Power at TT increase

stewc

Jun 19, 2003
I've done some searches and haven't seen this talked about yet.

I'm curious what kind of gains can be seen in TT Power with "propper" training. By that I mean what is possible in improvements for an experienced cyclist from the base building phase of the season through the "race ready" phase. Just looking for rough numbers perhaps in percentages.

Thanks
Stew

Originally posted by stewc
I've done some searches and haven't seen this talked about yet.

I'm curious what kind of gains can be seen in TT Power with "propper" training. By that I mean what is possible in improvements for an experienced cyclist from the base building phase of the season through the "race ready" phase. Just looking for rough numbers perhaps in percentages.

Thanks
Stew

The magnitude of increases in any aspect of fitness will be determined by many variables. it would be impossible to estimate any potential increases (or even decreases) within such a forum. The magnitude of increase will be dependent on such factors (in no specific order)
1) current fitness of the athlete
2) trainability of the athlete
3) time available for training
4) mental 'strength' (commitment)
5) etc

however, that said, often the difference between in and out of season fitness is 10% (much more than this and you've probably let yourself go).

additionally, on a year by year basis, i've seen people increase their TT power by ~2 to ~40%

Ric

Thanks Ric,

I was really just looking for a ballpark figure there. 2% to 40% is a huge range!

I realize there are quite a few variables but I was hoping to narrow some of them down a bit. For example, if you're training with a power meter that says something about commitment. I was also assuming that this was an experienced athlete or someone who has been training for a while (current fitness), and that this was during the "base building" period of the season. I just didn't realize it would be such a large range.

Thanks
Stew