Power Grips Deform Feet?!?!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by NYC XYZ, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

    And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
    to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
    instead of by the toe??

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

    I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
    their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
    buy them any more...

    > And are there such things as heel clips?

    Sort of: Hase have various disability modifications available and a
    pedal with a heel clamp is one of them IIRC.

    > Basically, if the idea's only
    > to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
    > instead of by the toe??

    Because that is only part of the idea, which is to give you better
    pedalling efficiency. For which clipless pedals remain the best
    solution in most cases.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

    Good grief.

  4. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Tim McNamara wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    > > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

    > Good grief.

    I was wondering this myself. But the guy's a respected 'bent-head,
    riding a Velomobile himself, and is a jet-setting mechanical engineer
    for Siemens in his day job. I'm sure he didn't mean actual permanent
    deformity, but that's really the gist of his remarks on Power Grips.

  5. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
    > their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
    > buy them any more...

    Actually, the way class-action lawsuits work (an individual suit really
    doesn't matter most of the time) is that you need a lawyer who thinks
    there's money in it. I doubt the number of Power Grips customers, many
    of whom are satisfied, whets any attorney's appetite.

    Besides, it was how many years before anyone thought to sue Big
    Tobacco, much less really pursue it?

    And I don't suppose this 'bent dealer meant it literally, but that was
    the main idea of his statements, that Power Grips are physiologically
    bad for one's feet.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On 27 Mar 2006 07:19:43 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Peter Clinch wrote:
    >>

    >> I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
    >> their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
    >> buy them any more...

    >Actually, the way class-action lawsuits work (an individual suit really
    >doesn't matter most of the time) is that you need a lawyer who thinks
    >there's money in it. I doubt the number of Power Grips customers, many
    >of whom are satisfied, whets any attorney's appetite.
    >
    >Besides, it was how many years before anyone thought to sue Big
    >Tobacco, much less really pursue it?
    >
    >And I don't suppose this 'bent dealer meant it literally, but that was
    >the main idea of his statements, that Power Grips are physiologically
    >bad for one's feet.

    I am a satisfied user of the PowerGrips.

    I went to PowerGrips from clipless because the clipless were starting
    to bother my knees. Maybe a brand with more float wouldn't have this
    effect, but I also like being able to wear my work shoes on my
    cummute.

    I ride a Tour Easy, with a fairly upright riding position. IIRC you
    have a trike. The BB position on your ride might make clipless a
    better option, since you can slip out of the PowerGrips if not worn
    very tight.

    Indiana Mike

  7. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    Power Grips are diagonal to the pedal--the foot has to be inserted at an
    angle, with the heel outward. As the foot is straightened, the strap
    tightens. When I used them (not on a bent), I found that it was possible to
    get them slightly too tight, so that after riding for a few miles, my feet
    started to lose circulation. I would have to rotate my heels slightly
    outward for comfort.

    On a bent, the tightness needed to keep the feet from slipping down is
    PROBABLY greater than needed on an upright for regular pedaling, so, as the
    feet get numb, and the rider rotates the heel for comfort, there would be a
    loss of the vertical support for which the strap was originally chosen.
    (Please note that I said "probably," so I am aware that this is just a
    theory--but, I think, a reasonable one to consider.)

  8. Jon  Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!

    Run away! Run away! %^)

    I used PG's for a number of years without discomfort or circulatory
    issues.

    They would have to be very tight to cause such dire consequences.
    The amount of tightness from PGs is self limiting since the amount
    of compression is limited by the angle and the insertion characteristics.
    They can only apply an incremental amount of compression and
    they have to be loose enough to get your shoe in to begin with.

    PGs are good for riding in "normal" shoes, and they are a very cost
    effective solution. But after going clipless, I wouldn't go back to
    PGs... Combo platform/clipless are a good way to start. Watch
    for closeout/discontinue sales on SPD-compatible shoes. (LBS,
    Nashbar, Sierra Trading Post, REI Outlet, etc.) I spent less than
    $60 total on my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.

    I keep my cleat retention adjustment fairly loose. It is easier for
    me to get out of clipless than it was with my Power Grips and
    some lugged sole shoes. My MTB-labeled shoes are reasonably
    comfortable for walking and look "normal".

    Jon Meinecke

  9. I'm a cruiser, not a performance rider. If I were looking for
    performance I'd
    go clipless. I have been in one spill where, if I'd have been
    clipless, I would
    have been injured. With the slings I was not.

