Power output figures on this years TDF - Alpe d'Huez

Originally posted by tomUK
Just noticed on LA's web site that this years TDF TT will be up Alpe d'Huez (profile: http://lesfousdhuez.free.fr/images/ventoux.gif) what sort of times/power outputs are we likely to see from the top elite rides?

Also, what will be the average HRs as a percentage of maximum?

Tom.

the link is to a profile of the ventoux...

somewhere around 6.5+ W/kg depending on how long it takes

Avg HR, will depend on how fatigued they are and the depression it causes. as hard training/racing depresses HR, with and without a change in power output

ric

I haven't seen Armstrong's page but the link may be to the Ventoux because recently I believe that the organisers of Dauphine Libere are including a time trial up Ventoux which Armstrong has changed his plans in order to ride.

Thus this year there is the very rare opportunity to have 2 TT's up hardest mountains of France Alpe which is about steepest and Ventoux which is about longest contested by Armstrong who is close to being fastest climber ever. Both these occupy strategic positions in calendar and should be contested on full cylinders.

Pantani in 1997 holds record for Alpe at 37m35s after 190km of racing, Vaughters in ~ 1999 holds record for Ventoux at 56m50s as a pure TT.

Has anybody any guesses as to fastest times on hills?

In normal circumstances both have neutral wind conditions - the Ventoux' Mistral is uncommon in my experience.