Power loss from time off/sickness

Blackie

Feb 26, 2003
Has anyone personal experience of how much their watts fell after time off, or know of any papers relating to this?

I'm curious as I've returned from a 2 week lay off with a chesty cold (and the week prior to that was an easy recovery week) and see my power down by around 20% on 5min and under efforts - was too tired to try a FT test. You could put it down to still having the cold, but I've been sympton free for about 4 days and have been riding at a low level in that time. I'm not worried, and am sure it will bounce back, but am curious. I think I've read that anaerobic power is the first to go, then later endurance.

Cheers

I contracted mono and had to take about 10 days off the bike.

FT numbers didnt go down. I felt that I lost a little bit of my top end, e.g. short anaerobic efforts, but didn't do any testing to prove this. I was happy to see that my FT wasnt compromised, and didn't bother to test from there. I still have symptoms of mono, but it doesn't seem to massively effect my riding... I just feel tired every other moment of the day ;) :rolleyes:

This may not be as related but i got hit by a car last sept, and basically took 3-4 months off the bike. After warming back up to cycling in feb with a bit of commuting and then easing into my rollers, i did a MAP test in march and found i hit 325w, when last summer i topped out at 350w. Not to bad a result for 4 months off the bike.A Month and a half later, i'm still working on getting my endurance and sustainable power, aswell as sprinting power back up where it was at the end of last season.

To a certain extent your body can use to the time to really recover, but if you're sick that might skue the results. But based on my past experience there's about a 4:1 bounce back time involved, with most absences. Take a Week off cycling completely, might take you, a day at recovery pace, another at steady pace to have your legs woken back up for a race on the thrid day back in the saddle.

Purely my opinion though.