Power Meters Don't Actually Measure Power: Part I

Originally Posted by integrate .

I have burped up the mktg pitch: time shares and snuggies, must have missed it. You don't have to agree with the info, and there mere fact it has met with so much skepticism means people are thinking about it.

Power meters DO measure power, but that measurement is the effectiveness of your neuromuscular coordination and how much muscle your brain is turning on as you move. That's the point of the OP.
You just contradicted the title and the content of your first post. I suppose you wanted to be controversial to get attention.

You are however incorrect in thinking that neuromuscular coordination is the dominant factor in power production. Power come primarily from the rate at which the body can metabolize energy sources. Neuromuscular coordination is important to put power released to the ground in an efficient fashion. Better control and coordination, a smooth pedal stroke - pedaling in circles, engaging all the muscle groups have long been in the cycling training bible. This is nothing new. Many training guides suggest off the bike exercises engage the important muscles.

You are wrong because power meters do not provide an assessment of efficiency. Two physically equivalent people can generate the same power measured at the wheel, the efficient rider burns less calories, uses less power, in the process the other has a sloppy stroke and is using much more energy. The power meter outputs will not differentiate the efficient rider from the non-efficient rider.

Or consider an individual with great neuromuscular coordination but no aerobic engine. While this rider has a great efficient pedal stroke, they have little power production capacity to begin with. It is obvious that focusing only on the neuromuscular piece ignores many other factors and systems at play.

Coordination alone is not the only factor affecting efficiency, many metabolic and physical factors will affect this. I would also argue that due to the repetitive motion, constant feedback and mechanical constraints placed on a rider, that neuromuscular coordination of the pedal stroke should come naturally. The body is a wonderfully adaptive system or systems that is always seeking to perform actions in an efficient manner.

Training effectively off the bike, understanding how to foster efficiency and power in the gym are important, but it not the holy grail of power. I think oversold your theory in the beginning of this thread.

Power meters DO measure power, but that measurement is the effectiveness of your neuromuscular coordination and how much muscle your brain is turning on as you move. That's the point of the OP.
Think I'm more inclined to go along with your OP and agree that power meters are "simple" strain gages adapted to the cycling environment. ... an indirect diagnostic tool for estimating effort or performance. A power meter doesn't have to be particularly accurate to fulfill that purpose - just precise. Accuracy is only an issue if standardized comparison against others is desired.

Maybe in cases of gross mis-alignment and/or stabilization the body might limit power output through a warning system of pain and discomfort. That could certainly impact power output if not mitigated in some way. Not uncommon to shoot up some cortisone to bypass that mechanism. At the highest elite level of competition, it might make sense that alignment/stabilization issues could interfere with delivering the last few watts of power into the drive train, but not a change that is going to make johnny average rocket to the front of a pro peloton. So aren't you really talking about polishing perfection as opposed to cutting the stone?

I volunteer as a ski instructor/coach with an adaptive ski program and it is truly amazing to see the strength and power that athletes with gross alignment issues can generate. Logically not as optimal as if they didn't have the physical challenge, but certainly good enough in many cases to outperform a typical recreational skier. I do understand what you are saying about a more "rounded" neuro-muscular training program. Despite riding 4,900 miles this year, when I hit the snow for the first time 2 weekends ago, my butt ached, my quads ached, and the stabilizing minor muscle groups around my knees screamed. Cycling had not pressed those specific muscle groups into action and they were letting me know.

Originally Posted by maydog .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_%28person%29#Common_characteristics_of_cranks
Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner!

Funny thread!

Cycling prepares you very well for riding a bike, but that's it. There isn't any funcitonal carry over to anything else we do as upright humans that is improved by riding a bike.

Horse puckey. I've been a painting contractor for 15+ years. From time to time, that involves climbing ladders, sometimes all day long. Since I got back into cycling 20 months ago after a 20 year hiatus, there is a huge difference in how easily I can get my butt up a ladder.

Oh, and I can eat like a teenager again, too, without packing on the pounds. I'd say that's an improvement.

Cycling prepares you very well for riding a bike, but that's it. There isn't any funcitonal carry over to anything else we do as upright humans that is improved by riding a bike.

So presumably the reverse would also apply.