Power Grips Deform Feet?!?!

I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
up with foot pain.

I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
PG's come in.

In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

Jeff
news:[email protected]...

Jeff Grippe wrote:
> I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
> thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
> tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
> up with foot pain.
>
> I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
> would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
> shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
> tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
> PG's come in.

You might like to look at Time's Z Freeride series of ATACs, which are
designed as a platform pedal with a clip in the middle, meant for riders
doing Extreme Downhill Silliness or similar work where a big platform is
held to have advantages.

Beyond that, Look cleats are quite a bit chunkier than SPuDs so I guess
they'd spread the loading a bit better. Caveat: I haven't tried either.

> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

You'd need to define "better". For efficiency and power transmission,
what do racers do? The answer isn't PGs. For holding one's foot on the
pedal it can't really be "better" either, but for the convenience of not
having to wear a special shoe they can certainly be considered
preferable for some.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:30:27 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

Yes, but solely because they operate in the same manner as clipless
pedals, IOW, twist to release. That saves getting caught-out if
you're using both flat and clipless pedals on your bikes.

No, because they must be adjusted to properly fit different shoes and
that adjustment is rather hokey, IME. It tends to loosen.
--
zk

In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

> Yes. Given the choice of PGs or toe clips, I'd go with PGs.

Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
anything else, I'd choose the else.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
X windows. Flaky and built to stay that way.

wrote:

>I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
>thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
>tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
>up with foot pain.
>
>I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
>would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
>shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
>tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
>PG's come in.
>
>In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

No data, but I will observe that I have seen a 'bent whose pedals had
fiberglass platforms shaped to fit the rider's shoe soles with an edge
flange about 15mm high around the lower third. There was a balance
weight added to cause the platform to rest at an angle that made it
easy to drop the foot onto it. The bike's owner does a lot of boat
repair work.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:47:02 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Beyond that, Look cleats are quite a bit chunkier than SPuDs so I guess
>they'd spread the loading a bit better. Caveat: I haven't tried either.

Look's pedals tend to hang toe-down, which makes them slightly
annoying to some when used on a 'bent.
--

Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

>> Yes. Given the choice of PGs or toe clips, I'd go with PGs.

> Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
> anything else, I'd choose the else.

I'm quite satisfied with my pair of Mt Zefal MTB toeclips.
They're made of some plastic/resiny material and they have
square, blunt toe boxes (I find my shoes can squirm around
in pointy toeclips.) I don't cinch the straps up terribly
tightly, but I can still hop over potholes with them. No
problems entering or exiting them. And with their boxy
shape I can (and did) wrap lengths of inner tube around
them for rain covers which, in conjunction with my gaiters,
keep my shoes remarkably dry & cool when riding in the rain --
no need for booties.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Jeff Grippe wrote:
> I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
> thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
> tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
> up with foot pain.
>
> I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
> would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
> shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
> tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
> PG's come in.
>
> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

I think the answer to this has to be that how well PG's work is a
pretty personal call. They're much, much better at actually securing
your foot to the pedal than toeclips if you're not tightening the strap
all the time. They're really pretty comparable to clipless in this
regard, IME - and I don't know how toeclips with tightened straps enter
into that comparison because I never got in the habit of tightening
mine down on the fly.

The problem with them is they require a continuous muscular effort in
order to work. It seems like this just isn't compatible with some
people, although how willing one is to dork out over the adjustment
probably plays a big role.

I used them for about a year and was never quite happy with them
personally, although I think they're pretty cool and worth trying,
especially if you know you don't want clipless.

On 3/26/06 11:47 PM, in article
[email protected], "NYC XYZ"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
>
> And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
> to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> instead of by the toe??

Dude!!

You ask the most dumbass troll questions.......
You need to get laid or something!

ST wrote:
> On 3/26/06 11:47 PM, in article
> [email protected], "NYC XYZ"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
> >
> > And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
> > to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> > instead of by the toe??
> >

> Dude!!
>
> You ask the most dumbass troll questions.......
> You need to get laid or something!

In another thread the OP writes of "meeting a wonderful girl" and being
"like soulmates already", so maybe he will. She sounded sufficiently
mentally unstable.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Dunce!

You need to turn off the computer!

Volunteer somewhere and hit the gym!

ST wrote:

> Dude!!
>
> You ask the most dumbass troll questions.......
> You need to get laid or something!

You sound jealous.

"If the dogs are barking, we must be galloping!"

In rec.bicycles.misc Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
>> anything else, I'd choose the else.

> I'm quite satisfied with my pair of Mt Zefal MTB toeclips.
> They're made of some plastic/resiny material and they have
> square, blunt toe boxes (I find my shoes can squirm around
> in pointy toeclips.) I don't cinch the straps up terribly
> tightly, but I can still hop over potholes with them. No
> problems entering or exiting them. And with their boxy
> shape I can (and did) wrap lengths of inner tube around
> them for rain covers which, in conjunction with my gaiters,
> keep my shoes remarkably dry & cool when riding in the rain --
> no need for booties.

I've been having so much trouble readjusting my SPD cleats, I'm halfway
to thinking about flats or clips. [1] I've got the *most* painful
saddle sore at the moment.

Well, just about time to ride home.

/wince

[1] One cleat came half off earlier this week. It's still not adjusted
quite right.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do."

In article <[email protected]>,
Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:

> I've been having so much trouble readjusting my SPD cleats, I'm halfway
> to thinking about flats or clips.

Sometimes I consider acquiring a pair of Carnac shoes and Time ATAC pedals.
I've also thought about commissioning a certain local shoe & boot Mfgr to
custom-make a pair of cycling shoes for me.

cheers,
Tom