Power Interval Target Range

kaparzo

Apr 5, 2007
Just wondering what people target as a percentage of threshold for their 1-3min Power Intervals. I'm thinking between 120-130 percent. Thanks for the help.

kaparzo said:
Just wondering what people target as a percentage of threshold for their 1-3min Power Intervals. I'm thinking between 120-130 percent. Thanks for the help.
When I do L6 intervals I target 125-150% of FTP and the durations range from 2 minutes at the most to 45 seconds at the short end.

I don't try to hold my L6 efforts for more than 2 minutes as that's getting into VO2 Max range and then I'll be shooting for 3 to 6 minutes at 110-120% of FTP.

-Dave

+1 to what Dave said wrt L6 duration.

Your target intensity (as a % of FTP) is going to vary some from individual to individual. What I do is perform a test of an appropriate duration (1-2 min's in this case) and target 90% of that maximal effort for training. I find out real quickly whether it's too high or too low and adjust accordingly.

Dave

Intervals in the ~1 minute range don't get a target range from me. I do them as just under maximal effort for the duration, and quit when I can't beat 150% FTP for the interval average power.

I'm with Dave on not really doing intervals between ~2-4min. It's either shorter or longer, but not in between.