Power Assist Equipment?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by johnderman, Feb 22, 2015.

1. johnderman

johnderman New Member

I'm a little curious what you guys think of power assist equipment on a bike? I've got a gas motor on my bike with a heavy duty chain, for those long hauls, because I used to have to bike to work every day, and in the blistering heat of the day there's no way I could make it up and down those hills 4 times a day on my own power and have enough energy not to drop dead at the end of the day. If I wanted to go for a casual ride, if I didn't disconnect the chain it added some extra resistance to the ride and built up my muscles some more, so it was a bit like riding a resistance exercise bike but with added scenery.

Tags:

2. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

I have come across a few gas bike conversions on the road. My opinion is that they are crude, noisy, smelly, dangerous and look ridiculous. There may be some more elegant kits out there, but I have not seen any.

There are some electric conversion kits that are more enticing. Electric drive fits the aesthetic of bicycing much better. I have seriously considered building up a fast electric commuter. It would be nice to have a bike where I can get to work fast, without burining out my legs for the more fun rides of the week.

3. johnderman

johnderman New Member

Oh, you've probably seen the ones that have been crudely created from other engine components. I've got a kit from a distributor that was really easy to put on, it's not really noisy, it's not dangerous at all, unless you try to ride it on thick ice on the road, but the most that will happen is that you'll fall off... I get 150 mpg on it and it goes up to 30 mph smoothly.

4. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Member

I was looking at building one of my own, but got no lovin' on the subject here. I'm still looking for a suitable clutch, but so far, a rear rim with disk mount is a good starting point.