power-assist,is it bicycling or not ?

horrie

Aug 22, 2003
a call to bicyclists out there who are using various forms of power assist aids on their bicycles.
Please if you consider this not bicycling then don't winge to me,go to your mother,I would like to find out more about anyone who owns and regularly uses these machines as a viable transport aid.

Originally posted by horrie
a call to bicyclists out there who are using various forms of power assist aids on their bicycles.
Please if you consider this not bicycling then don't winge to me,go to your mother,I would like to find out more about anyone who owns and regularly uses these machines as a viable transport aid.

Electrics are a fun toy, and great for short radius transportation.
Most manufacturers overstate their range about 50%.

Great on hot days over 90F since you can get cooling air circulating with little effort. Also great for headwinds since you have the extra torque with no more wind resistance.

Helpful at starts, but when you are up to speed little assistance is given, though not a lot is needed. Most lead acid systems add around 25 lb to the bike. Therefore, more pedalling effort is needed for use at higher speeds-above that at which the electrics operate. The motor helps on slight upgrades, but for steep upgrades the weight reduces any advantage. For long distance-go with something lighter. If you stop abruptly and didn't get your deraileur downshifted-no problem, the motor will solve the high gear start issue (try not to do this regularly else you'll wear sprockets out quickly). I'm wearing out rear tires at 400-500 miles (I'm 230lbs).

I'm thinking that this is kind of a fun thing to play with. However it will make a person lazy and prone to not actually get the exercise. You might as well have a moped or motorcycle. I'm still laughing about someone else's post here about how a car runs on money and something about it making you gain weight. Lol It's the truth. The greatest thing is to travel everywhere on a bicycle. What it does for your body and mind is just amazing. A car is still definitely a good tool to get you places that you need to go.
A motorized bike just to me sort of defeats the purpose.

It sort of seems like a hybrid of cycling and motorbiking, and being neither at the end of the day. It's not something that bothers me much, as it's such a small niche crowd that bother with any form of power assist. However, I wouldn't blame someone that has some form of disability or health issues if they install a motor on their bicycle.

The topic asks if it is considered cycling or not. Then you say don't winge to you if one does not consider it cycling? What a stupid thread! :rolleyes:

I myself would not consider it cycling but if one uses it for transportation, that's their choice.

What is really stupid is when riders with motor assist pull up along side of you and pretend they are passing you trying to look like they are pedaling some big heavy beach cruiser bike. Like other riders have never seen a motor assisted bike! :confused:

power-assist...still not cycling since 2003.

Just ask that Belgian cyclo-cross chick.

2003!!! Seriously? Ok, well in my opinion I wouldn't class it as cycling. I didn't in 2003 and I don't now, 13 years later, and to be honest, the powered bicycle hasn't exactly been flying off the shelves, so it looks like most other cyclists aren't buying into it either.

If you want a powered bike, go buy an Honda.

Have you guys checked out the latest generation of electric bicycles?
They are pretty freaking gnarly if you ask me.
They range from 1000 to 10 000 bucks, and can hit speeds of 60 MPH!
I am waiting for the prices to come down and the range of the batteries to go up.
I am seriously thinking of ditching my car in favour of one of these (wifes got an SUV, bigger then we would ever need) in the near future. The fuel and insurance savings alone would pay for it in a few years.
That is unless my nanny-state provincial government starts trying to make a few bucks of the registration and insurance on these things.

The answer is quite simple. If you are only using a help of an electric motor for instance in uphills then it is bicycling if you pedal once in a while. However if you are running with electric motor full time then it is just electric biking.

This thread came back from the dead! I used to commute to work on a Prodecotech folding electric bike. It was great for my 7 mile commute. I would always ride my road bike for fitness. The electric was just for commuting purposes. I've since sold my electric bike, because my commute is much further now. My wife's only bike is a pedal assist electric with a small 250 watt motor. It makes a lot of sense for our situation. I'm a more fit individual with more endurance than my wife. Her bike set at medium assist level is a perfect match for me when we are cruising. The funny thing is that if I want to I can easily pull away from her, because the electric is limited to 20 MPH. I would rather my wife ride an electric bike than not ride at all.