Power meter vs. heart rate monitor.

Sep 30, 2017
Power meters seem to be the big thing right now. Until their price goes down, I won't be getting one, but are they really better for training? The argument for power meters is that they show changes in effort almost immediately, whereas your heart rate lags behind. Also, your power output isn't affected by temperature and caffeine intake, like your heart rate is. By that, I mean if you are making 120 watts, it's 120 watts no matter what the temperature or what you've been eating.
The problem I see with the power meter, other than the cost, is it isn't showing what is actually going on with your heart, which could be dangerous. And, as far as I know, I could be wrong, it doesn't show when you are entering your lactate threshold and anaerobic threshold, or you are approaching you maximum heart rate. I would think these are still important things to know. As far as your heart rate lagging behind what you are doing, I just anticipate that. So, if I want to increase my heart rate up to a certain number then let my heart rate go back down to a lower number to recover from the effort, I just ease off before my heart gets to the higher number then start pushing a little harder before it gets down to the lower number I want. As far as the heart rate being affected by temperature and caffeine, etc., I'm not sure it matters. I think you probably want to use the same target zones no matter. Does lactic acid start building up at a different heart rate depending on temperature or what you've ingested? I don't know the answer to that, but I doubt if it makes much difference over an extended period of time. I think it all balances out.
I think it would be best to use the two together. I think you could learn a lot from that.

If you use the power meter properly, you will know what your various threshold values are and you can therefore ride accordingly.

The thing with heart rate is that it drifts so that at constant power output your heart rate will drift upwards. This means that if you were riding to keep your heart rate constant, your work rate would be decresing with time. Heart rate also lags when you increase your work rate so it's not helpful for very short very hard intervals.

For casual riders this doesn't matter but if you are wanting to train and get faster and fitter, it does.

There are many resources and much information available on training with heart rate and power meters on the web. Here is something from The Sufferfest.

thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/heart-rate-and-training-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-but-were-afraid-to-ask

Hi, I would say you should focus on the relationship between power and heart rate, then you can really analyze data. You can work out with heart rate only or power only but it doesn't give you the whole picture.

Hey, great to see you talking about analyzing data! I totally agree, understanding the relationship between power and heart rate is vital for proper analysis. It's all about getting that complete picture, right? Whether you're training with heart rate or power alone, there's always more to consider. Keep up the good work and keep those pedals spinning! ‍♂️

Absolutely, power meters are the real deal for serious training! They give you instant feedback and don't get swayed by temp or caffeine. But, let's not forget, heart rate still matters, especially for endurance. It's another piece of the puzzle, not a replacement. And yeah, the price tag is a bummer, but hey, we can't deny their benefits. As for road cyclists, more power to ya, but don't forget, MTB is where the real fun's at! ‍♂️

Power meters are indeed valuable tools for serious training, providing real-time feedback unaffected by external factors. However, it's crucial to acknowledge that heart rate remains significant, particularly in endurance training. It complements power measurements and completes the training puzzle. While the price may be a downside, the benefits of power meters cannot be denied. Road cycling is undoubtedly a challenging and rewarding pursuit, but let's not overlook the exhilaration and thrill offered by mountain biking. Both disciplines have their unique appeal! ‍♂️

"Power meters, the ultimate truth-tellers in cycling training, huh? Sure, they're great for serious riders who can afford them. But let's not forget the good old heart rate, still pumping and persisting despite being overshadowed. And hey, mountain biking isn't just for adrenaline junkies, it's a legitimate escape from the predictability of the road. Variety is the spice of life, after all!"

Power meters, the ultimate truth-tellers, really? Sure, if you have money to burn. Meanwhile, heart rate monitors have been quietly doing their job, providing valuable data without the hefty price tag. And let's not forget about the thrill of mountain biking, it's not just about escaping the mundane, it's about the adrenaline rush and the connection with nature. So, before you dismiss the old-school methods, consider their benefits too. ;)

Power meters certainly provide real-time data, but it's worth considering that they may not be the end-all solution for training. While it's true that power output isn't affected by temperature or caffeine intake, it's also important to remember that power meters don't account for external factors such as wind resistance or road conditions. Heart rate monitors, on the other hand, can provide valuable insights into your overall fitness level and exertion. It's also worth noting that power meters can be quite expensive and may not be necessary for everyone. I encourage others to share their thoughts and experiences with both power meters and heart rate monitors.

Power meters and heart rate monitors each have unique benefits and limitations, and the choice between them ultimately depends on individual goals and budgets. While power meters offer precise, real-time data insulated from temperature and caffeine intake, they fall short in accounting for external factors like wind resistance and road conditions. On the other hand, heart rate monitors excel in gauging overall fitness and exertion levels, providing valuable insights that power meters may overlook.

Moreover, the expense of power meters can be prohibitive for many cyclists, making heart rate monitors a more accessible option. It's also worth noting that neither tool is inherently superior; rather, their utility is contingent on the specific needs and objectives of the user.

Ultimately, integrating both power meters and heart rate monitors into cycling training can yield a comprehensive understanding of one's performance, enabling cyclists to fine-tune their workouts and optimize their overall experience.