Power Grips Deform Feet?!?!

NYC XYZ

Guest
A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
instead of by the toe??

NYC XYZ wrote:
> A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
buy them any more...

> And are there such things as heel clips?

Sort of: Hase have various disability modifications available and a
pedal with a heel clamp is one of them IIRC.

> Basically, if the idea's only
> to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> instead of by the toe??

Because that is only part of the idea, which is to give you better
pedalling efficiency. For which clipless pedals remain the best
solution in most cases.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

> Good grief.

I was wondering this myself. But the guy's a respected 'bent-head,
riding a Velomobile himself, and is a jet-setting mechanical engineer
for Siemens in his day job. I'm sure he didn't mean actual permanent
deformity, but that's really the gist of his remarks on Power Grips.

Peter Clinch wrote:

> I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
> their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
> buy them any more...

Actually, the way class-action lawsuits work (an individual suit really
doesn't matter most of the time) is that you need a lawyer who thinks
there's money in it. I doubt the number of Power Grips customers, many
of whom are satisfied, whets any attorney's appetite.

Besides, it was how many years before anyone thought to sue Big
Tobacco, much less really pursue it?

And I don't suppose this 'bent dealer meant it literally, but that was
the main idea of his statements, that Power Grips are physiologically
bad for one's feet.

> <SNIP>
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On 27 Mar 2006 07:19:43 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Peter Clinch wrote:
>>

>> I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
>> their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
>> buy them any more...

>Actually, the way class-action lawsuits work (an individual suit really
>doesn't matter most of the time) is that you need a lawyer who thinks
>there's money in it. I doubt the number of Power Grips customers, many
>of whom are satisfied, whets any attorney's appetite.
>
>Besides, it was how many years before anyone thought to sue Big
>Tobacco, much less really pursue it?
>
>And I don't suppose this 'bent dealer meant it literally, but that was
>the main idea of his statements, that Power Grips are physiologically
>bad for one's feet.

I am a satisfied user of the PowerGrips.

I went to PowerGrips from clipless because the clipless were starting
to bother my knees. Maybe a brand with more float wouldn't have this
effect, but I also like being able to wear my work shoes on my
cummute.

I ride a Tour Easy, with a fairly upright riding position. IIRC you
have a trike. The BB position on your ride might make clipless a
better option, since you can slip out of the PowerGrips if not worn
very tight.

Indiana Mike

Power Grips are diagonal to the pedal--the foot has to be inserted at an
angle, with the heel outward. As the foot is straightened, the strap
tightens. When I used them (not on a bent), I found that it was possible to
get them slightly too tight, so that after riding for a few miles, my feet
started to lose circulation. I would have to rotate my heels slightly
outward for comfort.

On a bent, the tightness needed to keep the feet from slipping down is
PROBABLY greater than needed on an upright for regular pedaling, so, as the
feet get numb, and the rider rotates the heel for comfort, there would be a
loss of the vertical support for which the strap was originally chosen.
(Please note that I said "probably," so I am aware that this is just a
theory--but, I think, a reasonable one to consider.)

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

Run away! Run away! %^)

I used PG's for a number of years without discomfort or circulatory
issues.

They would have to be very tight to cause such dire consequences.
The amount of tightness from PGs is self limiting since the amount
of compression is limited by the angle and the insertion characteristics.
They can only apply an incremental amount of compression and
they have to be loose enough to get your shoe in to begin with.

PGs are good for riding in "normal" shoes, and they are a very cost
effective solution. But after going clipless, I wouldn't go back to
PGs... Combo platform/clipless are a good way to start. Watch
for closeout/discontinue sales on SPD-compatible shoes. (LBS,
Nashbar, Sierra Trading Post, REI Outlet, etc.) I spent less than
$60 total on my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.

I keep my cleat retention adjustment fairly loose. It is easier for
me to get out of clipless than it was with my Power Grips and
some lugged sole shoes. My MTB-labeled shoes are reasonably
comfortable for walking and look "normal".

Jon Meinecke

I'm a cruiser, not a performance rider. If I were looking for
performance I'd
go clipless. I have been in one spill where, if I'd have been
clipless, I would
have been injured. With the slings I was not.

For me, as you say: "Basically, if the idea's only
to keep the feet from slipping off"............. so from 2001:

To stop your foot from falling off the pedal, but still have it free:

2" patio chair webbing (Walmart)
Tie it to the pedal to make a sling for your heel to hang in
You are done

This is cheap, quick, weighs nothing. Assuming that your
foot is hanging such that that ball of your foot is where it's
happy........you can also easily move it up a tad
for a temporary change if needed.

NYC XYZ wrote:
> A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
> circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
> And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
> to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
> instead of by the toe??

Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
$20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!

I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
inches from the pedal.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Mike!

How are you buddy? Back at the computer I see. Everything went well? I hope
you'll be back on wheels soon.

Jeff
(top posted for your immediate enjoyment)

"Mike Rice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On 27 Mar 2006 07:19:43 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Peter Clinch wrote:
>>>

>>> I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
>>> their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
>>> buy them any more...

