Power Grips Deform Feet?!?!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by NYC XYZ, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
    thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
    tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
    up with foot pain.

    I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
    would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
    shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
    tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
    PG's come in.

    In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

    Jeff
    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
    >
    > And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
    > to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
    > instead of by the toe??

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jeff Grippe wrote:
    > I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
    > thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
    > tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
    > up with foot pain.
    >
    > I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
    > would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
    > shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
    > tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
    > PG's come in.

    You might like to look at Time's Z Freeride series of ATACs, which are
    designed as a platform pedal with a clip in the middle, meant for riders
    doing Extreme Downhill Silliness or similar work where a big platform is
    held to have advantages.

    Beyond that, Look cleats are quite a bit chunkier than SPuDs so I guess
    they'd spread the loading a bit better. Caveat: I haven't tried either.

    > In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

    You'd need to define "better". For efficiency and power transmission,
    what do racers do? The answer isn't PGs. For holding one's foot on the
    pedal it can't really be "better" either, but for the convenience of not
    having to wear a special shoe they can certainly be considered
    preferable for some.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:30:27 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

    Yes, but solely because they operate in the same manner as clipless
    pedals, IOW, twist to release. That saves getting caught-out if
    you're using both flat and clipless pedals on your bikes.

    No, because they must be adjusted to properly fit different shoes and
    that adjustment is rather hokey, IME. It tends to loosen.
    --
    zk

  4. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

    > Yes. Given the choice of PGs or toe clips, I'd go with PGs.

    Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
    anything else, I'd choose the else.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    X windows. Flaky and built to stay that way.

  5. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    wrote:

    >I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
    >thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
    >tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
    >up with foot pain.
    >
    >I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
    >would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
    >shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
    >tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
    >PG's come in.
    >
    >In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

    No data, but I will observe that I have seen a 'bent whose pedals had
    fiberglass platforms shaped to fit the rider's shoe soles with an edge
    flange about 15mm high around the lower third. There was a balance
    weight added to cause the platform to rest at an angle that made it
    easy to drop the foot onto it. The bike's owner does a lot of boat
    repair work.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:47:02 +0100, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Beyond that, Look cleats are quite a bit chunkier than SPuDs so I guess
    >they'd spread the loading a bit better. Caveat: I haven't tried either.

    Look's pedals tend to hang toe-down, which makes them slightly
    annoying to some when used on a 'bent.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  7. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
    > In rec.bicycles.misc Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

    >> Yes. Given the choice of PGs or toe clips, I'd go with PGs.

    > Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
    > anything else, I'd choose the else.

    I'm quite satisfied with my pair of Mt Zefal MTB toeclips.
    They're made of some plastic/resiny material and they have
    square, blunt toe boxes (I find my shoes can squirm around
    in pointy toeclips.) I don't cinch the straps up terribly
    tightly, but I can still hop over potholes with them. No
    problems entering or exiting them. And with their boxy
    shape I can (and did) wrap lengths of inner tube around
    them for rain covers which, in conjunction with my gaiters,
    keep my shoes remarkably dry & cool when riding in the rain --
    no need for booties.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  8. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Jeff Grippe wrote:
    > I was thinking of trying PG's when I get back on the bike. I've started a
    > thread before in which I mentioned that I don't like clipless because it
    > tends to concentrate all of the force into a small area of my foot and I end
    > up with foot pain.
    >
    > I'd be interested in trying something like a "big clip" if it existed. It
    > would be something where you clipped in at the very edges of your cycling
    > shoe. I realize that such a scheme presents technical problems as people
    > tend to have feet of different widths. I guess that is where toe clips or
    > PG's come in.
    >
    > In the experience of users, are PG's really much better than toe clips?

    I think the answer to this has to be that how well PG's work is a
    pretty personal call. They're much, much better at actually securing
    your foot to the pedal than toeclips if you're not tightening the strap
    all the time. They're really pretty comparable to clipless in this
    regard, IME - and I don't know how toeclips with tightened straps enter
    into that comparison because I never got in the habit of tightening
    mine down on the fly.

    The problem with them is they require a continuous muscular effort in
    order to work. It seems like this just isn't compatible with some
    people, although how willing one is to dork out over the adjustment
    probably plays a big role.

    I used them for about a year and was never quite happy with them
    personally, although I think they're pretty cool and worth trying,
    especially if you know you don't want clipless.

  9. ST

    ST Guest

    On 3/26/06 11:47 PM, in article
    [email protected], "NYC XYZ"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
    >
    > And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
    > to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
    > instead of by the toe??

    Dude!!

    You ask the most dumbass troll questions.......
    You need to get laid or something!

  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    ST wrote:
    > On 3/26/06 11:47 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "NYC XYZ"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    > > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
    > >
    > > And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
    > > to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
    > > instead of by the toe??
    > >

    > Dude!!
    >
    > You ask the most dumbass troll questions.......
    > You need to get laid or something!

    In another thread the OP writes of "meeting a wonderful girl" and being
    "like soulmates already", so maybe he will. She sounded sufficiently
    mentally unstable.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  11. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Dunce!

    You need to turn off the computer!

    Volunteer somewhere and hit the gym!

    ST wrote:

    > Dude!!
    >
    > You ask the most dumbass troll questions.......
    > You need to get laid or something!

  12. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    You sound jealous.

    "If the dogs are barking, we must be galloping!"

    Bob wrote:

    > In another thread the OP writes of "meeting a wonderful girl" and being
    > "like soulmates already", so maybe he will. She sounded sufficiently
    > mentally unstable.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Hunt

  13. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    In rec.bicycles.misc Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >> Well yes, but honestly given the choice of toe-clips vs. just about
    >> anything else, I'd choose the else.

    > I'm quite satisfied with my pair of Mt Zefal MTB toeclips.
    > They're made of some plastic/resiny material and they have
    > square, blunt toe boxes (I find my shoes can squirm around
    > in pointy toeclips.) I don't cinch the straps up terribly
    > tightly, but I can still hop over potholes with them. No
    > problems entering or exiting them. And with their boxy
    > shape I can (and did) wrap lengths of inner tube around
    > them for rain covers which, in conjunction with my gaiters,
    > keep my shoes remarkably dry & cool when riding in the rain --
    > no need for booties.

    I've been having so much trouble readjusting my SPD cleats, I'm halfway
    to thinking about flats or clips. [1] I've got the *most* painful
    saddle sore at the moment.

    Well, just about time to ride home.

    /wince

    [1] One cleat came half off earlier this week. It's still not adjusted
    quite right.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    "Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do."

  14. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dane Buson <[email protected]> writes:

    > I've been having so much trouble readjusting my SPD cleats, I'm halfway
    > to thinking about flats or clips.

    Sometimes I consider acquiring a pair of Carnac shoes and Time ATAC pedals.
    I've also thought about commissioning a certain local shoe & boot Mfgr to
    custom-make a pair of cycling shoes for me.

    cheers,
    Tom