power on my iPhone?

Sounds like it yes. Link from PT hub to iPhone and then if you like you can upload to Traniningpeaks.

Juat not sure why though :)

giannip said:
Sounds like it yes. Link from PT hub to iPhone and then if you like you can upload to Traniningpeaks.

What would be neat if it was to take real time data and whilst you're out and about on the bike it would inform and incoming caller that you were riding "easy/at a brisk pace/hard/spuds out" based upon preset power levels...

giannip said:

Why? Well, potentially it makes it as least as good as the Garmin system and probably better. The Apple limits on third party app's running in the background will hamper it a bit, but maybe that will change soon. At the current rate of development for iPhone app's it will be interesting to see what people come up with for this, you have GPS, power, wifi, phone in one unit, so potentially you can transmit all your data live in real-time to a coach.

It's a good platform for getting more information on the move as well: TSS etc on the move, or an info screen for intervals. Who know what else? If you're the group leader on a club ride, wouldn't it be good to be able to get info on where all the riders are if the group splits via GPS picked up on wireless internet? A coach on the move could even see all the power data of all the riders that he's riding with. Plenty of potential.

rob of the og said:
Why? Well, potentially it makes it as least as good as the Garmin system and probably better. The Apple limits on third party app's running in the background will hamper it a bit, but maybe that will change soon. At the current rate of development for iPhone app's it will be interesting to see what people come up with for this, you have GPS, power, wifi, phone in one unit, so potentially you can transmit all your data live in real-time to a coach.

It's a good platform for getting more information on the move as well: TSS etc on the move, or an info screen for intervals. Who know what else? If you're the group leader on a club ride, wouldn't it be good to be able to get info on where all the riders are if the group splits via GPS picked up on wireless internet? A coach on the move could even see all the power data of all the riders that he's riding with. Plenty of potential.

yeah people don't understand that we've turned a corner and these devices aren't just phones any more... iPhone/iPod Touch is a hand held computer... the potential is basically limitless...

i was actually thinking about this the other day.. i have an iPod Touch... runs the same OS as the iPhone. i think Alex Simmons said he was developing software that could do optimized pacing on the fly... but needed to have a following car to do all the telemetry and i assume the computing etc... with an iPhone/iPod Touch you should be able to run everything right on the device mounted to your handle bars telling you ok on the next hill you need to do 325 Watts, give you on the fly ETAs etc..

think outside the box guys... apps developed for these devices make it possible for someone with even rudimentary programming experience to produce whatever you want... we are no longer limited by what Saris, Garmin, SRM want to give us...

doctorSpoc said:
yeah people don't understand that we've turned a corner and these devices aren't just phones any more... iPhone/iPod Touch is a hand held computer... the potential is basically limitless...

i was actually thinking about this the other day.. i have an iPod Touch... runs the same OS as the iPhone. i think Alex Simmons said he was developing software that could do optimized pacing on the fly... but needed to have a following car to do all the telemetry and i assume the computing etc... with an iPhone/iPod Touch you should be able to run everything right on the device mounted to your handle bars telling you ok on the next hill you need to do 325 Watts, give you on the fly ETAs etc..

think outside the box guys... apps developed for these devices make it possible for someone with even rudimentary programming experience to produce whatever you want... we are no longer limited by what Saris, Garmin, SRM want to give us...
Just remind me when I'm out on the bike is the pissing rain to use a huge role of gaffer tape (duct tape on steroids) to tape my uber expensive phone to my handlebars so I can see the same information that my little yellow plastic el-cheapo looking PT unit is showing me... or are you going to fabricate a mold and start making good handlebar mounts for the iPhones? :p

Can you imagine if it starts hailing what it'd be like if the phone though you were pressing the screen everytime a hailstone hit - funk-o-vision. It'd be almost as bad as handing the remote for the TV to your wife!

swampy1970 said:
Just remind me when I'm out on the bike is the pissing rain to use a huge role of gaffer tape (duct tape on steroids) to tape my uber expensive phone to my handlebars so I can see the same information that my little yellow plastic el-cheapo looking PT unit is showing me... or are you going to fabricate a mold and start making good handlebar mounts for the iPhones? :p

you are really showing your ignorance here...