>>Actually, the way class-action lawsuits work (an individual suit really
>>doesn't matter most of the time) is that you need a lawyer who thinks
>>there's money in it. I doubt the number of Power Grips customers, many
>>of whom are satisfied, whets any attorney's appetite.
>>
>>Besides, it was how many years before anyone thought to sue Big
>>Tobacco, much less really pursue it?
>>
>>And I don't suppose this 'bent dealer meant it literally, but that was
>>the main idea of his statements, that Power Grips are physiologically
>>bad for one's feet.
>>

> I am a satisfied user of the PowerGrips.
>
> I went to PowerGrips from clipless because the clipless were starting
> to bother my knees. Maybe a brand with more float wouldn't have this
> effect, but I also like being able to wear my work shoes on my
> cummute.
>
> I ride a Tour Easy, with a fairly upright riding position. IIRC you
> have a trike. The BB position on your ride might make clipless a
> better option, since you can slip out of the PowerGrips if not worn
> very tight.
>
> Indiana Mike

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:43:07 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mike!
>
>How are you buddy? Back at the computer I see. Everything went well? I hope
>you'll be back on wheels soon.
>
>Jeff
>(top posted for your immediate enjoyment)

Surgery went very well, got me three by-passes and a 14" rotor rooter,
yee-haw!

They kicked me out of the hospital after three-and-a-half days and
recovery is going well. I'm walking about 3/4 mile now (17 days after
surgery), and should be in good condition for the up-coming morel
mushroom hunting season, which will be coming up around here in four
more weeks. This will be the first season I'll be able to spend time
in the woods without having to worry about going to work. I scheduled
my procedure with this in mind, I should be released to return to work
about the time the morel season is running out.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be riding anytime soon. The biggest
danger for the next month or two is injuring my sternum, witch was
sawn open to give the md access. The Tour Easy is a great bike, but if
I hit an uneven spot it can easily (and *very* quickly) throw me down
sidewise. Most of the time this has happened it was more comical than
injurious, but I can't afford to risk it until my chest is healed, and
bones take a while. Too bad I don't have a trike handy.

Thanks for your concern, how is your own recovery progressing?

Mike

A Muzi wrote:

> Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
> shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
> you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
> my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
> and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
> $20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!
>
> I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
> inches from the pedal.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
never heard of this before.

I suppose I'll go clipless soon enough thereafter...we'll. But first
things first.

Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

NYC XYZ wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
>>

>> Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
>> shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
>> you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
>> my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
>> and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
>> $20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!
>>
>> I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
>> inches from the pedal.
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> www.yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
> generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
> to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
> never heard of this before.
>
> I suppose I'll go clipless soon enough thereafter...we'll. But first
> things first.
>
> Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

Yes. Trunk Monkeys. Be very afraid.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm a cruiser, not a performance rider. If I were looking for
> performance I'd
> go clipless. I have been in one spill where, if I'd have been
> clipless, I would
> have been injured. With the slings I was not.

Oh dear, this is getting as bad as "a helmet saved my life!" How do you
*know* you'd be injured in clipless pedals? Did you do a control
experiment?

I'm a cruiser, not a performance rider, and I use clipless. They're
easier to get in and out and they're more efficient at transferring
power to the pedals.

Pete.
--

NYC XYZ wrote:

> Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
> generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise.

Using pedals is pretty much independent of whether you're on a 'bent or
anything else, so I don't really see that's a big factor.

Pete.
--

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
> generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
> to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
> never heard of this before.

"So, Mr Velomobile Dealer Sir, how many miles did you ride with PG, and
for how many years? How exactly did they deform your feet?"

I added them to my town ATB right after I participated in an IPMBA
session and admired them on the pedals of all those men in uniform.
That was...at least ten years ago.

[looks at feet] Yep, deformed. But that was probably more due to
picking the wrong parents and growing up in the pointy toe era.

> Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

Gitcher tin foil hat on post-haste.

HTH

--Karen D.

"Street cred," IOW. His are impeccable. He is bike culture. (Not
IMHO, but that's the appearance.)

Veloise wrote:

> "So, Mr Velomobile Dealer Sir, how many miles did you ride with PG, and
> for how many years? How exactly did they deform your feet?"

I guess in the same way bad shoes like heels on women could...?

> I added them to my town ATB right after I participated in an IPMBA
> session and admired them on the pedals of all those men in uniform.
> That was...at least ten years ago.

I'll give 'em a try, too...probably will graduate to real
clips/clipless(es?) some time later.

> [looks at feet] Yep, deformed. But that was probably more due to
> picking the wrong parents and growing up in the pointy toe era.

Well, you've just flushed your class-action lawsuit down the drain.

Say, did anyone in the US get notice of a class-action suit against
microsoft in the mail recently??

> Gitcher tin foil hat on post-haste.

No, I will not start that helmet debate again!

NYC XYZ wrote:
> "Street cred," IOW. His are impeccable. He is bike culture. (Not
> IMHO, but that's the appearance.)

Gotta love it! When a single point of information is probably best, you
ask as many people as possible, and when the widest sample base possible
is most use you go on a single anecdote! ;-/

I've never heard anything from PG users saying they had their feet
deformed. Google isn't screaming problems either, so "bike culture" or
not, his anecdote doesn't seem to have much backing.

Pete.