    For me, as you say: "Basically, if the idea's only
    to keep the feet from slipping off"............. so from 2001:

    To stop your foot from falling off the pedal, but still have it free:

    2" patio chair webbing (Walmart)
    Tie it to the pedal to make a sling for your heel to hang in
    You are done

    This is cheap, quick, weighs nothing. Assuming that your
    foot is hanging such that that ball of your foot is where it's
    happy........you can also easily move it up a tad
    for a temporary change if needed.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > A 'bent dealer told me that those Power Grips straps can cut off
    > circulation and will actually deform the feet after prolonged use!
    > And are there such things as heel clips? Basically, if the idea's only
    > to keep the feet from slipping off, why not have straps at the heel
    > instead of by the toe??

    Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
    shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
    you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
    my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
    and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
    $20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!

    I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
    inches from the pedal.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  11. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    Mike!

    How are you buddy? Back at the computer I see. Everything went well? I hope
    you'll be back on wheels soon.

    Jeff
    (top posted for your immediate enjoyment)

    "Mike Rice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On 27 Mar 2006 07:19:43 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Peter Clinch wrote:
    >>>

    >>> I imagine if PGs deformed feet then the manufacturer would have had
    >>> their asses sued so far out of business by now you wouldn't be able to
    >>> buy them any more...

    >>Actually, the way class-action lawsuits work (an individual suit really
    >>doesn't matter most of the time) is that you need a lawyer who thinks
    >>there's money in it. I doubt the number of Power Grips customers, many
    >>of whom are satisfied, whets any attorney's appetite.
    >>
    >>Besides, it was how many years before anyone thought to sue Big
    >>Tobacco, much less really pursue it?
    >>
    >>And I don't suppose this 'bent dealer meant it literally, but that was
    >>the main idea of his statements, that Power Grips are physiologically
    >>bad for one's feet.
    >>

    > I am a satisfied user of the PowerGrips.
    >
    > I went to PowerGrips from clipless because the clipless were starting
    > to bother my knees. Maybe a brand with more float wouldn't have this
    > effect, but I also like being able to wear my work shoes on my
    > cummute.
    >
    > I ride a Tour Easy, with a fairly upright riding position. IIRC you
    > have a trike. The BB position on your ride might make clipless a
    > better option, since you can slip out of the PowerGrips if not worn
    > very tight.
    >
    > Indiana Mike

  12. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:43:07 -0500, "Jeff Grippe" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Mike!
    >
    >How are you buddy? Back at the computer I see. Everything went well? I hope
    >you'll be back on wheels soon.
    >
    >Jeff
    >(top posted for your immediate enjoyment)

    Surgery went very well, got me three by-passes and a 14" rotor rooter,
    yee-haw!

    They kicked me out of the hospital after three-and-a-half days and
    recovery is going well. I'm walking about 3/4 mile now (17 days after
    surgery), and should be in good condition for the up-coming morel
    mushroom hunting season, which will be coming up around here in four
    more weeks. This will be the first season I'll be able to spend time
    in the woods without having to worry about going to work. I scheduled
    my procedure with this in mind, I should be released to return to work
    about the time the morel season is running out.

    Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be riding anytime soon. The biggest
    danger for the next month or two is injuring my sternum, witch was
    sawn open to give the md access. The Tour Easy is a great bike, but if
    I hit an uneven spot it can easily (and *very* quickly) throw me down
    sidewise. Most of the time this has happened it was more comical than
    injurious, but I can't afford to risk it until my chest is healed, and
    bones take a while. Too bad I don't have a trike handy.

    Thanks for your concern, how is your own recovery progressing?

    Mike

    >"Mike Rice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p[email protected]
    >> On 27 Mar 2006 07:19:43 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Actually, the way class-action lawsuits work (an individual suit really
    >>>doesn't matter most of the time) is that you need a lawyer who thinks
    >>>there's money in it. I doubt the number of Power Grips customers, many
    >>>of whom are satisfied, whets any attorney's appetite.
    >>>
    >>>Besides, it was how many years before anyone thought to sue Big
    >>>Tobacco, much less really pursue it?
    >>>
    >>>And I don't suppose this 'bent dealer meant it literally, but that was
    >>>the main idea of his statements, that Power Grips are physiologically
    >>>bad for one's feet.
    >>>

    >> I am a satisfied user of the PowerGrips.
    >>
    >> I went to PowerGrips from clipless because the clipless were starting
    >> to bother my knees. Maybe a brand with more float wouldn't have this
    >> effect, but I also like being able to wear my work shoes on my
    >> cummute.
    >>
    >> I ride a Tour Easy, with a fairly upright riding position. IIRC you
    >> have a trike. The BB position on your ride might make clipless a
    >> better option, since you can slip out of the PowerGrips if not worn
    >> very tight.
    >>
    >> Indiana Mike

  13. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    > Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
    > shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
    > you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
    > my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
    > and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
    > $20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!
    >
    > I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
    > inches from the pedal.
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi
    > www.yellowjersey.org
    > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
    generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
    to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
    never heard of this before.

