povitica Bread

Dimitri

Guest
This came from Daughter # 1

I was looking in the Wolfermans catalog (www.wolfermans.com) and saw a bread
that looked yummy, cream cheese flavored "povitica", a Croatian bread that looks
delicious. But!!!! It's 17.95 for one loaf. So, I was wondering if anyone
from your food group has a recipe for it so I can give it to Danielle and mom to
make. (hee hee hee) Just kidding - thought I would try it myself although
baking in general scares the **** out of me!

Dimitri

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This came from Daughter # 1
>
> I was looking in the Wolfermans catalog (www.wolfermans.com) and saw a
> bread that looked yummy, cream cheese flavored "povitica", a Croatian
> bread that looks delicious. But!!!! It's 17.95 for one loaf. So, I was
> wondering if anyone from your food group has a recipe for it so I can give
> it to Danielle and mom to make. (hee hee hee) Just kidding - thought I
> would try it myself although baking in general scares the **** out of me!
>
> Dimitri

Google Group my full name and Potica. You'll get my recipe and several
other contributors as well.
Janet

"Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> This came from Daughter # 1
>>
>> I was looking in the Wolfermans catalog (www.wolfermans.com) and saw a bread
>> that looked yummy, cream cheese flavored "povitica", a Croatian bread that
>> looks delicious. But!!!! It's 17.95 for one loaf. So, I was wondering if
>> anyone from your food group has a recipe for it so I can give it to Danielle
>> and mom to make. (hee hee hee) Just kidding - thought I would try it myself
>> although baking in general scares the **** out of me!
>>
>> Dimitri

> Google Group my full name and Potica. You'll get my recipe and several other
> contributors as well.
> Janet

Thanks,
Is it worth making?

Dimitri

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

snip

>>> Dimitri

>> Google Group my full name and Potica. You'll get my recipe and several
>> other contributors as well.
>> Janet

> Thanks,
> Is it worth making?
>
> Dimitri

I think so. My best friend's mother (high school) made it and I was hooked.
I badgered her until I got the recipe. You will find slightly different
spellings for the bread and also slightly different ways to make the
filling. In the old days, the most tedious part of making the recipe was
grinding the nuts. These days a food processor makes easy work of that. My
friend's mother served the bread with paper thin slices of ham.
Janet

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:

> This came from Daughter # 1
>
> I was looking in the Wolfermans catalog (www.wolfermans.com) and saw a bread
> that looked yummy, cream cheese flavored "povitica", a Croatian bread that
> looks
> delicious. But!!!! It's 17.95 for one loaf. So, I was wondering if anyone
> from your food group has a recipe for it so I can give it to Danielle and mom
> make. (hee hee hee) Just kidding - thought I would try it myself although
> baking in general scares the **** out of me!
>
> Dimitri

Hey, Grandma B is in house next door -- the Queen of Potica. Reminds me
that I should find out what the baking schedule is. "-) "-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-1-05, Oodles of Noodles

"Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

> snip

>>> Google Group my full name and Potica. You'll get my recipe and several
>>> other contributors as well.
>>> Janet

>> Thanks,
>> Is it worth making?
>>
>> Dimitri

> I think so. My best friend's mother (high school) made it and I was hooked. I
> badgered her until I got the recipe. You will find slightly different
> spellings for the bread and also slightly different ways to make the filling.
> In the old days, the most tedious part of making the recipe was grinding the
> nuts. These days a food processor makes easy work of that. My friend's
> mother served the bread with paper thin slices of ham.
> Janet

Worth making?

Dimitri

"Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

> snip

>>> Google Group my full name and Potica. You'll get my recipe and several
>>> other contributors as well.
>>> Janet

>> Thanks,
>> Is it worth making?
>>
>> Dimitri

> I think so. My best friend's mother (high school) made it and I was hooked. I
> badgered her until I got the recipe. You will find slightly different
> spellings for the bread and also slightly different ways to make the filling.
> In the old days, the most tedious part of making the recipe was grinding the
> nuts. These days a food processor makes easy work of that. My friend's
> mother served the bread with paper thin slices of ham.
> Janet

Worth making?

