Power Grips

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rob Rudeski, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi All,

    I wondering about the pros and cons of these things. On the surface, they look like a good idea. I'm
    debating between these, Frogs, and Eggbeaters. Obviously, the Power Grips are the lowest cost to
    implement, but are there advantages other than that, or is that the only advantage?

    Rob

    Tags:

  2. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Before I get flamed for poor grammar, I meant open with "I'm wondering..." not "I wondering..."

    Rob

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I wondering about the pros and cons of these things. On the surface, they look like a good idea.
    > I'm debating between these, Frogs, and Eggbeaters. Obviously, the Power Grips are the lowest cost
    > to implement, but are there advantages other than that, or is that the only advantage?
    >
    > Rob

  3. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    GAH!!

    Ignore the grammar!

    Rob

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Before I get flamed for poor grammar, I meant open with "I'm wondering..." not "I wondering..."
    >
    > Rob
    >

    > "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I wondering about the pros and cons of these things. On the surface,
    they
    > > look like a good idea. I'm debating between these, Frogs, and
    Eggbeaters.
    > > Obviously, the Power Grips are the lowest cost to implement, but are
    there
    > > advantages other than that, or is that the only advantage?
    > >
    > > Rob

  4. Ya want a list? Easy to get in/out. No Cleats. Works with most walking/running shoes. No special
    pedals needed....some Plastic Pedals do not work well though. Low cost. Easy to replace worn straps.
    Fits most shoe sizes. Colors similar to bent frame colors. Good for anyone feeling uneasy about
    riding with clip-in Pedals. Can't think of any others, I use Power Grips on my Tadpole(s), but ONLY
    in Winter.

    Speaking of Winter folks...tonite: Minus 25 with Minus 40 Celsius windchill with 40-60 Kph winds and
    I just came home from an evening ride and Monday I ride 16 miles Brrrrrrrrr

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I wondering about the pros and cons of these things. On the surface, they look like a good idea.
    > I'm debating between these, Frogs, and Eggbeaters. Obviously, the Power Grips are the lowest cost
    > to implement, but are there advantages other than that, or is that the only advantage?
    >
    > Rob

  5. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Joshua:

    Yeah, but it's March. Just around the corner. :)

    --
    --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

    > Ya want a list? Easy to get in/out. No Cleats. Works with most walking/running shoes. No special
    > pedals needed....some Plastic Pedals do not work well though. Low cost. Easy to replace worn
    > straps. Fits most shoe sizes. Colors similar to bent frame colors. Good for anyone feeling uneasy
    > about riding with clip-in Pedals. Can't think of any others, I use Power Grips on my Tadpole(s),
    > but ONLY in Winter.
    >
    > Speaking of Winter folks...tonite: Minus 25 with Minus 40 Celsius
    windchill
    > with 40-60 Kph winds and I just came home from an evening ride and Monday
    > ride 16 miles Brrrrrrrrr
    >
    > "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I wondering about the pros and cons of these things. On the surface,
    they
    > > look like a good idea. I'm debating between these, Frogs, and
    Eggbeaters.
    > > Obviously, the Power Grips are the lowest cost to implement, but are
    there
    > > advantages other than that, or is that the only advantage?
    > >
    > > Rob

  6. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I agree with Josh's evaluation. After five years 'bent, I am at last riding clipless. Until now I
    had Power Grips on the bike. I enjoyed the little burst of speed available by just thinking ,"knees
    up, knees up." Would add a mile per hour or two.

    > Ya want a list? Easy to get in/out. No Cleats. Works with most walking/running shoes. No special
    > pedals needed....some Plastic Pedals do not work well though. Low cost. Easy to replace worn
    > straps. Fits most shoe sizes. Colors similar to bent frame colors. Good for anyone feeling uneasy
    > about riding with clip-in Pedals. Can't think of any others, I use Power Grips on my Tadpole(s),
    > but ONLY in Winter.
    >
    > Speaking of Winter folks...tonite: Minus 25 with Minus 40 Celsius
    windchill
    > with 40-60 Kph winds and I just came home from an evening ride and Monday
    > ride 16 miles Brrrrrrrrr
    >
    > "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I wondering about the pros and cons of these things. On the surface,
    they
    > > look like a good idea. I'm debating between these, Frogs, and
    Eggbeaters.
    > > Obviously, the Power Grips are the lowest cost to implement, but are
    there
    > > advantages other than that, or is that the only advantage?
    > >
    > > Rob

  7. Brian Rost

    Brian Rost Guest

    Doug Huffman wrote:

    > I agree with Josh's evaluation. After five years 'bent, I am at last riding clipless. Until now I
    > had Power Grips on the bike. I enjoyed the little burst of speed available by just thinking
    > ,"knees up, knees up." Would add a mile per hour or two.

    Another Power Grips fan here.

    After years of using clips and straps on my DF, I was very uncomfortable pedaling my bent until I
    installed the PGs.

    Going clipless might be even better, but I have never liked dealing with cycling shoes (my loss, I
    suppose) and PGs are prefect for me.

    --

    Brian Rost
    Stargen, Inc.

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Brian says...

    >Another Power Grips fan here.
    >
    >After years of using clips and straps on my DF, I was very uncomfortable pedaling my bent until I
    >installed the PGs.
    >
    >Going clipless might be even better, but I have never liked dealing with cycling shoes (my loss, I
    >suppose) and PGs are prefect for me.