1) iPod/iPhone accessories a more than a 1 billion a year business (this is not including Apps).. i'm sure someone could make money at it.. and if they are selling you the software i'm sure the price of the mount would be included..
2) i lost my PowerTap CPU last summer and it was $220 to replace.. basically the same price as an iPod Touch.. i guess $220 is a cheapo unit in your world... well i guess the iPod touch is equally a cheapo device for you too, so what's the difference?
3) i guess your powerTap CPU has, maps, routes, directions, elevation, % grade, optimized on the fly pacing stategy, TSS etc, etc.. not to mention the potential for coaches to track their riders during training and racing etc... i guess you got the deluxe model??? LOL!

swampy1970 said:
Can you imagine if it starts hailing what it'd be like if the phone though you were pressing the screen everytime a hailstone hit - funk-o-vision. It'd be almost as bad as handing the remote for the TV to your wife!

HELLO!! it's in a protective case.. and yeah it seems like it's every other day that i find myself riding in a hail storm... not to mention it's wireless.. so you could just put it in your damn pocket for Christ sake.. i don't know about you but i don't find myself even looking at my powerTap CPU when i'm being pelted with painful hail stones so i don't think i'd be missing anything by putting it in my pocket..

http://www.otterbox.com/ipod-touch/ipod-touch-2nd-gen-defender-case/
apl2-tch2g-20-c5otr.2.jpg

http://store.smheartlink.com/category/17334812541/1/iTMP.htm
41QYO8S9WDL._SL400_.jpg

...feel stupid yet?

doctorSpoc said:
you are really showing your ignorance here...

1) iPod/iPhone accessories a more than a 1 billion a year business (this is not including Apps).. i'm sure someone could make money at it.. and if they are selling you the software i'm sure the price of the mount would be included..
2) i lost my PowerTap CPU last summer and it was $220 to replace.. basically the same price as an iPod Touch.. i guess $220 is a cheapo unit in your world... well i guess the iPod touch is equally a cheapo device for you too, so what's the difference?
3) i guess your powerTap CPU has, maps, routes, directions, elevation, % grade, optimized on the fly pacing stategy, TSS etc, etc.. not to mention the potential for coaches to track their riders during training and racing etc... i guess you got the deluxe model??? LOL!

HELLO!! it's in a protective case.. and yeah it seems like it's every other day that i find myself riding in a hail storm... not to mention it's wireless.. so you could just put it in your damn pocket for Christ sake.. i don't know about you but i don't find myself even looking at my powerTap CPU when i'm being pelted with painful hail stones so i don't think i'd be missing anything by putting it in my pocket..

http://www.otterbox.com/ipod-touch/ipod-touch-2nd-gen-defender-case/
apl2-tch2g-20-c5otr.2.jpg

http://store.smheartlink.com/category/17334812541/1/iTMP.htm
41QYO8S9WDL._SL400_.jpg

...feel stupid yet?
No, I don't feel stupid yet...

... because my job is to provide enterprise wide IT solutions. It's what I do for a living. Currently installing a multi-million dollar Cisco solution to one of the largest US based oil companies.

1) I don't care how much Apple makes. It doesn't have a bearing on the useful of the device.

2) How do you lose a bike computer?

3) Why?

I was dealing with Compaq/HP Windows based PDA's delivering Windows content such as SAP back in 2002 to fortune 500 companies. So yes, I have an indepth knowledge of what's really viable in a wide variety of environments, office, city streets, warehouse, industrial production environments riding on trains/buses/automobiles/cranes etc etc... iPhones are not upto the task of the "out and about"ness of being on a bike. iPhones are not even upto the task of being teenager proof!

Besides, I don't need all that info on a bike computer and I highly doubt anyone does. Who really needs "fly pacing stategy, TSS etc, etc.. not to mention the potential for coaches to track their riders during training and racing "? If anyone gets to that level then Johan Bruyneel will be talking their ear piece.

Do tell, if a coach sees you seemingly slacking off during a road race, what are they going to do? Call you on a cell phone when you're off the back in a road race and tell you to get your f#$king finger out? Send you an instant message of "Allez Dr Spock, allez Dr Spock, allez Dr Spock... faster, faster, faster"? Are you going to invoke the qwerty keyboard (which would probably be sideways when strapped onto the stem/bars) and take time to tell him "Sorry, I'm on the rivet right now, no time to talk. I do believe that the above average TSS has induced dead legs and the lack of food this morning has left me a little dead in the legs. I'm about 45 seconds off the back of the lead group but the birds are singing and the skies are blue and well, if I go any harder I'll pop in about 800 yards. Apart from that I'm all peachy... Have a wonderfull day. TTFN"

swampy1970 said:
Besides, I don't need all that info on a bike computer and I highly doubt anyone does. Who really needs "fly pacing stategy, TSS etc, etc.. not to mention the potential for coaches to track their riders during training and racing "? If anyone gets to that level then Johan Bruyneel will be talking their ear piece.