Dimitri

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

snip
>>> Thanks,
>>> Is it worth making?
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> I think so. My best friend's mother (high school) made it and I was
>> hooked. I badgered her until I got the recipe. You will find slightly
>> different spellings for the bread and also slightly different ways to
>> make the filling. In the old days, the most tedious part of making the
>> recipe was grinding the nuts. These days a food processor makes easy
>> work of that. My friend's mother served the bread with paper thin slices
>> of ham.
>> Janet

> Worth making?
>
> Dimitri

yes.

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>

>> snip

>>> Thanks,
>>> Is it worth making?
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> I think so. My best friend's mother (high school) made
>> it and I was hooked. I badgered her until I got the
>> recipe. You will find slightly different spellings for
>> the bread and also slightly different ways to make the
>> filling. In the old days, the most tedious part of making
>> the recipe was grinding the nuts. These days a food
>> processor makes easy work of that. My friend's mother
>> served the bread with paper thin slices of ham.
>> Janet

> Worth making?
>
> Dimitri

It sure sounds like it to me! I'm adding it to my Christmas
baking.

MoM

Dimitri wrote:
> This came from Daughter # 1
>
> I was looking in the Wolfermans catalog (www.wolfermans.com) and saw a bread
> that looked yummy, cream cheese flavored "povitica", a Croatian bread that looks
> delicious. But!!!! It's 17.95 for one loaf. So, I was wondering if anyone
> from your food group has a recipe for it so I can give it to Danielle and mom to
> make. (hee hee hee) Just kidding - thought I would try it myself although
> baking in general scares the **** out of me!
>
> Dimitri

Isn't that the "potica" that Barb mentions?

gloria p

Puester wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
> > This came from Daughter # 1
> >
> > I was looking in the Wolfermans catalog (www.wolfermans.com) and saw a bread
> > that looked yummy, cream cheese flavored "povitica", a Croatian bread that looks
> > delicious. But!!!! It's 17.95 for one loaf. So, I was wondering if anyone
> > from your food group has a recipe for it so I can give it to Danielle and mom to
> > make. (hee hee hee) Just kidding - thought I would try it myself although
> > baking in general scares the **** out of me!
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> Isn't that the "potica" that Barb mentions?

Potica and povotica, in my experience are similar. Potica is a more
common usage in Slovenia and Povotica is used in Croatia. Here's a
recipe from a Croatian parish church cookbook. As you will see, the
$17.95 price is not unrealistic.
D.M.

Povotica
from: Zdenka Matijasevic

Cover 2 ounces of yeast with warm water, add 1 tsp. of sugar,
and set in warm place.
Put 2 pieces of margarine or 1 butter and 1 margarine (about
1/4 cup) into a bowl.
To butter add yolks of 8 eggs, separating whites in another bowl.
Add 1 pint of sour cream to this mixture.
Add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 cup sugar. Mix everything well.
Add the yeast mixture and continue to mix.

Start to add flour a little at a time, mixing thoroughly.
When thick, start to knead. Add flour to a board. (or marble, etc.)
Turn dough out on board and knead dough, turning at all angles
until dough no longer sticks on the board.
Test by imprinting with finger. When indentation springs back
it is ready. Place dough in bowl to rise. Let rise about
2 1/2 times in bulk.

Filling:
Grind 6 heaping cups of walnuts. Beat egg whites stiff; add 2
cups sugar slowly to whites. This will be glossy and stiff;
should stand up in high peaks when tested. Clean beaters by
holding above egg whites and beating slowly.
Fold in nuts, 1 cup at a time. Fold in 1 tsp. vanilla;
fold mixture well.

Punch down dough; cut into 5 balls. Return 4 balls to bowl,
using flour between each ball to keep them separate. Take
the other ball and roll out to 14 x 14 inches on floured board.
Spread filling over the dough. Take one edge and roll gently
as in a jelly roll. Coat cookie sheet with Pam. Pinch the
edges of roll and set on sheet. Continue until all rolls are
made. Keep the rolls covered with a towel and out of drafts.
Let rise 1/2 to 1 hour. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 F. until
golden brown. You will probably need 2 cookie sheets to fit
all.

