride trying not to puke, damned meds are chewing up my stomach.

Actually there's no need for a "very slight push", pause, and then brake application. Just apply the brakes. It's faster. Pausing allows water to collect on the rim. Just apply the brakes. Simple.

MotownBikeBoy said:
Disc brakes, no problems just cautious. I just got contacts 2 weeks ago at 48, like being let out of eyewear prison. Sitting now at a stupid McD's mid ride trying not to puke, damned meds are chewing up my stomach.
Have you ever had a script for ondansetron (Zofran)? It's a pretty powerful anti-emetic medication that doesn't cause drowsiness.

Quote: Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

Disc brakes, no problems just cautious. I just got contacts 2 weeks ago at 48, like being let out of eyewear prison.

Sitting now at a stupid McD's mid ride trying not to puke, damned meds are chewing up my stomach.

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

Have you ever had a script for ondansetron (Zofran)? It's a pretty powerful anti-emetic medication that doesn't cause drowsiness.

No dont listen to him... He is nuts!
big-smile.png
I think I am gonna be seeing nightmares crashing my bike and ending up with aliens as a nurse! Tell your doctor he will probably have a good advice... Best even ask two doctors, or three until you find something that works...
wink.png

Never used disk brakes... But I had a bike with roller brakes and an internal gear hub which I flipped recently... That thing was -built- for rain!
big-smile.png
It even had SKS full wheel fenders...
wink.png

Hmmm, I am not that tidy and I think that contacts are just gonna give me an eye infection eventually... I had a friend who had something stuck in his and he had it pretty bad until he was able to go somewhere to remove them... Glasses are fine with me...

Anzemet and mirtazapine, but I don't take either anymore, I do still have some mirtazapine here by haven't taken it in 8-9 months. I just take Prilosec OTC and tums plus ginger capsules. It's nothing debilitating, just obnoxious. If I wanna do rain riding today is my chance, we have a flood watch expected later per NWS field office.

I gotta figure out how to get rid of one of these identities. I'm even confused by who I am right now. :big-smile: I have two separate bookmarks, one logs me in in the old user name, which was graciously restored after my appeal to the kind and benevolent powers, the other one uses the stupid new screen name (which I hate thinking up anyway).

Anzemet and mirtazapine, but I don't take either anymore, I do still have some mirtazapine here by haven't taken it in 8-9 months. I just take Prilosec OTC and tums plus ginger capsules. It's nothing debilitating, just obnoxious.

If I wanna do rain riding today is my chance, we have a flood watch expected later per NWS field office.

A cup of tea with some milk doesnt work for ya guys huh?
big-smile.png

Not a tea drinker except for iced tea with lemon once in a while in summer.

and you prefer taking stomach medication???
confused.png

Volnix said:
and you prefer taking stomach medication??? :confused:  
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about, again. There are many things not fixed by tea and milk.

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator .

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about, again. There are many things not fixed by tea and milk.

You could use some "sweetening up"
big-smile.png