Power meter survey

BarryR

Nov 19, 2008
We’re running an online survey of views and opinions related to power meters. This is similar to a survey you may remember we did a few years ago. Even if you don’t have a power meter, or don't believe in them, we'd like you to consider doing the survey. It’s open to all cyclists, of any persuasion and any level, and everyone who completes the survey can enter a draw to win one of two Garmin Edge 510 bike computers. The survey runs until 8th April 2013. See www.brimbrothers.com/survey

Barry,
Could you define 'calibrate' in terms of how you used it in your survey?

Seems to me you're talking about a zeroing process but not an actual PM slope calibration that statically validates the PM accuracy. Maybe there's some technology you've developed that actually supports a field calibration but coming from some very bad Ergomo experiences the ability to field calibrate or at least statically validate calibration accuracy with known weights is pretty important.

-Dave

The non-specific questions in the survey are not intended to imply anything about the Zone.

Ability to verify zero and/or slope is important to some people, but non technically minded people probably want it to "just work". We're hoping the survey responses will help us judge what the general attitude is to things like that.

Originally Posted by BarryR .

The non-specific questions in the survey are not intended to imply anything about the Zone.

Ability to verify zero and/or slope is important to some people, but non technically minded people probably want it to "just work". We're hoping the survey responses will help us judge what the general attitude is to things like that.
Fair enough, just that in the test and measurement world the term 'calibration' has specific meaning but in the commercial power meter world that word has often been assigned a much looser meaning of 'zeroing'. For those that care about absolute accuracy the terms mean very different things.

But I get what you're saying, some buyers might be less concerned about absolute accuracy and it's a survey not a technical spec. after all.

-Dave

Originally Posted by BarryR .

We’re running an online survey of views and opinions related to power meters.
You are just trying to sell your power meters. I don't have a problem with that, but ...

A pedal based power meter with speedplay pedals would be fantastic /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Do you know what the price range will be?

The price questions are impossible to answer really until we have independent reviews of the performance and quality. If it doesnt do well in tests and reviews then it doesnt matter how you price it frankly....

Originally Posted by Bigpikle .

The price questions are impossible to answer really until we have independent reviews of the performance and quality. If it doesnt do well in tests and reviews then it doesnt matter how you price it frankly....
Exactly.

I happen to think the Zone has missed it's optimal window. I was on a preorder list a year and a half ago and have since moved on and just bought something different. The technology to provide an inexpensive and practical (i.e can be move from bike to bike with little hassle) is moving too fast and they are moving to slow to get an actual product to the market. Just my $.02

FYI, there is a Brim Brothers blog on which you can read about their progress. They have been making steady progress it seems, even if it that progress isn't as quick as some would like. I think slow and deliberate is better than promises and vaporware. I don't think Brim Brothers has missed a window of opportunity but rather think that window is still open. Neither Polar/Look's power pedals nor the promised Garmin Vectors have/will hit the price range many had hoped that pedal based solutions would hit. Also, there's still a yawning chasm that a non-wheel based, relatively inexpensive power meter could fill. After all, Power2Max is about the cheapest crank solution, and they are priced around $1400-1500 or more. The Stages power meter comes in at about $700 IF you have the cranks with which they are compatible. If you don't, then you have to buy the cranks, and that will add another $500-700 or so. I think Brim Brothers is on to something, and that something could turn out to be easily extendable to other pedal platforms: Look, Time, Keywin, Shimano (please!).....