"D.A.Martinich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Puester wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:
>> > This came from Daughter # 1
>> >
>> > I was looking in the Wolfermans catalog (www.wolfermans.com) and
>> > saw a bread
>> > that looked yummy, cream cheese flavored "povitica", a Croatian
>> > bread that looks
>> > delicious. But!!!! It's 17.95 for one loaf. So, I was wondering
>> > if anyone
>> > from your food group has a recipe for it so I can give it to
>> > Danielle and mom to
>> > make. (hee hee hee) Just kidding - thought I would try it myself
>> > although
>> > baking in general scares the **** out of me!
>> >
>> > Dimitri
>> >

>> Isn't that the "potica" that Barb mentions?
>>

> Potica and povotica, in my experience are similar. Potica is a more
> common usage in Slovenia and Povotica is used in Croatia. Here's a
> recipe from a Croatian parish church cookbook. As you will see, the
> $17.95 price is not unrealistic.
> D.M.
>
> Povotica
> from: Zdenka Matijasevic
>
> Cover 2 ounces of yeast with warm water, add 1 tsp. of sugar,
> and set in warm place.
> Put 2 pieces of margarine or 1 butter and 1 margarine (about
> 1/4 cup) into a bowl.
> To butter add yolks of 8 eggs, separating whites in another bowl.
> Add 1 pint of sour cream to this mixture.
> Add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 cup sugar. Mix everything well.
> Add the yeast mixture and continue to mix.
>
> Start to add flour a little at a time, mixing thoroughly.
> When thick, start to knead. Add flour to a board. (or marble, etc.)
> Turn dough out on board and knead dough, turning at all angles
> until dough no longer sticks on the board.
> Test by imprinting with finger. When indentation springs back
> it is ready. Place dough in bowl to rise. Let rise about
> 2 1/2 times in bulk.
>
> Filling:
> Grind 6 heaping cups of walnuts. Beat egg whites stiff; add 2
> cups sugar slowly to whites. This will be glossy and stiff;
> should stand up in high peaks when tested. Clean beaters by
> holding above egg whites and beating slowly.
> Fold in nuts, 1 cup at a time. Fold in 1 tsp. vanilla;
> fold mixture well.
>
> Punch down dough; cut into 5 balls. Return 4 balls to bowl,
> using flour between each ball to keep them separate. Take
> the other ball and roll out to 14 x 14 inches on floured board.
> Spread filling over the dough. Take one edge and roll gently
> as in a jelly roll. Coat cookie sheet with Pam. Pinch the
> edges of roll and set on sheet. Continue until all rolls are
> made. Keep the rolls covered with a towel and out of drafts.
> Let rise 1/2 to 1 hour. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 F. until
> golden brown. You will probably need 2 cookie sheets to fit
> all.

Or check out the Italian Bakery of Hibbing Minnesota
http://www.potica.com

I saw a video at the Iron Range Interpretative Center about making it,
where the ladies were stretching the dough out on the kitchen table until
it was really thing and bigger than the table. Looked impossible but
they did it.

del

Del Cecchi wrote:
> "D.A.Martinich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Puester wrote:

>>> Isn't that the "potica" that Barb mentions?

Pronounced po-teet-sa.

