Power output, speed, riding position calculator... decent?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug, May 6, 2003.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
    >
    > How does this calculator stack up to the given understanding of output power vs. factors?
    > Opine please.

    Almost all power calculators you find on the web are reasonably similar in the sense that the
    power-speed relationships are very well known as long as one knows the proper inputs. The hardest of
    these to know is the aero drag component (the gravity component is pretty easy, and the rolling
    resistance component is pretty small).

    The innovation of this particular calculator is that rather than have you input the drag coefficient
    and area yourself (CdA), it internally calculates CdA from your height, weight, and bike position.
    Since this part of the calculation is not visible (or at least, I couldn't find it), I can't comment
    on whether it was properly implemented. However, it appears to give answers moderately consistent
    with other calculators I've seen.