:D Funny how things move on - that's an argument people often use to say don't bother getting a powermeter.

rob of the og said:
:D Funny how things move on - that's an argument people often use to say don't bother getting a powermeter.

...exactly!!

but when i read this it all started to make sense.. lol...
swampy1970 said:
... because my job is to provide enterprise wide IT solutions. It's what I do for a living. Currently installing a multi-million dollar Cisco solution to one of the largest US based oil companies.

i find it kind of funny actually.. when i read the above... i got a huge smirk on my face... now i know who we are dealing with here... in my experience a) working for a large corp with a large IT department and b) a large multinational networking company.. ironically, when i comes to technology... the majority of enterprise IT people are the some of the most conservative, unimaginative, stuck in the mud, what you are using now is good enough, anti-Apple crusading (this is some kind of religion for them), would eat **** on a stick if it was manufactured by Microsoft or Cisco, why can't we all just go back to using command line interfaces, change is a four letter word... people out there.

i don't know if he thinks he's impressing anyone by that quote it simply serves to confirm my initial thoughts, as he belongs to a group of individuals that generally have a really hard time thinking outside of the box and are not very forward thinking... if it was up to IT people we'd still be using smoke signals and messenger pigeons instead of cell phones... but seriously change is not a thing that IT people deal with very well.. and this is completely borne out by his statements/opinions...

swampy - i'm not sure your intentions.. i can guess, but your credentials actually lead me to NOT give much credence to your statements and opinions rather than giving them any weight.. forgetting the fact that they don't actually mesh with reality. i demonstrate that right now.. today, the things you say are not possible or extremely difficult, actually have solutions available... TODAY and still you rattling off your nonsense... you're head is hard man... LOL!!

rob of the og said:
Honestly though, if you have a powermeter you should already know how hard you're capable of going and what good is a coach going to be if they're *** miles away and you're up sh1t creek without a paddle and off the back in a road race because you're having a bad day or you ate something weird for example... Pacing info would be pretty useless. They can't even give you a ride back to the start or give you a cup of tea!

I'm all for cool stuff but the iPhone from crApple is not really a suitable device for this as it's not robust enough. If someone comes out with a "toughbook" version of a pda that has a suitable battery life, useable "on the bike" interface, then maybe... The biggest cell phone company here in the US has already stopped offering 'insurance' on iPhones because there's been too many returns - and this is before you strap it onto a bike.

For after ride analysis it'd probably be a great tool.

If you're doing a bunch of offroad stuff then full on GPS would be useful but then you'd need a real GPS unit for that and not rely on triangulation between cell towers. I can't get signal on my cell phone in most places I ride as it is and I'd hardly call where I live the back of beyond.

But each to his own and if he goes that route then I'd wish him every success.

swampy1970 said:
No, I don't feel stupid yet...

well, you should... you keep defending your assertions by ever silly assertions.. i feel shame for you...

swampy1970 said:
1) I don't care how much Apple makes. It doesn't have a bearing on the useful of the device.

that's not the point.. the false assertion by you, that it is somehow difficult or not practical to mount an iPod Touch or iPhone to a bike or use it in the rain have been demonstrated to be false... that's the point! there are bike mounts and sealed, shock proof enclosure available TODAY for the device... so there is just no way around it you are just wrong on that point..

swampy1970 said:
2) How do you lose a bike computer?

it wasn't picking up a signal so i unattached it from the mount.. reattached it.. probably didn't put it back in securely i was wearing full finger gloves.. was really bumpy course too.. didn't look down for another hour or so.. and when i did it wasn't there anymore.

swampy1970 said:
Honestly though, if you have a powermeter you should already know how hard you're capable of going and what good is a coach going to be if they're *** miles away and you're up sh1t creek without a paddle and off the back in a road race because you're having a bad day or you ate something weird for example... Pacing info would be pretty useless. They can't even give you a ride back to the start or give you a cup of tea!

I'm all for cool stuff but the iPhone from crApple is not really a suitable device for this as it's not robust enough. If someone comes out with a "toughbook" version of a pda that has a suitable battery life, useable "on the bike" interface, then maybe... The biggest cell phone company here in the US has already stopped offering 'insurance' on iPhones because there's been too many returns - and this is before you strap it onto a bike.

For after ride analysis it'd probably be a great tool.