>> Potica and povotica, in my experience are similar. Potica is a
>> more common usage in Slovenia and Povotica is used in Croatia.
>> Here's a recipe from a Croatian parish church cookbook. As you
>> will see, the $17.95 price is not unrealistic. D.M.
>>
>> Povotica from: Zdenka Matijasevic
>>
>> Cover 2 ounces of yeast with warm water, add 1 tsp. of sugar, and
>> set in warm place. Put 2 pieces of margarine or 1 butter and 1
>> margarine (about 1/4 cup) into a bowl. To butter add yolks of 8
>> eggs, separating whites in another bowl. Add 1 pint of sour cream
>> to this mixture. Add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 cup sugar. Mix everything
>> well. Add the yeast mixture and continue to mix.
>>
>> Start to add flour a little at a time, mixing thoroughly. When
>> thick, start to knead. Add flour to a board. (or marble, etc.)
>> Turn dough out on board and knead dough, turning at all angles
>> until dough no longer sticks on the board. Test by imprinting with
>> finger. When indentation springs back it is ready. Place dough in
>> bowl to rise. Let rise about 2 1/2 times in bulk.
>>
>> Filling: Grind 6 heaping cups of walnuts. Beat egg whites stiff;
>> add 2 cups sugar slowly to whites. This will be glossy and stiff;
>> should stand up in high peaks when tested. Clean beaters by
>> holding above egg whites and beating slowly. Fold in nuts, 1 cup at
>> a time. Fold in 1 tsp. vanilla; fold mixture well.
>>
>> Punch down dough; cut into 5 balls. Return 4 balls to bowl, using
>> flour between each ball to keep them separate. Take the other ball
>> and roll out to 14 x 14 inches on floured board. Spread filling
>> over the dough. Take one edge and roll gently as in a jelly roll.
>> Coat cookie sheet with Pam. Pinch the edges of roll and set on
>> sheet. Continue until all rolls are made. Keep the rolls covered
>> with a towel and out of drafts. Let rise 1/2 to 1 hour. Bake 25 to
>> 30 minutes at 350 F. until golden brown. You will probably need 2
>> cookie sheets to fit all.
>>

> Or check out the Italian Bakery of Hibbing Minnesota
> http://www.potica.com
>
> I saw a video at the Iron Range Interpretative Center about making
> it, where the ladies were stretching the dough out on the kitchen
> table until it was really thing and bigger than the table. Looked
> impossible but they did it.
>
> del

To see pictures of the process:
<http://www2.arnes.si/~ospivka/comenius/potica.htm>

Pastorio

> [...]

> Fold in nuts, 1 cup at a time. Fold in 1 tsp. vanilla;
> fold mixture well.
>
> Punch down dough; cut into 5 balls. Return 4 balls to
> bowl,
> using flour between each ball to keep them separate. Take
> the other ball and roll out to 14 x 14 inches on floured
> board.
> Spread filling over the dough. Take one edge and roll
> gently
> as in a jelly roll. Coat cookie sheet with Pam. Pinch
> the
> edges of roll and set on sheet. Continue until all rolls
> are
> made. Keep the rolls covered with a towel and out of
> drafts.
> Let rise 1/2 to 1 hour. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 F.
> until
> golden brown. You will probably need 2 cookie sheets to

Can you tell me if the heaping cups of walnuts are whole,
chopped or ground?

MoM

"MoM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "D.A.Martinich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Puester wrote:

