Powder Coating ???????'s Ask Here!!

John - Can you tell me approximately how much you'd charge to strip an already powder coated steel frame and then powder coat it? I'm sure there are various options but if you could tell me your approximate charge for a "typical" frame I'd appreciate it.

wayfastwhitey said:
Is it possible to strip an aluminum frame, polish it and just clear over the polished ( or maybe brushed) finsh? I have a cannondale r1000 that I would like to do this way, no decals.

Thanks

P.S. Nice website, cool pics!
Yes, you can clear over a bare frame but it is clear and will show whatever is under it. A highly polished frame will be frozen as it is with clear. The time needed to show polish a frame would be cost prohibitive but if you polish it to your liking then clear coating is quick and easy. When we polish a frame prior to powder coating it has swirls and the like as we are just smoothing the substrate down. If I can attach a pic here of a frame prior to coating I will. Nope, too big. Go to this page http://www.acmepowdercoating.com/gallery/gallery.htm#and click on the orange bike frame and hit before and after shots, you will see the polish we do before coating in the before shot. It is all possible.

meehs said:
John - Can you tell me approximately how much you'd charge to strip an already powder coated steel frame and then powder coat it? I'm sure there are various options but if you could tell me your approximate charge for a "typical" frame I'd appreciate it.
With the fork we get $225 just the frame is $170

OLD Thread revival time. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Ok so I'm a newb and other than the second post in this thread where a guy cynically answered both of his similar questions himself without hearing from the expert, I didn't take the time to see if anyone asked this question but is it safe to powder coat (oven treat) a carbon fiber frame? And what would be the best method to strip the factory paint off of the same? Sand/ baking soda blast? Stripping chemicals? Sand? None of the above?

Thanks

Originally Posted by StormTrooper .

OLD Thread revival time. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Ok so I'm a newb and other than the second post in this thread where a guy cynically answered both of his similar questions himself without hearing from the expert, I didn't take the time to see if anyone asked this question but is it safe to powder coat (oven treat) a carbon fiber frame? And what would be the best method to strip the factory paint off of the same? Sand/ baking soda blast? Stripping chemicals? Sand? None of the above?

Thanks
Powdercoat is baked on,typically at a temperature of 200C. That will melt your carbon frame,so no,you can't have it powdercoated.