Powder Coating ???????'s Ask Here!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by acme powdercoat, Mar 22, 2005.

1. acme powdercoat

acme powdercoat New Member

I can answer any questions you have about powder coating, I will give it to you straight and detailed. We do custom bikes here everyday. Advice is free and comes from experience.
    John

Tags:

2. biker7

biker7 New Member

All right...I will ask...is it safe to powercoat a carbon fiber frame? No.
    Is is a good idea to powercoat a steel or aluminum frame with integrated carbon fiber seat stays? No.
    Sorry...answered my own questions.
    I don't like powdercoated bike frames for many reasons and those are two.
    George

3. meehs

meehs New Member

I have a steel MTB frame that I need to have repainted (or powdercoated). I thought my frame was cracked on the right seatstay and after sanding it down to determine the extent of the damage, it turned-out that it was not cracked at all. Just a weird paint crack/defect. Plus the frame is kind of scratched-up anyway.

Can you explain the process that you use to powdercoat a frame (breifly)?What does it cost to have a frame powdercoated? Do you have a link to a site showing your color selection?

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Check www.spectrumpowderworks.com

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

....and what are the others genius?

6. biker7

biker7 New Member

BTW I am a genius...not that it is relevant to powdercoating. And you are likely functionally autistic with either bonefide or residual OCD and ADD.
    Was having some fun with the poster who was offering technical insight on powdercoating and taking advantage of free marketing.
    Bore-troll...take an english class. An engineering class or two wouldn't hurt either but you could never get through the math.
    George

7. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

For one thing the temperature required to cure most powder coats is equal to or above the ageing temperature for 6000 series aluminum. But I'm sure you knew that.

8. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Maybe you ought to check www.spectrumpowderworks.com too.

9. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Bwaahahahahahahahahaha....ROTFLMAO!! Please Georgie spare us.... :rolleyes:

10. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

They seem to know almost as much about metalurgy as you do.

11. biker7

biker7 New Member

Hey Art...I hear an echo in here. I got it...sound waves bouncing around bore-troll's vacuous head. :p
    George

12. meehs

meehs New Member

The first link that boudreaux posted worked fine for me. It says that the temerature required for powdercoating is only 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Well below any significant aging or heat-treating temperatures. They may not know metalurgy but I'm sure they know the temperatures required for their own powder coating process.

13. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Obviously, the Cycling Forum experts always know more than a company that has been in business for years,with an unblemished record. Ask Georgie about the difference in yield strength of cyclex tubesets like SLX,SL and TSX, all using the same alloy . ...LOL

14. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Ageing of 6061 drawn tubing is 320F.

15. biker7

biker7 New Member

it all depends what you want meehs. Powercoating motorcycle frames is a common practice. It is by no coincidence that virtually all premium bike manufacturers still use base and clear coat paint schemes. Many reasons really.
    Graphics being one. Burying decals under clear coat being the other. Some powdercoaters will work with you on this front and shoot clear powdercoat over base coat for better depth as with painted frames, though at risk to decal degradation with high temps involved. Bike frames are powercoated all the time. For me, if its a real nice frame, it isn't even a choice.
    George

16. meehs

meehs New Member

I think aging might be that low but heat-treating occurs at something like 750K, which is around 900F. Artificial aging of 6000 series is done at around 450K, which is around 350F and aging is done for long periods of time. My point is that sticking a 6000 series frame (that has already been artificially aged and heat-treated) into a 400 degree Fahrenheit cure oven for a period of time that's long enough to flow and cure the powder coat will do absolutely nothing to the properties of the frame.

I'm not going to publicly proclaim myself a genius or anything but I did design infrared ovens (for curing coatings) for twelve years of my life.

17. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Good catch !!... ;) ...One should be especially careful of that faux pas,especially when one has foot planted firmly in mouth.

18. biker7

biker7 New Member

but the point is meehs....why. Why subject your frame to that level of heat even with questionable degradation when you have a cosmetically superior alternative that is as economical...paint? For chip resistance?...a dual edged sword. Ever try to strip a powdercoated frame for a respray? Other claims are poor UV performance over time...depending on type of powercoat used. It doesn't wash but have at it if you want.
    George

19. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Why nit pick it to death,when you don't even have a frame worthy of a bad rattle can job?

20. meehs

meehs New Member

No, I can't say that I've ever tried to strip a powder-coated frame but I know what you mean. Personally, I would argue on behalf of powder-coating for environmental (powder-coating is much more environmentally friendly than wet paint processes) and durability reasons.

Oh and as far as the heat goes... like I said, the heat from the cure oven won't do anything to your frame at all. Unless it's made out of some really weird alloy I guess.