    If you are using plain pedals or toe clips, or can't bear the thought of going clipless, by all
    means give Power Grips a try, as they may work for you. But I found the restriction of movement to
    be terrible for my knees, so for me they made things worse. And they never felt any where near as
    secure as clipless.

    How many riders out there, who have actually ridden clipless for awhile, have gone back to Power
    Grips? I'll bet not many.

    Steve Christensen Vision VR-42 with Frogs

  9. On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Steve Christensen wrote:

    > How many riders out there, who have actually ridden clipless for awhile, have gone back to Power
    > Grips? I'll bet not many.

    I guess I count as one. One advantage of Power Grips that hasn't been cited yet is that they can be
    adjusted so you have not only angular float but fore-aft flexibility in your foot positioning.

    Kent Peterson Issaquah WA USA http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

  10. Kent Peterson wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Steve Christensen wrote:
    >
    > > How many riders out there, who have actually ridden clipless for awhile, have gone back to Power
    > > Grips? I'll bet not many.
    >
    > I guess I count as one. One advantage of Power Grips that hasn't been cited yet is that they can
    > be adjusted so you have not only angular float but fore-aft flexibility in your foot positioning.
    >
    > Kent Peterson Issaquah WA USA http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/rando.html

    Me too. Clipless pedals caused foot pain. And the shoes were an another kind of pain to deal with.
    Lot more flexibility with Power Grips, anatomically and functionally.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and security may come at a substantial
    price in freedom, that law and order can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual
    liberties surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost." Walter Cronkite, in the preface to
    the 1984 edition of 1984

  11. Don Nace

    Don Nace Guest

    I have 6 recumbents with Power Grips on all of them. The Power Grips work fine. Easy to get in and
    out of and you can adjust how tight they are by moving your foot in or out a little bit. If you wear
    thick or large size shoes, I would get the longer Power Grips. The only place I have seen the longer
    ones for sale is on the Power Grips web site. "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I wondering about the pros and cons of these things. On the surface, they look like a good idea.
    > I'm debating between these, Frogs, and Eggbeaters. Obviously, the Power Grips are the lowest cost
    > to implement, but are there advantages other than that, or is that the only advantage?
    >
    > Rob

  12. U have 6 bents with Power Grips....your LBS must have U on their Xmas Card mailing list. Hell, you
    move to a new time zone and your LBS will go belly up.

    I prefer wearing Lake cleated Sandals in summer and the Power Grips tended to act like sandpaper
    on bare skin. So I limit their use to winter riding, but this summer I may leave the PGs on and
    wear socks.
    "Don Nace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have 6 recumbents with Power Grips on all of them. The Power Grips work fine. Easy to get in and
    > out of and you can adjust how tight they are by moving your foot in or out a little bit. If you
    > wear thick or large size shoes, I would get the longer Power Grips. The only place I have seen the
    > longer ones for sale is on the Power Grips web site. "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I wondering about the pros and cons of these things. On the surface,
    they
    > > look like a good idea. I'm debating between these, Frogs, and
    Eggbeaters.
    > > Obviously, the Power Grips are the lowest cost to implement, but are
    there
    > > advantages other than that, or is that the only advantage?
    > >
    > > Rob

  13. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    I haven't 'gone back' to them but I continue to use them sometimes, in addition to Frogs.

    PGs work well and are very nice when riding in an urban area. If you suddenly find yourself in an
    unfortable situation you can drop your feet out of them without that fraction of a second of pure
    panic associated with an emergency release from clipless pedals. There is absolutely nothing that
    can go wrong with them. Realizing at a subconcious level that you can always get your feet on the
    ground FAST, you relax an additional increment.

    You have to fiddle with the strap adjustment untill they get nice and snug as you rotate your feet
    into the normal pedaling position. They aren't quite as efficient as the Frogs, especially when
    pounding your way up a hill, but - close enough.

    I recommened them without hesitation.

    > How many riders out there, who have actually ridden clipless for awhile,
    have
    > gone back to Power Grips? I'll bet not many.

  14. Brian Hughes

    Brian Hughes Guest

    Well in my never ending quest for more speed, I recently switched from PowerGrips to Clipless on my
    Tailwind. Do I go any faster now? No, not really anything noticeable.

    helps. But my wife says she doesn't want me to go any faster... :-(

    Brian Tailwind and VRex

    "Brian Rost" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Doug Huffman wrote:
    > >
    > > I agree with Josh's evaluation. After five years 'bent, I am at last
    riding
    > > clipless. Until now I had Power Grips on the bike. I enjoyed the
    little
    > > burst of speed available by just thinking ,"knees up, knees up." Would
    add
    > > a mile per hour or two.
    > >

    > Another Power Grips fan here.
    >
    > After years of using clips and straps on my DF, I was very uncomfortable pedaling my bent until I
    > installed the PGs.
    >
    > Going clipless might be even better, but I have never liked dealing with cycling shoes (my loss, I
    > suppose) and PGs are prefect for me.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian Rost
    > Stargen, Inc.

  15. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I have Shimano PD-M747's (mountain bike double-sided pedals), and Shimano mountain bike shoes (you can walk normally in them). Both are extraordinarily comfortable (proper fit and adjustment are crucial).

    I keep the tension loose, so that I can release if I panic (which I've done twice - but never tipped - whew). You can also get multi-release cleats that will release from any direction.

    I just love the efficiency they provide. You just have to remind yourself to unclip whenever you stop, that's all.
    R2