If you're doing a bunch of offroad stuff then full on GPS would be useful but then you'd need a real GPS unit for that and not rely on triangulation between cell towers. I can't get signal on my cell phone in most places I ride as it is and I'd hardly call where I live the back of beyond.

But each to his own and if he goes that route then I'd wish him every success.

both the latest version of iPhones and iPod Touches have on board GPS and don't depend on cell tower triangulation any more... again.. you are demonstrating your lack of knowledge of the device.. i don't know how someone with seemly such little knowledge and incorrect knowledge of the device is speaking the loudest about it's suitabilty for x, y and z

suitable interface? it's a screen, that can have any interface and display you'd like on it... it could even be voice driven.. i don't get it, the things you are saying just don't make any kind of sense... i chalk it up to you just being an Apple hating, MS shill... that's the only thing that makes sense.

doctorSpoc said:
i find it kind of funny actually.. when i read the above... i got a huge smirk on my face...
Got gas? Ask yo momma to burp you...
doctorSpoc said:
now i know who we are dealing with here...
No you don't
doctorSpoc said:
in my experience
You have some? Great!
doctorSpoc said:
a) working for a large corp with a large IT department and b) a large multinational networking company..
a) I don't work for FOR a large corp. b) I don't work FOR a large multinational networking company...
Go on... keep guessing. You're doing a fine job of guessing wrong thus far.

doctorSpoc said:
ironically, when i comes to technology... the majority of enterprise IT people are the some of the most conservative, unimaginative, stuck in the mud
You should stay in your neck of the woods then... Plenty of fun stuff and creating people down here in the Bay Area. But, I've had my fill of PDA related fun - provided content and connectivity for stuff ranging from CRM and VoIP to enterprise email and sharepoint back when it was considered "cutting edge"... like 7 years ago. You say that I'm behind the times... Sheesh.

doctorSpoc said:
what you are using now is good enough, anti-Apple crusading (this is some kind of religion for them), would eat **** on a stick if it was manufactured by Microsoft or Cisco, why can't we all just go back to using command line interfaces, change is a four letter word... people out there.
You seem to love to bring up that "WE HATE APPLE" whenever someone has a critism of one of their products. Do you work for them perchance? The last time I touched Microsoft products for a project was for something that Apple didn't even have a competitive product for.

Why do you seem to have got your butt hurt over what you percieved to by my hatred of Apple stuff? You need some diaper rash ointment for that?

Besides, there's nothing wrong with command line. It keeps those who really don't have a clue away from a friendly GUI interface - not that there's anything wrong with a well put together GUI either.

doctorSpoc said:
both the latest version of iPhones and iPod Touches have on board GPS and don't depend on cell tower triangulation any more... again.. you are demonstrating your lack of knowledge of the device.. i don't know how someone with seemly such little knowledge and incorrect knowledge of the device is speaking the loudest about it's suitabilty for x, y and z
Latest versions... ie the 3G - but aint gonna happen on the original iPhone, ie the one that most people have at the moment. And to be honest I didn't know much about the newer 3G models. After co-workers and kids experience with the original iPhone I decided to steer clear...

But my original assertion still stands. I don't believe that device is really robust enough to be out and about for hours on end on a bike during all four seasons. If they came out with a tougher version then maybe it'll be all fine and dandy...

doctorSpoc said:
i chalk it up to you just being an Apple hating, MS shill... that's the only thing that makes sense.
Oh waaaaa... Cry me a river, on second thoughts, bite me.

doctorSpoc said:
i think Alex Simmons said he was developing software that could do optimized pacing on the fly... but needed to have a following car to do all the telemetry and i assume the computing etc...
For the record, I am not developing any such software.

I have developed a model in MS Excel with which you can:
- post hoc analyse pacing in some detail
- pre-ride analyse a course profile and use an estimated power "budget" to provide a guide to an optimal pacing strategy

doctorSpoc said:
That's all well and good if they're keeping the unit on their person and in the shade (can't really see too much in direct sunlight anyway). But when you consider that the max operating temperature of the unit is 95F, then leaving it out in the midday sun strapped to a set of handlebars in the lower 1/3 of the US during summer is going to cause some issues...

Today's air temp in sunny Swampville, CA 103F. You can bet your bottom dollar the surface temperature of anything black, like the asphalt on the road, would be at least 20F warmer, which is way over the non-operating temp of an iPhone. Can you say iMelt?

But hey, if you can get it too work well in all conditions then more power too ya and I'm not saying that in a sarcastic way either.