Power Agent 7.5 "Supported Device Not Found" !!!

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by MarkM13, Mar 12, 2010.

1. MarkM13

MarkM13 New Member

Anyone having the same issue after upgrading from 7.4?
    I went through the FAQ at Saris.com and tried all the suggestions.
    In addition I checked firmware edition, rebooted, tried multiple USB ports etc.
    No change.

I was excited to see the new metrics of "Normalized Power" and "TSS" added in the new addition.
    And, it imported all my previous 7.4 data w/o any issues. However, it's still not "seeing" the PT computer in the cradle.

I'm on a PowerPC Mac running 10.4.11 and am wondering if this is the end of the "Upgrade line" for non Intel machines? :(

Anyone have similar issues?

TIA,
    Mark

Tags:

2. jlharden

jlharden New Member

Hi Mark,

I had the same issue. With the head unit in the cradle and in host mode, I snapped it out of the usb cradle and immediately back in. This woke it up, and went from the "no supported devices" tab to the usual Power/Ant+ tab. Give it a shot, couldn't hurt. Good luck!

Jerrod

3. MarkM13

MarkM13 New Member

Hey that did it!!!
    Love the new 7.5 version

Thanks a bunch Jerrod :D

4. Stan Lipnowski

Stan Lipnowski New Member

I have tried the above method without success, STILL "no supported devices were found"
    I am using a PT2.4 on a G5 Mac running 10.5.8. Anybody have a clue??
    TIA
    Stan

5. MarkM13

MarkM13 New Member

I can't remember where I read it. But there is a known issue with the G5 and Power Agent.
    It's being addressed. You may want to email them to see what's up.

M

6. Stan Lipnowski

Thanks for the reply.
    I tried installing it on my Powerbook Mac, same result. I have e mailed them and await their reply(it is the weekend, hopefully they are out riding)
    Thanks
    Stan

7. patatozer

patatozer New Member

Hello,
    Same problem : powerbook G4 Mac OS 10.4.11
    It was ok with the previous version.
    :confused:

8. Stan Lipnowski

I spoke with Saris this morning. They wondered if it was the cable/cradle that was the problem. They said if there was a communication with PowerAgent there would have been a message that there was an unknown device. The fact that it said that there was no device leads them to believe that there is no connection. They recommended that I plug it into another person's computer. Except I don't know anybody else with a Power Tap!
    Still doesn't explain why all you people are having the same problem after upgrading!!!
    Suggestions????
    Stan

9. bwbike

bwbike New Member

When I purchased my (first) PT last Fall, the USB dock cradle did not work (it was brand new). Saris sent me a new one and it worked perfectly.

Saris told me to throw the defective one away, so I broke it apart to see what was inside. There are a lot of micro chips & stuff in there. I could imagine a good static charge could render it useless.

10. patatozer

patatozer New Member

I've tried to download data with usb craddle plugged into a windows/pc system and it was ok. I think the problem is coming from the new mac software and/or drivers.

11. highcamp

highcamp New Member

I've got a solution - at least for some of you.

I had the same problem doing the upgrade to PowerAgent 7.5 with it saying supported device not found. But my recently installed TrainingPeaks Device Agent could see it and download just fine. This reminded me of a time a couple years ago when i was doing some microcontroller work with my Mac and downloaded a usb driver for it (microcontroller) which basically rendered my PowerAgent at the time useless. They just don't get along. Low and behold, the Training Peaks Device Agent uses the same driver as that microcontroller. So I went to the microcontroller's site and found the same directions I used back then to uninstall that driver. Jackpot, now poweragent works.

The offending driver is an FTDI driver - only my TrainingPeaks Device Agent used it, so I'm sacrificing it in favor of having new PowerAgent work (poweragent is MUCH better anyway... at least relative to the free trainingpeaks package). Here is a copy+paste of the instructions to get rid of offending driver:

1) Disconnect all devices that are/should be using the FTDI driver

2) Reboot (I didn't do this, and the solution worked fine)

3) Delete /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

4) Delete /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

5) Delete /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

6) Delete /Library/Receipts/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.pkg

7) Delete /Library/Receipts/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

If you haven't installed the new drivers that come in the PowerAgent 7.5 dmg, do that now. if you have already, then just go try poweragent. Worked for me like a charm! Good luck.