> >> Isn't that the "potica" that Barb mentions?
> >>

> > Potica and povotica, in my experience are similar. Potica
> > is a more
> > common usage in Slovenia and Povotica is used in Croatia.
> > Here's a
> > recipe from a Croatian parish church cookbook. As you
> > will see, the
> > $17.95 price is not unrealistic.
> > D.M.
> >
> > Povotica
> > from: Zdenka Matijasevic
> >
> > Cover 2 ounces of yeast with warm water, add 1 tsp. of
> > sugar,
> > and set in warm place.
> > Put 2 pieces of margarine or 1 butter and 1 margarine
> > (about
> > 1/4 cup) into a bowl.
> > To butter add yolks of 8 eggs, separating whites in
> > another bowl.
> > Add 1 pint of sour cream to this mixture.
> > Add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 cup sugar. Mix everything well.
> > Add the yeast mixture and continue to mix.
> >
> > Start to add flour a little at a time, mixing thoroughly.
> > When thick, start to knead. Add flour to a board. (or
> > marble, etc.)
> > Turn dough out on board and knead dough, turning at all
> > angles
> > until dough no longer sticks on the board.
> > Test by imprinting with finger. When indentation springs
> > back
> > it is ready. Place dough in bowl to rise. Let rise about
> > 2 1/2 times in bulk.
> >
> > Filling:
> > Grind 6 heaping cups of walnuts. Beat egg whites stiff;
> > add 2
> > cups sugar slowly to whites. This will be glossy and
> > stiff;
> > should stand up in high peaks when tested. Clean beaters
> > by
> > holding above egg whites and beating slowly.
> > Fold in nuts, 1 cup at a time. Fold in 1 tsp. vanilla;
> > fold mixture well.
> >
> > Punch down dough; cut into 5 balls. Return 4 balls to
> > bowl,
> > using flour between each ball to keep them separate. Take
> > the other ball and roll out to 14 x 14 inches on floured
> > board.
> > Spread filling over the dough. Take one edge and roll
> > gently
> > as in a jelly roll. Coat cookie sheet with Pam. Pinch
> > the
> > edges of roll and set on sheet. Continue until all rolls
> > are
> > made. Keep the rolls covered with a towel and out of
> > drafts.
> > Let rise 1/2 to 1 hour. Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 350 F.
> > until
> > golden brown. You will probably need 2 cookie sheets to
> > fit
> > all.
> >

> Can you tell me if the heaping cups of walnuts are whole,
> chopped or ground?

I would say the cups would have to be whole or the nuts would all fall out.

Shaun aRe

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 06:25:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Shaun aRe?

> "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "D.A.Martinich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Potica and povotica, in my experience are similar. Potica
>> > is a more
>> > common usage in Slovenia and Povotica is used in Croatia.
>> > Here's a
>> > recipe from a Croatian parish church cookbook. As you
>> > will see, the
>> > $17.95 price is not unrealistic.
>> > D.M.
>> >
>> > Povotica
>> > from: Zdenka Matijasevic
>> >
>> > Cover 2 ounces of yeast with warm water, add 1 tsp. of sugar, and
>> > set in warm place. Put 2 pieces of margarine or 1 butter and 1
>> > margarine (about 1/4 cup) into a bowl.
>> > To butter add yolks of 8 eggs, separating whites in
>> > another bowl.
>> > Add 1 pint of sour cream to this mixture.
>> > Add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 cup sugar. Mix everything well.
>> > Add the yeast mixture and continue to mix.
>> >
>> > Start to add flour a little at a time, mixing thoroughly.
>> > When thick, start to knead. Add flour to a board. (or
>> > marble, etc.)
>> > Turn dough out on board and knead dough, turning at all angles
>> > until dough no longer sticks on the board.
>> > Test by imprinting with finger. When indentation springs back
>> > it is ready. Place dough in bowl to rise. Let rise about
>> > 2 1/2 times in bulk.
>> >
>> > Filling:
>> > Grind 6 heaping cups of walnuts. Beat egg whites stiff;
>> > add 2
>> > cups sugar slowly to whites. This will be glossy and stiff;
>> > should stand up in high peaks when tested. Clean beaters by
>> > holding above egg whites and beating slowly.
>> > Fold in nuts, 1 cup at a time. Fold in 1 tsp. vanilla;
>> > fold mixture well.
>> >
>> > Punch down dough; cut into 5 balls. Return 4 balls to bowl, using
>> > flour between each ball to keep them separate. Take the other ball
>> > and roll out to 14 x 14 inches on floured board. Spread filling over
>> > the dough. Take one edge and roll gently as in a jelly roll. Coat
>> > cookie sheet with Pam. Pinch the edges of roll and set on sheet.
>> > Continue until all rolls are made. Keep the rolls covered with a
>> > towel and out of drafts. Let rise 1/2 to 1 hour. Bake 25 to 30
>> > minutes at 350 F. until
>> > golden brown. You will probably need 2 cookie sheets to fit all.
>> >

>> Can you tell me if the heaping cups of walnuts are whole, chopped or
>> ground?

> I would say the cups would have to be whole or the nuts would all fall
> out.
>
> Shaun aRe

Ground glass, there's the ticket!

--