    I suppose I'll go clipless soon enough thereafter...we'll. But first
    things first.

    Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

  14. NYC XYZ wrote:
    > A Muzi wrote:
    >>

    >> Right. And when you ask about a bicycle not sold at that
    >> shop they respond "Those? Oh, yeah they break". What makes
    >> you think they have seen a Power Grip before? Cheap shot in
    >> my opinion. I don't care for Power Grips but some riders do
    >> and that's all within the realm of taste. A pretty harmless
    >> $20 adventure IMHO. Try 'em!
    >>
    >> I wouldn't know about heel clips. My heels are several
    >> inches from the pedal.
    >> --
    >> Andrew Muzi
    >> www.yellowjersey.org
    >> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    > Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
    > generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
    > to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
    > never heard of this before.
    >
    > I suppose I'll go clipless soon enough thereafter...we'll. But first
    > things first.
    >
    > Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

    Yes. Trunk Monkeys. Be very afraid.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  15. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm a cruiser, not a performance rider. If I were looking for
    > performance I'd
    > go clipless. I have been in one spill where, if I'd have been
    > clipless, I would
    > have been injured. With the slings I was not.

    Oh dear, this is getting as bad as "a helmet saved my life!" How do you
    *know* you'd be injured in clipless pedals? Did you do a control
    experiment?

    I'm a cruiser, not a performance rider, and I use clipless. They're
    easier to get in and out and they're more efficient at transferring
    power to the pedals.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:

    > Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
    > generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise.

    Using pedals is pretty much independent of whether you're on a 'bent or
    anything else, so I don't really see that's a big factor.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  17. Veloise

    Veloise Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Right. It's only that the guy's on a Velomobile himself and is
    > generally respected in the area for his 'bent expertise. I was going
    > to try them anyway, but I was curious what folks thought, since I'd
    > never heard of this before.

    "So, Mr Velomobile Dealer Sir, how many miles did you ride with PG, and
    for how many years? How exactly did they deform your feet?"

    I added them to my town ATB right after I participated in an IPMBA
    session and admired them on the pedals of all those men in uniform.
    That was...at least ten years ago.

    [looks at feet] Yep, deformed. But that was probably more due to
    picking the wrong parents and growing up in the pointy toe era.

    > Geez...I wonder if there's anything else I should know about! =)

    Gitcher tin foil hat on post-haste.

    HTH

    --Karen D.

  18. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    "Street cred," IOW. His are impeccable. He is bike culture. (Not
    IMHO, but that's the appearance.)

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > Using pedals is pretty much independent of whether you're on a 'bent or
    > anything else, so I don't really see that's a big factor.
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  19. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Veloise wrote:

    > "So, Mr Velomobile Dealer Sir, how many miles did you ride with PG, and
    > for how many years? How exactly did they deform your feet?"

    I guess in the same way bad shoes like heels on women could...?

    > I added them to my town ATB right after I participated in an IPMBA
    > session and admired them on the pedals of all those men in uniform.
    > That was...at least ten years ago.

    I'll give 'em a try, too...probably will graduate to real
    clips/clipless(es?) some time later.

    > [looks at feet] Yep, deformed. But that was probably more due to
    > picking the wrong parents and growing up in the pointy toe era.

    Well, you've just flushed your class-action lawsuit down the drain.

    Say, did anyone in the US get notice of a class-action suit against
    microsoft in the mail recently??

    > Gitcher tin foil hat on post-haste.

    No, I will not start that helmet debate again!

    > HTH
    >
    > --Karen D.

  20. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > "Street cred," IOW. His are impeccable. He is bike culture. (Not
    > IMHO, but that's the appearance.)

    Gotta love it! When a single point of information is probably best, you
    ask as many people as possible, and when the widest sample base possible
    is most use you go on a single anecdote! ;-/

    I've never heard anything from PG users saying they had their feet
    deformed. Google isn't screaming problems either, so "bike culture" or
    not, his anecdote doesn't seem to have much backing.

    Pete.