ps: i'm using OS X 10.5.8 on intel macbook

12. repsychlist

repsychlist New Member

My CPU & cradle have worked consistently OK with PA7.5 on a G5 Intel running 10.6.2 but no joy on G4 PPC running 10.4.11 (both worked OK with PA7.4).
    The physical tricks with the CPU on the cradle and trying a different USB slot haven't worked. I've also tried reinstalling PA7.5 and the drivers, and the FTDI routine posted - all to no avail.
    I emailed Saris over a week ago and have yet to receive a reply so would be interested in any other fixes.
    Great, I just downloaded a session OK but then get 'no supported device' on my G5 for download, configure and firmware. Quitting and reopening PA7.5 doesn't fix the problem so I'll try a reboot after posting this.
    I think there are software bugs here..........

13. repsychlist

repsychlist New Member

The good news is that rebooting sorted my G5 at least!

14. Vudu

Vudu New Member

Same problem here after the upgrade to 7.5. I'm on a G5 Mac OS 10.5.8. After completing the download and install process I am no longer able to download data from my Powertap headunit, I only receive the message "no supported devices found". I checked my connections, re-started my machine and even downloaded the USB drivers again but still the same result. My last resort was to reset the PMU which did nothing. The USB ports all work fine with other devices which would seem to point to this being a software issue.

The disconnect-reconnect solution mentioned does nothing for my machine and nether does the FTDI driver deletion solution (I didn't even have that extension).

I've sent a note to Saris and I'm hoping they respond quickly. I also had to have the cradle replaced as soon as I purchased my setup lat year...it was no good right out of the box but fortunately the replacement worked fine....until this "upgrade". :(

15. MarkM13

MarkM13 New Member

I've come up with a temporary work around for those of you that had everything working in 7.4.

Open up 7.4 (it should still be in your aps folder unless you trashed it)
    Hit the download icon. Chances are the PT head will be recognized as usual.
    Don't download the data. Just close 7.4. Now go back to 7.5 when you hit the download button the PT head should be recognized. Cumbersome for sure. But, I haven't had to do it before each download. Subsequent downloads have been fine. If 7.5 kicks back the "Device Not Found" I'll go back and launch 7.4 and have the head recognized in there..

Good luck

M

16. btulloch

btulloch New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am having the same problem as Vudu. "No supported devices were found" is all I get. I have tried to update the FTDI Driver as mentioned above and this hasn't changed anything. I just got the PowerTap (used) so I don't have Poweragent 7.4 on my computer, so the workaround is not an option for me. I'm running an Intel Macbook with 10.5.8 OS. I was able to download the data when I was running Windows on Bootcamp, but this is really not what I would like to have to do every time I wish to download my power data.

If anyone has figured out how to make this work finally, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

17. MarkM13

MarkM13 New Member

I too had this issue.
    Email Saris, they will send you 7.4
    Doesn't have nearly as many meterics but at least you can down load and
    analyze the fundamentals.

HTH,
    M

18. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

My powermeter is doing this to me as well. Done all the installation right, followed all the FAQs but in the end I just sit there staring at the 'host' written on the powertap computer whilst poweragent repeatedly tells me that no supported devices are attached. WKO+ is just as bad, can't find the device.

Edit: Installed the software on my older windows XP pro computer rather than my windows vista laptop and all is well.......... hrmmmm.

19. MarkM13

MarkM13 New Member

FWIW: If you notice earlier in the thread, I had 7.5 working albeit with a cumbersome work around.
    Later 7.5 just stopped seeing the head no matter what. I went back to 7.4 at Saris' suggestion.

Good luck

M

20. zaxxon

zaxxon New Member

Sorry for dragging out an old thread, but there is not much out there on this topic.

So with the help of a post above (kudos highcamp) I was able to download data with Power Agent 7.5.7.34 on a mac running OSX Lion (10.7).

This is what worked for me:

** Be careful mucking around in the System/Library directory - you could really mess up your operating system. **

Open the Terminal application.
    cd /System/Library/Extensions/
    sudo rm -R FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
    Download and re-install PowerAgent (from http://www.cycleops.com)

I am now able to download power data for the first time in many months. Good luck!