power intervals to 125%to failure

You mean ending when power drops <125% FT, or death? :p

I've tried a 1-min Max Power test, and power was still nearly 200% FT at the end of the minute, but I kinda ran out of hill at the end. I probably had a good 30sec left to 'failure'. :eek:

Old Junker said:
has anyone tried intervals to 125% of 40ktt to failure, meaning as long as possible
I was planning to do just that, eh well, with the exception that I wanted to ramp it up to this level. Same principle as a max test. But at first, I may do 3 of these, and really push to failure on the last one, (but that is because I am a chicken).

My goal is to improve my ability to train at L5.

I've seen national team protocols, looks like this would be 7-8 minutes. For some of us, 125% FT is MAP on a conconi test (or close)...so our best time at CP (critical power) is basically the end of a VO2Max interval.

Old Junker said:
has anyone tried intervals to 125% of 40ktt to failure, meaning as long as possible
I was doing 5 x 4 min. intervals at 120% last summer, but I never tried one to failure. For a one time effort, at 125%, I would guess I could last 5-6 min. Latley I have been doing 2 min. repeats at 150%.

postal_bag said:
I was doing 5 x 4 min. intervals at 120% last summer, but I never tried one to failure. For a one time effort, at 125%, I would guess I could last 5-6 min. Latley I have been doing 2 min. repeats at 150%.

those 2 minutes at 150% are killer have you seen any watt increases in your 2 minute efforts? my thought was that if i continuosly tried to get to failure about 300w that it would eventually 1) go up 10w or, 2) go up +2minutes, or 3) die trying

Old Junker said:
those 2 minutes at 150% are killer have you seen any watt increases in your 2 minute efforts? my thought was that if i continuosly tried to get to failure about 300w that it would eventually 1) go up 10w or, 2) go up +2minutes, or 3) die trying
I haven't tried them at any higher levels. I was doing 1' on 1' off at 150% once a week, 2 sets of 6. Now I'm doing 2' on 3' off at 150%, 1 set of 6. I'm not really trying to train this area, it's just to get my legs ready before I go into my vo2 max stage. Hopefully the 4' intervals at 120% will seem easier to endure, especially if I include a couple of those 1' efforts in my warm-up.;)

Old Junker said:

What do you hope to improve by doing such efforts and when in the preparation for the goal event would you include them?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
What do you hope to improve by doing such efforts and when in the preparation for the goal event would you include them?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach
i would hope to increase mspo maximum sustainable power output, it would be in season until increases plataeu